Will the Jeep TJ become a "classic" in 10-20 years, like the CJ is today?

Will Jeep TJs be considered a "classic" in 10 - 20 years?

• Yes

Votes: 85 59.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • More than 20 years

Votes: 25 17.6%
  • Less than 10 years

Votes: 25 17.6%

• Total voters
This off Hagertys web site.. Nota TJ, but 55 years older...

Jeep CJ-3B
Average value is $9000 for a #3-condition car.

If it has a vertical seven-slat grille and says Jeep on the rear, chances are it’s collectible. Jeeps of nearly every vintage are doing well, and that includes the classic 1949–65 CJ-3. It’s not exactly a luxury automobile, having a lot more in common with its military brethren than it does with later models, but people keep wanting one, so values continue to rise. It may not be long before CJ-3s in general break out of the “under $10K” category; in fact, some early models already have.

Hard to believe any TJ will be worth more than a CJ3 in 10 years.

"Cars 20 years and older typically fall into the classic class".
Yeah but that implies the body style is 20 years old. The youngest TJ just turned 13. Price is usually driven by rarity.

In BC the definition for a Collector Car Plate is 25 years.... or a marque out of production for 5 years. All Saturns, Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs qualify. And I think Hummers too. Even the H3.

Reactions: KCNoDots

Jeep CJ-3B

If it has a vertical seven-slat grille and says Jeep on the rear, chances are it’s collectible. Jeeps of nearly every vintage are doing well, and that includes the classic 1949–65 CJ-3. It’s not exactly a luxury automobile, having a lot more in common with its military brethren than it does with later models, but people keep wanting one, so values continue to rise. It may not be long before CJ-3s in general break out of the “under $10K” category; in fact, some early models already have.

View attachment 76319

Those CJ3s are so cool looking 🆒

Reactions: DrDmoney
If Rick Grimes would’ve thought to grab a TJ, and keep it going, he’d still be alive today. That being said, if you don’t currently have a hard top and full doors, you need to get to work. When the world turns to crap we will be hunted for our Jeeps!
Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

2A747ABB-7A86-4DEB-9634-8F57EFAE9518.jpeg

Jeep CJ-3B

View attachment 76319

Mine will be. It's both OEM. I think the jacked up modded ones will not qualify to be on a classic jeep category someday.

I think a lot of folks see stock TJs and think "classic Jeep" already. Everytime I go somewhere in mine, I get people telling me about how they wish they'd have kept their old Jeep. I said from the day I got my LJ that I'm going to keep it basically stock. At least nothing that can't be easily reversed. Not many people want one that someone has already "built".

I think a lot of folks see stock TJs and think "classic Jeep" already. Everytime I go somewhere in mine, I get people telling me about how they wish they'd have kept their old Jeep. I said from the day I got my LJ that I'm going to keep it basically stock. At least nothing that can't be easily reversed. Not many people want one that someone has already "built".
True! I have kept all of my stock parts so I could revert it back if I ever wanted to

I think they will always be desirable because they have a great balance of old school and new . They are easy to work on and mod like an old CJ but they actually drive decent. My wife will drive the TJ but only liked to ride in the CJ . Plus they tend to have less of the cheesy stigma some of the JKUs have .
I also believe tasteful mods will not kill the value. I used to buy and sell a lot of collector cars and one of the main drivers for that is people that had to sell or could never afford their dream car . Lots of people sell their Jeeps for different life changes . I sold my Scambler when my wife was pregnant with our son . It took 13 years to get another one . The good thing is she likes this one ! She even has opinions on how this one should be bilt ( not sure if that is good or bad ) lol

Reactions: KCNoDots
I have kept all of my stock parts so I could revert it back if I ever wanted to
Not being critical, just that for me, I doubt I'll ever sell mine. I wish I still had my '78 F250 CrewCab, my '52 M38, my '70 TA, my '69 Cortina, no more regrets, I want to be buried in my TJR. And I like it modified.

Nice TJ’s are already sought after and bring good money.

I’m a CJ -7 guy , had 3 , and a YJ, the TJ is everything they weren’t . In my opinion the TJ basically is the CJ design refined to its highest point.

At 63 years old, I've always chuckled at the "It's 20+ years old, so it IS a classic!" statement. Really?! So you're saying that a Yugo is a "classic" then? I. Don't. THINK. So!

From where I sit, a true "classic vehicle" HAS to be not only X amount of years old, but it must also be "desirable" to a few more people than your Uncle Mert. You'd be pretty hard-pressed to find ONE person in 100 that would actually "desire" a Yugo at ANY price point, no?

But then I'm the same guy that doesn't get owning a "pet bird" either. My nephew, who my wife and I think a lot of, works for an oil company in South America. For X-Mas he sent us a live bird all the way from South America. He called us on 12/26 and asked us: "Did you get that bird I sent you?" "You bet!" I replied - "He was DELICIOUS!" "You don't mean you ATE that bird! Geez, that bird was worth a fortune - he spoke two languages!" "Well, I replied - he should have SAID something!":ROFLMAO:
I vote that you should get comment of the day!