Will my TJ be strong enough to launch / recover boat?

WDE

TJ Enthusiast
Will a 2000 TJ 4.0-Manual-3.73 gears-Dana 30/Dana 35-31" tires be strong enough to launch and recover a bow rider type boat/trailer (up to 5000Lbs)?

I've read other threads discussing towing capacity (2000lbs), but it seems the limiting factors were safety issues for on the road. I WILL NOT be towing on the road with the TJ (have an F150 for that). I simply want to use the Jeep to splash and recover a boat which is kept about 20 yards from the private ramp. Other platforms with the 4.0 seem to be rated for 5000 lbs, so the engine and trans should be capable to do it? TJ has an unknown brand/capacity 2" receiver hitch bolted to the frame.

Thanks

Power will be fine, you can put it in 4lo. Remember that it is probably way over anything sane for TJ tongue weight and your steering will be light because the front wheels will be unloaded but I'd do it. Worst case you make a few bucks with a good youtube video of your Jeep underwater. Main thing, you've got plenty of power for the job in 4lo.

Recover it but don't tow it beyond its launching ramp area parking space.

I had a trailered cuddy cabin boat that with its trailer weighed about that much. I occasionally used my TJ in 4Lo to move it around a friend's property I stored it at and the TJ was definitely at its limit. I would have never considered towing it even a very short distance on the street.

I have no idea how to share a video from FB but this one popped up yesterday and seems appropriate.

91B44E6A-E419-4119-9C8C-574C413D5987.jpeg

2DC148C0-3D9E-472B-B4A5-BB1BF76A816A.jpeg

Launching ramps are definitely stressful for drivers of the tow vehicles and boats alike. If the ramp isn't busy there's a strong crosswind, visa-versa, or both. Lots of room for problems, they can definitely be entertaining but only if you're a sadistic son of a bitch LOL.

Launching ramps are definitely stressful for drivers of the tow vehicles and boats alike. If the ramp isn't busy there's a strong crosswind, visa-versa, or both. Lots of room for problems, they can definitely be entertaining but only if you're a sadistic son of a bitch LOL.

Color me sadistic lol. When I was in Florida I launched from the marina of Hurlburt Field or Eglin AFB, both of which had a nice patio bar that faced the ramps. In my decade or so there I probably logged 2000 hours watching marriages fall apart, fights break out, boats falling off trailers, etc... I guess I enjoyed it so much because I've been there - busy Saturday morning, a line 30 boats deep; I was nervous the first time I had to put in when everyone was watching me. It took my wife & me about half a summer to get a real machine going (and lots of yelling). I'd swing around, hop out, unsecure the boat straps, and my wife would slide over and line the trailer up with the pylons using the mirrors until I was floating.

But to address the OP, yes, your TJ can do it. I once had a truck break down at the marina and I called my buddy up with a '99 4 cylinder to just get my boat out. It was a 28' Monterey, with the trailer it was about 5700lbs. He got it out in 4lo & got it parked for me.

Will a 2000 TJ 4.0-Manual-3.73 gears-Dana 30/Dana 35-31" tires be strong enough to launch and recover a bow rider type boat/trailer (up to 5000Lbs)?

I've read other threads discussing towing capacity (2000lbs), but it seems the limiting factors were safety issues for on the road. I WILL NOT be towing on the road with the TJ (have an F150 for that). I simply want to use the Jeep to splash and recover a boat which is kept about 20 yards from the private ramp. Other platforms with the 4.0 seem to be rated for 5000 lbs, so the engine and trans should be capable to do it? TJ has an unknown brand/capacity 2" receiver hitch bolted to the frame.

Thanks

5000 lb boat vs 3900 lb TJ? What could possibly go wrong on a wet incline?:oops:

Boat ramps can be pretty good entertainment, but like anything, you've got to start somewhere. My ex and I had it down to a science. As far as the OP, you'll definitely be fine at the boat ramp. I use to tow a boat with a '92 XJ that was a 2WD and 2.5 liter and never had a problem. It was a 2,000 pound runabout and the XJ did fine. Pulling it out of the water was sometimes interesting due to the 2WD, but I always got the job done.

We did upgrade to a ZJ a few years later with a 5.2, and it was night and day difference. But think about it, people were towing with much worse setups 30 and 40 years ago.

I tow 5 ton (4 wheel) hay wagons up some pretty steep hills with no drama.
A lot of boat ramps used to keep an old early CJ for boat ramp duties up in the Adirondacks for decades until fancy boat people found how profitable a 'claim' for damage could be.

I would steer clear of any steep ramps with anything slimy growing on it. Lots of ramps like that on the salt chuck, especially at low tide.

If you have a manual, consider a supplemental holding brake like a Mico lock or even just a line lock. That way if you have to get out, you’re not only relying on the parking brake and the engine to hold the car in place. The Mico lock can lock up the front wheels as hard as you can press the brake pedal.

I plan on using my 2003 TJ with 32's and 3.73 to tow my 17' flats boat that weighs 1800 lbs rigged out. Does anyone think that I'll have any issues with this? I've got loads of experience towing with trucks; but only limited experience towing with a Jeep.