Will non-available OEM electronic parts finally kill our TJ's?

I just replaced the CPS on my Jeep and the factory part seems to be long gone. Fit guides and images were all over the place to boot. There were a few cheap $13 options but a forum member recommended one that was made in USA which is available for $23. That’s over $100 less than factory part if it was available. So far, no problems at all. A lot of original parts were or are made in Mexico and China so I’m not sure how great they are in the first place.

@Wranglerfix wouls be good to hear on this - he knows what is fixable and what has the possibility of becoming obsolete.

Reactions: Wildman
My take is the TJ has already proven itself a survivor- the engine outlasting the chassis, rust, and abuse has killed many and will kill more than any electronic part- basically typical automotive obsolescence will be seen, but average higher mileage as they are finished off due to the engine longevity-when the 4.0 is done usually the rest is worn out.

- it is actually obvious in Pigeon Forge today- 15-20 4 doors for every TJ you see may be a sign. Although it isn’t as “vacation road trip friendly” as the 4 door, it will destroy one off road- or actually the same trail that doesn’t scratch a TJ can. I’ve seen it.

I told my wife ours saves us money- we can’t shop much- no room to put anything new in it.

Relevance is funny- I felt like I was in a Ford Fairlane at the Jeep Store compared to the big 4 door metal that rolled up- on the road next to another TJ it is just part of the gang.

Last edited:
Well thanks all, I m scared to spend 10-15K on mods and then to end up with a statue that won't run because I can't find a $40 electric sensor

I just replaced the CPS on my Jeep and the factory part seems to be long gone. Fit guides and images were all over the place to boot. There were a few cheap $13 options but a forum member recommended one that was made in USA which is available for $23. That’s over $100 less than factory part if it was available. So far, no problems at all. A lot of original parts were or are made in Mexico and China so I’m not sure how great they are in the first place.
What brand did you find that was made in the USA for $23?

I paid $35 for a genuine Mopar CPS on Ebay. Tons of old parts that will always be around if you look hard enough. My Mopar water pump was only $80.

Dont be disillusioned about aftermarket parts. Mopar is the finest china born junk Standard or others have.
But China is going to squeeze us to death first. Once the take over is complete, flow will start again.

200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
It's a nonissue. The sensors used by Chrysler are generic for the period. Nothing special about them at all. Even if a specific sensor were to become difficult to acquire most likely there would be a compatible substitution. We have run across this issue several times in past years with the Viper sensors. That 05-06 speed sensor could easily be replaced with a standard proximity sensor with an adapter sleeve. Same thing with the OPDA sensor folks seem to have so many problems with.

Reactions: J.Pierce
I paid $35 for a genuine Mopar CPS on Ebay. Tons of old parts that will always be around if you look hard enough. My Mopar water pump was only $80.
It's a nonissue. The sensors used by Chrysler are generic for the period. Nothing special about them at all. Even if a specific sensor were to become difficult to acquire most likely there would be a compatible substitution. We have run across this issue several times in past years with the Viper sensors. That 05-06 speed sensor could easily be replaced with a standard proximity sensor with an adapter sleeve. Same thing with the OPDA sensor folks seem to have so many problems with.
Both of these are good responses. There were SO many TJs built that as they appreciate in value and people keep the ones they in the road, those that are no longer fit for service will be parted. Those parts will go into the "pool" and are every bit as good as new, generally.

If that doesn't work, you need to figure out what the sensor does and find a substitute.

If it really gets bad, engines run without computers all the time. They won't make as much power, but a distributor, coil, and carburetor was all anyone needed to get down the road.

I wouldn't worry about having a brick.

Super thanks Jezza, I pray to God your right as I have any 01 and an 03 and have and will continue to place a pail full of money in them. Just don't want them to be yard ornaments.