Will I Regret Selling Hardtop?

I live in NJ and have never had a hardtop on my Jeep. Best heated vehicle I own. Short cab heats up quick and toasty, no matter how cold it is outside. And contrary to what someone above posted, it’s not drafty at all.

However, as Chris stated, LJ hardtops are not cheap, and not common. The real caveat of selling is, unless you have a garage or awning where you can park the Jeep during the winter or snowy days, the top somewhat hardens and tends to stretch, thus compromising the longevity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KennedyLJ
There is no way I would sell my hard top. Mine is very quiet. I don't see how any soft top could come close to the lack of wind noise or block sound from other vehicles as a good hard top. Mine seals so good that when opening a door you can here it making a suction sound. It is about time to put it away for the summer though.

I think I may pull the trigger and try to sell it. Will give it some more thought over the weekend. The fact that its not a daily seems to play into it. Thank you everyone for the advice.

LJ tops are reportedly uncommon enough I’d find a way to keep one, luckily I have enough storage room that my TJ hard top isn’t a problem. There are just so many soft top options available that the soft top doesn’t add value to the package like a hard top in the unlikely event you need to sell.

For me, it's not about heat. TJ heaters are toasty. It's not about wind noise, drafts, or comfort. Both tops are about the same.
It's more about my factory soft top still being in excellent shape after all these years. Still on my first.
The hard top is just more suitable for winter weather. You can use an ice scraper on the windows. No stitching to deteriorate from sitting out in a damp environment, or snow covered, for days on end.

But, If I didn't have room to store it, or the government decides I may only own one top, the hard top would be the first to go.

I live in Vail Colorado and I sold my hardtop. The jeep warms up real fast, just make sure you clear snow and ice off the top so it doesn't stretch the material.

There it is! Valid. I dont know what low qual tops some people use, but the Bestop I’ve got is a tight seal and like you said, Jeep warms up fast. Never cold inside.

In NJ though, we get snow that falls all day long, most times. Guessing the same in Colorado, depending what location? But if Im at work while my Jeeps sits outside collecting snow, it’d be a b*tch of a day having to constantly move the snow off her. But for the most part, your MO is right. I keep the snow from sitting overnight, when I can.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
There it is! Valid. I dont know what low qual tops some people use, but the Bestop I’ve got is a tight seal and like you said, Jeep warms up fast. Never cold inside.

In NJ though, we get snow that falls all day long, most times. Guessing the same in Colorado, depending what location? But if Im at work while my Jeeps sits outside collecting snow, it’d be a b*tch of a day having to constantly move the snow off her. But for the most part, your MO is right. I keep the snow from sitting overnight, when I can.

Yeah I just did it once a day. I didn't drive the Jeep much this winter. I have a bestop Also and it is a high quality top even being 10 years old.

20190303_104423.jpg

Reactions: fourpointzero
I live in New England, and only have a soft top. It's fine in the winter, doesn't leak, and stays plenty warm inside.

That said, I probably wouldn't sell an LJ hard top if I owned one. They're not the easiest thing to come by.

Reactions: fourpointzero
I couldn't imagine trying to gain access to the rear of the jeep when it's sub 20* weather. That rear window wouldn't last long. I run a hard top in the winter and a factory soft top in the summer. Like having both options. Hard top is quieter no doubt. Top off is my favorite configuration for sure. Luckily, I have a place to store my hardtop, so I'm keeping it.

Reactions: Alex01 and glwood
@FadeToGray, what did you decide? Sell or keep?

I'm keeping it for now. Thinking I'll run part of this coming Winter with the soft top and see how it goes. Then make a decision after that one way or the other. Storage isn't an issue for me, I just really wanted the money for some other mods :)

I’m thinking about selling the gray hardtop from my LJ and using the money for some other mods I want to do.

I’d just use the soft top year round.

Living in New England I’m wondering if I’ll regret the decision.

Anyone else in a cold climate sell their hard top and then regret it?
Never had a hard top. Never needed one. Even with Minnesota winters.

The original owner of my LJ purchased it without the optional hardtop and all that goes with it (dashboard switches, wring harness, hoses, double pump washer bottle, etc.). I bought it from the second owner who lived in a town about an hour away. He tracked down a used hardtop and funny enough bought it years ago from a guy that lived in my town a few streets over from me. I don't think I would have bought it from him if it hadn't come with a hardtop. There's no way I'd want to be fighting with a frozen rear window zipper in the winter.

Where I live the local U-Haul will not let you rent a trailer unless your Jeep Wrangler is outfitted with a hardtop. Maybe not a big deal if you own your own trailer, but just a thought since you are thinking of getting rid of it.

Where I live the local U-Haul will not let you rent a trailer unless your Jeep Wrangler is outfitted with a hardtop. Maybe not a big deal if you own your own trailer, but just a thought since you are thinking of getting rid of it.

That seems odd. Do you know why that is? Maybe they think without a hardtop you're having too much fun to be paying attention to your trailering! lol I've trailered many times with my top down and for some reason I can't explain it feels kind of neat.

That seems odd. Do you know why that is? Maybe they think without a hardtop you're having too much fun to be paying attention to your trailering! lol I've trailered many times with my top down and for some reason I can't explain it feels kind of neat.

I believe it's mainly a safety issue. To be honest I'm not 100 percent sure. I just know when I was looking into it since I was moving that they wouldn't rent me one until I switched over to my hardtop.

Liability reasons would be my guess, in the event of an accident.