Will Teraflex single rate sway bar work with 2” lift?

gg1

TJ Enthusiast
So my '04 Jeep has a Terraflex system on the front and I would assume it is for a 4"-6" lift since that is what is on the Jeep. I will confirm that at some point, but lets say it is correct. Here is the kit.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/tj-4-6-front-single-rate-s-t-sway-bar-kit

Now, can I use it if I am going down to a 2" lift? I also need the sway bar links, but that looks simple enough to order the 0"-3" lift ones.

I would like to keep the system in place if I can, but maybe I can't. Thanks.

So my '04 Jeep has a Terraflex system on the front and I would assume it is for a 4"-6" lift since that is what is on the Jeep. I will confirm that at some point, but lets say it is correct. Here is the kit.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/tj-4-6-front-single-rate-s-t-sway-bar-kit

Now, can I use it if I am going down to a 2" lift? I also need the sway bar links, but that looks simple enough to order the 0"-3" lift ones.

I would like to keep the system in place if I can, but maybe I can't. Thanks.
Hopefully someone here can answer your question. However, there must be a reason as to why they sell two seperate kits. A phone call to them could easily clear this up. But my best guess is no.

Reactions: Chris
I don’t see why you couldn’t use it. The only real catch is that at 2” of lift, you’ll need to shorten the sway bar end links by several inches I suspect. But if it’s like the Currie Antirock system, then that is very easy to do!

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Never mind, that one requires 4-6” of lift. You’ll need to call TeraFlex and see if they can sell you shorter end links for a 2” lift.

Yeah, I have an email in to them. Then there is this little hitch on the description.
• Requires aftermarket wheels w/ 4.5” backspacing or less – or TeraFlex offset wheel adapters for stock wheels.

What is the backspacing I have on my stock wheels? This is probably why there are no end links on the Jeep at all at this time. I have a feeling this TeraFlex is coming off my Jeep and I will put a stock one back on. I am not interested in putting spacers on my wheels as I am going to be flush already with 32's on there. I will probably have to call on Monday. I doubt this is going to work without spacers.

Backspacing on factory Moab wheels is 5”.
Thanks. .5" off the mark. lol It is probably coming off and I will sell it, but will wait for the response from Teraflex. Guess I just could have waited, but figured this is an odd topic, so why not have it in the books incase someone wants to search it later. I will post their reply.

Before you scrap it, I would contact Teraflex to see if they would provide the links from the 0-3" version. I imagine that is the only difference.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/tj-0-3-front-single-rate-s-t-sway-bar-kit

I cannot see why they recommend 4.5" or less back spaced wheels, without seeing this installed. Do you have any photos of this swaybar on your TJ you can post? Curious to see what this looks like, and if the links come close to rubbing the wheels...

I see that you are running the stock Moab wheels, so unless you have wheel spacers on there now, the back spacing issue is moot unless you have issues with the wheels contacting the sway bar links now.

Last edited:
Before you scrap it, I would contact Teraflex to see if they would provide the links from the 0-3" version. I imagine that is the only difference.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/tj-0-3-front-single-rate-s-t-sway-bar-kit

I cannot see why they recommend 4.5" or less back spaced wheels, without seeing this installed. Do you have any photos of this swaybar on your TJ you can post? Curious to see what this looks like, and if the links come close to rubbing the wheels...

I see that you are running the stock Moab wheels, so unless you have wheel spacers on there now, the back spacing issue is moot unless you have issues with the wheels contacting the sway bar links now.

There are no sway bar links on the Jeep right now. Just empty space. My guess is the prior owner just didn't run sway bar links at all because they hit. I am guessing of course. I will run something down between the two holes and see if it will hit. I suspect it will and that is why there is no sway bar links installed.

Jeep is at my friend's garage, so I can't take a picture or two right now. I will post full follow ups on this, incase someone out there runs into this. Probably kind of rare to lower a Jeep and on top of that it has a Teraflex system on it. lol One never knows though. Maybe someone will have this situation.

There are no sway bar links on the Jeep right now. Just empty space. My guess is the prior owner just didn't run sway bar links at all because they hit. I am guessing of course. I will run something down between the two holes and see if it will hit. I suspect it will and that is why there is no sway bar links installed.

Jeep is at my friend's garage, so I can't take a picture or two right now. I will post full follow ups on this, incase someone out there runs into this. Probably kind of rare to lower a Jeep and on top of that it has a Teraflex system on it. lol One never knows though. Maybe someone will have this situation.
So if the links are not on, what keeps the arms from dropping down? Or are those not on either?

I tried to find some reviews and/or install pix of this Teraflex sway bar system, there's not much out there...

tire hits the arm on the dual stacked side with stock wheels. the links aren't in the way. it can be run with stock suspension using proper length links.

So if the links are not on, what keeps the arms from dropping down? Or are those not on either?

The arms can lock into place with a turn of a knob. It is an interesting system as it allows to disconnect the sway bars with a turn of a knob instead of having disconnects on the sway bar links, so no quick disconnects needed. At least that is how I think it works. I will get more on it as time goes by.

The arms can lock into place with a turn of a knob. It is an interesting system as it allows to disconnect the sway bars with a turn of a knob instead of having disconnects on the sway bar links, so no quick disconnects needed. At least that is how I think it works. I will get more on it as time goes by.

What is the difference between the TF single rate sway bar and a factory bar with cheap disconnects?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What is the difference between the TF single rate sway bar and a factory bar with cheap disconnects?

Supposedly disconnects/reconnects with the turn of a knob vs. disconnecting two links and securing them up out of the way, then having to line them up and reconnect.

Supposedly disconnects/reconnects with the turn of a knob vs. disconnecting two links and securing them up out of the way, then having to line them up and reconnect.

Is it worth $650 for what amounts to a fancy set of disconnects? Their dual rate bar is the better choice if you can afford it for $880. Stiff for the road and soft for the trail. That is what you want.

Yep and the sway bar itself is very heavy duty. It is a cool system for sure.

If a single rate sway bar is what you want, then the Antirock is the far superior product. It actually improves off road performance. And it doesn't require new wheels. And I first ran mine with a 2" lift. Being disconnected is not necessarily a desirable thing.

Last edited:
Is it worth $650 for what amounts to a fancy set of disconnects? Their dual rate bar is the better choice if you can afford it for $880. Stiff for the road and soft for the trail. That is what you want.
He doesn't have to shell out $650. It's already on the Jeep.

As far as a dual-rate sway bar system, SwayLOC by ORO is a better choice than the TF, which is probably a knock-off of the SwayLOC, and the SL is less @ $690.

Reactions: jjvw

Yep, the question is if I am keeping it or not. I wouldn't buy it as I don't need it. I like riding on crazy hills in the snow that have signs saying "no winter maintenance". Maybe a little climbing in the mud here and there. Not enough to justify such a system. It is on there, so I will most likely keep it if there are no issues doing so.

Hope that is on the mark, then I could keep the system since it is there other than the links. Thanks.

yep. I have used one, it got put on my brothers rig, I went to an antirock. I also have a sway loc which has gotten shelved and is for sale due to tire clearance.

As far as a dual-rate sway bar system, SwayLOC by ORO is a better choice than the TF, which is probably a knock-off of the SwayLOC, and the SL is less @ $690.

I'm not sure I agree on the sway loc being better. these are essentially the same with different locks and link arms. the teraflex offers more tire clearance. the tubes are about the same diameter as are the inner rods for the lighter rate.