Will non-available OEM electronic parts finally kill our TJ's?

Super thanks Jezza, I pray to God your right as I have any 01 and an 03 and have and will continue to place a pail full of money in them. Just don't want them to be yard ornaments.

If it really gets bad, engines run without computers all the time. They won't make as much power, but a distributor, coil, and carburetor was all anyone needed to get down the road.

I wouldn't worry about having a brick.
Or a different computer all together like the AEM Infinity that I'm currently running.
Super thanks Jezza, I pray to God your right as I have any 01 and an 03 and have and will continue to place a pail full of money in them. Just don't want them to be yard ornaments.
I wouldn't be as concerned about parts retiring the TJs as I would future taxes and fees associated with running internal combustion products pricing most of us off the platform.

Just keep in mind that an EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) could quickly stop every vehicle, and more, from running.
Sorry, but no. An EMP has little or no direct effect on most vehicles, including TJs. In one documented test that I found, a small percentage of vehicles with the motors running were stalled when hit with EMP in a controlled test chamber and all but one was able to restart immediately. There was no effect on vehicles that did not have the motor running at the time of the EMP test.

This test was done quite a while ago, so the effect on newer vehicles has not been studied, AFAIK.

It is worth noting, however, that after a nationwide EMP attach, all cars could quickly become useless because of the disruption to fuel supply.

https://www.futurescience.com/emp/vehicles.html

Well thanks all, I m scared to spend 10-15K on mods and then to end up with a statue that won't run because I can't find a $40 electric sensor
chevy 250 dual point distributor and a 258 manifold and carb with a cheap rattle pump will save you from the zombies...

• Haha
Reactions: Irun
Time kills electrolytic capacitors, spares on the shelf die a slow death too...
IF the sensors and other electronics in the heat of the engine compartment can last 15-20 years....; then sitting in a box in my parts cabinet should be just fine until they are needed.

Can you think of one example of a vehicle ever made that is a yard ornament because parts aren't available. Even Studebaker parts are easy to find. I don't understand where the worry is coming from?

There are SO many ( millions and millions) of desirable cars in the same age and situation as the TJ. .Megasquirt or AEM or others will fill the void when the time comes. There is too much money to make keeping old cars running. Same as the old days of buying repo parts for classics. The new generation of repo parts will be electronic.

Reactions: pagrey
Can you think of one example of a vehicle ever made that is a yard ornament because parts aren't available. Even Studebaker parts are easy to find. I don't understand where the worry is coming from?
And non of them have electronics with electrolytic capacitors you are talking tubes…

And non of them have electronics with electrolytic capacitors you are talking tubes…
I made a CNC plasma table back in 08’. The company that supplied the drives ran out of a chip that is on a hand held pendant controller. It’s a $200 item. I cannot find a replacement. Looking at $3k plus labor to retrofit entire system to “available” parts. Plus all new software to learn and train on. It’s a real thing.

Hopefully in 20 years or so when gasoline-powered transportation is almost obsolete, EV powertrain swaps will be a lot cheaper and more effective. There are quite a few kits already but they're either very expensive or limited range.

IF the sensors and other electronics in the heat of the engine compartment can last 15-20 years....; then sitting in a box in my parts cabinet should be just fine until they are needed.
I would put them in a faraday box or case. This way the chip integrity cannot be leached. I keep important electronics that are still usable in cases. I like the stuff made by mission darkness.

Hopefully in 20 years or so when gasoline-powered transportation is almost obsolete, EV powertrain swaps will be a lot cheaper and more effective. There are quite a few kits already but they're either very expensive or limited range.
This could have been posted 20 years ago. I remember driving an EV1 for the first time. Nothing has changed the way I see it. Gas is cheaper here than it is in Europe and they don't switch, they'll go first. It's just a rich kid fad here.

I would put them in a faraday box or case. This way the chip integrity cannot be leached. I keep important electronics that are still usable in cases. I like the stuff made by mission darkness.
Good luck with your electrolytic capacitors.