Will steering stabilizer correct highway "floating"?

Yes, I checked the tire pressure (don't remember exactly what it was) and made sure it was correct in all four tires and adjusted them so they all matched to the pound. That was the very first thing I checked!

I will try to post pictures shortly, however, the person who recommended the gas shocks is family, who has had many, many jeeps- both custom and extreme, had his own Jeep dealership before retiring, and is what I would consider an expert in this field, to a point!

I will try to post pictures shortly, however, the person who recommended the gas shocks is family, who has had many, many jeeps- both custom and extreme, had his own Jeep dealership before retiring, and is what I would consider an expert in this field, to a point!
SOME gas-charged shocks are great, others aren't good choices for our Jeeps as they will rattle your teeth out. It all depends on the shock and how it is valved.

I hate a bad driving vehicle. Wears you out.

Now I'm getting a little addgrevated. That "float" issue is still there. The wheel doesn't pull to any one side in particular, it just floats from side to side, so it feels like you're always trying to anticipate and fight the wheel on the straight aways.
1) Tire pressure — check
2) Tie rods and ball joints inspected - check
3) Steering box adjustment - check
4) New gas filled shocks - check
5) New steering stabilizer - check
6) New upper & lower control arms front & back - check
7) Sanity... no check
I'm puzzled, as there is not anything visibly wrong. A friend of mine has the exact same jeep, same year same lift, same size tires, etc... and does not have this problem. We were comparing everything under my Jeep, to everything under his, side by side yesterday. There were no differences except all my parts were new! I have not changed the track bars yet, but really don't want to keep changing parts, just to have no change in the results!

What tire pressure did you end up trying and what tires do you have? Some off road tires just suck on road unfortunately.

Reactions: JMT
I've got M/T 33X12's on it now, but don't remember the tire pressure because that was the first bridge I crossed.

Now I'm getting a little addgrevated. That "float" issue is still there. The wheel doesn't pull to any one side in particular, it just floats from side to side, so it feels like you're always trying to anticipate and fight the wheel on the straight aways.
1) Tire pressure — check
7) Sanity... no check
I'm puzzled, as there is not anything visibly wrong. A friend of mine has the exact same jeep, same year same lift, same size tires, etc... and does not have this problem. We were comparing everything under my Jeep, to everything under his, side by side yesterday. There were no differences except all my parts were new! I have not changed the track bars yet, but really don't want to keep changing parts, just to have no change in the results!

Sir the first thing you need to check if it's floating or following lines in the road is the hub bearings in the front.

Reactions: TBOLT
I've got M/T 33X12's on it now, but don't remember the tire pressure because that was the first bridge I crossed.
I dunno how you can't remember the pressure in your tires, you should be checking it on a regular basis since tires lose pressure over time. 26 unloaded and 28 psi when the Jeep is fully loaded with people and/or gear is what that size tire should have in it when supporting a vehicle with the weight of a Wrangler.

Do check your toe-in for sure as improper toe-in is a very common cause of a floaty feeling while driving. In addition to overinflated tires.

Last edited:
Reactions: tquig01
1) Tire pressure — check
7) Sanity... no check

I would have expected to see front end alignment (toe-in) checked. The steering system design on Jeeps means it won't "pull" to one side if mis-aligned, but not enough toe-in will cause the front to feel loose. Additionally, when you say upper/lower control arms, what do you mean? Are you just looking for play in them? If so, check your front pinion angle in respect to the front driveshaft. When I put adjustable ones on and dialed them in for the pinion angle, along with a re-alignment, my steering improved 100% - no float. The camber is fixed on the TJs (no independent adjustment) but the proper pinion sets the camber within acceptable limits.

I can tell you first hand that not enough toe-in will cause drifting as I've experienced it.
Jacked the Jeep, set Toe-in 1/16th in and drifting went away.

I had a similar issue when I first bought mine and there were several issues that all contributed to the problem.
1: Pitman arm was loose on the test drive, tightened that up and it helped.
2: Frame side of the trackbar was worn out, so replaced that and it helped more.
3: Bottom bushing / bearing in steering gearbox was shot and it had a dropped pitman arm. Replaced the gearbox and put on a stock replacement arm and now it's great.
No more wandering or catching up with the slack on a windy day or a curvy road.

I dunno how you can't remember the pressure in your tires, you should be checking it on a regular basis since tires lose pressure over time. 26 unloaded and 28 psi when the Jeep is fully loaded with people and/or gear is what that size tire should have in it when supporting a vehicle with the weight of a Wrangler.

Do check your toe-in for sure as improper toe-in is a very common cause of a floaty feeling while driving. In addition to overinflated tires.
The toe in is a good Idea, thank you. Are you sure on that tire pressure for 33x12's? I don't check it every day... I haven't been driving it! For some reason, I think it was 35lbs, but will check again.

I had a similar issue when I first bought mine and there were several issues that all contributed to the problem.
1: Pitman arm was loose on the test drive, tightened that up and it helped.
2: Frame side of the trackbar was worn out, so replaced that and it helped more.
3: Bottom bushing / bearing in steering gearbox was shot and it had a dropped pitman arm. Replaced the gearbox and put on a stock replacement arm and now it's great.
No more wandering or catching up with the slack on a windy day or a curvy road.
I don't have a dropped pitman, however I have not gotten to the track arms yet.. I was hope not to have to change the steering box, but have considered that as well. I Think I'm going to check the toe in, and the tire pressure again. Thanks for your help!

I would have expected to see front end alignment (toe-in) checked. The steering system design on Jeeps means it won't "pull" to one side if mis-aligned, but not enough toe-in will cause the front to feel loose. Additionally, when you say upper/lower control arms, what do you mean? Are you just looking for play in them? If so, check your front pinion angle in respect to the front driveshaft. When I put adjustable ones on and dialed them in for the pinion angle, along with a re-alignment, my steering improved 100% - no float. The camber is fixed on the TJs (no independent adjustment) but the proper pinion sets the camber within acceptable limits.
Thanks, the alignment is definately on the table now!