Will non-available OEM electronic parts finally kill our TJ's?

Hopefully in 20 years or so when gasoline-powered transportation is almost obsolete, EV powertrain swaps will be a lot cheaper and more effective. There are quite a few kits already but they're either very expensive or limited range.
Ev is not even close to 1:1 power factor conversion. Might not ever be. Look to hydrogen.

Reactions: Zorba
They made 60-90,000 TJ per year according to my nonscientific google search. Pretty common vehicle.

As they are becoming older it seems like spare parts are becoming very available and cheap. TJs getting parted out left and right up here in the rust belt.

I made a CNC plasma table back in 08’. The company that supplied the drives ran out of a chip that is on a hand held pendant controller. It’s a $200 item. I cannot find a replacement. Looking at $3k plus labor to retrofit entire system to “available” parts. Plus all new software to learn and train on. It’s a real thing.
This is a real problem. When I worked IT, our machine shop was encountering this problem ALL the time. A "Sony" CNC mill was basically useless because of obsolete electronics. Cost to retrofit was around $5K as I recall. CNC equipment is fantastic, but it isn't like a Bridgeport mill from the 1940s. If you need it, you need it - but if you don't: Avoid like the plague! Automobiles "don't".

I collect old sewing machines. Are they as easy/convenient to use as the new computerized wonders? Of course not. BUT - 100 years from now, my old machines will still be running if someone squirts some oil in their general direction every year or two - compared to the computerized wonders that will be obsolete in 5 years, unrepairable in 10, and broken in 15!

Reactions: TJRick and WSS
This is a real problem. When I worked IT, our machine shop was encountering this problem ALL the time. A "Sony" CNC mill was basically useless because of obsolete electronics. Cost to retrofit was around $5K as I recall. CNC equipment is fantastic, but it isn't like a Bridgeport mill from the 1940s. If you need it, you need it - but if you don't: Avoid like the plague! Automobiles "don't".

I collect old sewing machines. Are they as easy/convenient to use as the new computerized wonders? Of course not. BUT - 100 years from now, my old machines will still be running if someone squirts some oil in their general direction every year or two - compared to the computerized wonders that will be obsolete in 5 years, unrepairable in 10, and broken in 15!
This was my first “CNC” machine I had built. My weld machines while automatic, are all DC and solid state driven. I’m on my third gen now and the first is still running 25 years later. Just replace switches and relays really.

I was bored and out of work when I built the CNC, it has it’s uses but I’m just about done with it. ten years is not enough.

In this forum, now, 05-06 speed sensors unavailable
Thought it was '05-'06 Rubicons that had the electronic speedometer drive availability problem.

Think lack of frames would more of a reason causing the end of the TJ/LJ. Series Landrovers have serious problems with frame and firewall rust. Because of the tax benefit of owning an older car in Britain there was enough demand that after market suppliers began manufacturing frames. Hopefully that will be the case with the LJ/TJ they are so loved.

Think lack of frames would more of a reason causing the end of the TJ/LJ. Series Landrovers have serious problems with frame and firewall rust.
Not with Throttle Down Kustoms, Safe-T-Caps and others making and fixing frames. Rust is the least of the problems with POS Land Rovers.

This was my first “CNC” machine I had built. My weld machines while automatic, are all DC and solid state driven. I’m on my third gen now and the first is still running 25 years later. Just replace switches and relays really.

I was bored and out of work when I built the CNC, it has it’s uses but I’m just about done with it. ten years is not enough.
Ten years is nowhere near enough - I'd expect 50 as a bare minimum. The TelCos really have a racket going with smartphones - and its conditioned people to expect this. Same is true of household appliances and other so-called "durable goods". 15 to 20 was the norm, now you're lucky to get 10. I'm buying Speed Queen "next time" as they're reputed to actually last.

Ten years is nowhere near enough - I'd expect 50 as a bare minimum. The TelCos really have a racket going with smartphones - and its conditioned people to expect this. Same is true of household appliances and other so-called "durable goods". 15 to 20 was the norm, now you're lucky to get 10. I'm buying Speed Queen "next time" as they're reputed to actually last.
I went to buy a speed queen two weeks ago, can't find one! But, they are steadily producing and have predictable delivery times. I am in line for a washer mid November. For now, I put a catch tray under our 3yo front load washer to keep from damaging the floor. A) door gasket is not available and B) it is $300 to replace.

There will always be used parts available if the new ones completely dry up. And if that doesn't work, there will be some upgrade that does things better. A good number of mods out there exist because of some factory part failing and some clever person seeing an opportunity to do things better.

Two things to keep in mind:

1) If I end up with the last TJ standing, I'll be happy I lived that long.

2) The more of us that continue to pour money and love into our TJ's the more attention they will get from the parts manufacturers.

Reactions: L J and WSS
I worked on cnc mills that still use 3-1/2” floppies for driving the controls

• Wow
Reactions: Claybirdd
My early-sixties sewing machine still works like new and does a much better job than the plastic computerized machines they sell today. I've made everything from roll-up soft sides for my LJ Safari Cab to pop-up camper sides to storage bags with this one and I wouldn't ever trade it for a sewing machine with electronics in it. I expect this one will last longer than I do.

SewingMachine_zpshj6sslsk.jpg

I worry every day about electronics availability making my '06 Wranglers obsolete.

• Love
Reactions: TJRick and Zorba
Just keep in mind that an EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) could quickly stop every vehicle, and more, from running.

Otherwise, don't worry about it.
Carburetor...mechanical fuel injection... pair either with a dizzy and I promise plenty of vehicles will be running just fine in your theoretical doomsday future. Albeit maybe without a tape deck so I probably wouldn't drive much then anyway.

Carburetor...mechanical fuel injection... pair either with a dizzy and I promise plenty of vehicles will be running just fine in your theoretical doomsday future. Albeit maybe without a tape deck so I probably wouldn't drive much then anyway.
Need manual transmission and park on a hill, forget the dizzy, magneto with impulse coupling…

My early-sixties sewing machine still works like new and does a much better job than the plastic computerized machines they sell today. I've made everything from roll-up soft sides for my LJ Safari Cab to pop-up camper sides to storage bags with this one and I wouldn't ever trade it for a sewing machine with electronics in it. I expect this one will last longer than I do.

View attachment 286369

I worry every day about electronics availability making my '06 Wranglers obsolete.
Can't help but take a moment to appreciate the fit and finish on that beauty...
Need manual transmission and park on a hill, forget the dizzy, magneto with impulse coupling…
Park on a hill? Starter motor will be fine. The scope of damage imposed by an EM discharge is not as broad and all-encompassing as the average prepper tends to believe. Transmission yes, standard is key, er, I seem to have forgotten automatic transmission exists.