Will these aftermarket seats fit in my TJ?

Heavyp08

Hey y'all!

Im relatively new to the TJ world, so please pardon any ignorances I may have in regards to my TJ. I bought a used TJ for an amazing deal but man, the seats in it are junk. In SoCal, I see alot of aftermarket seats for sale and I am most interested in a pair for my wrangler. My question: do aftermarket seats fit TJs? How difficult a job is this?

For example, I see a lot of seats up for grabs like this and would really like to grab them if they work for my jeep:
IMG_3549.jpg

Any insight into seats for a TJ, I would highly appreciate!

Just measure the width of the bases of the seats. As long as they are not wider than your current seats you can probably get them to work. However you will need to make seat base adapters. And the cheaper seats don’t tend to hold up well long term

Cheap seats like those won't hold up long. My better quality Bestop seats (imported from China) didn't even hold up long, they had to replace my driver's side twice under warranty. The foam under the upholstery at the bolster kept crumbling and collapsing.

I ended up with quality American suspension seats from PRP and they've been great since 2013.

Here's a copy of the original writeup of my PRP installation done in 2013, it was moved here in 2018 which is why it's dated more recently.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ortable-seats-with-prp-suspension-seats.9905/

Reactions: Tray Burge
Cheap seats like those won't hold up long. My better quality Bestop seats (imported from China) didn't even hold up long, they had to replace my driver's side twice under warranty. The foam under the upholstery at the bolster kept crumbling and collapsing.

I ended up with quality American suspension seats from PRP and they've been great since 2013.

Here's a copy of the original writeup of my PRP installation done in 2013, it was moved here in 2018 which is why it's dated more recently.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ortable-seats-with-prp-suspension-seats.9905/
This is great info thanks. Def an investment I see, but it seems worth it.

There's a HUGE delta between crapola seats and GOOD aftermarket seats! I've replaced seats in a dozen vehicles that I've built over the years, and I can tell you that for ME, if they ain't REAL Recaros or Scheel-Mann seats (both from Germany, with the quality that you'd EXPECT from Teutonic design and execution), then I'd stick with the stock seats. There's some good 'yards in the El Lay area, including a Jeep 'yard in Sun Valley - you can prolly contact them and see if you can "swap out" your seats for a better example of same (plus a liberal dose of YOUR cash, of course), and just R&R them on the spot. Just make sure all your bolts are "pre-loosened" and then re-tightened before you go, so you don't run the risk of a frozen or broken bolt(s) when you get there. I'd call first too. IMHO, the stock TJ seats in decent condition aren't that bad, unless you're planning on some HEAVY wheeling...

There's a HUGE delta between crapola seats and GOOD aftermarket seats! I've replaced seats in a dozen vehicles that I've built over the years, and I can tell you that for ME, if they ain't REAL Recaros or Scheel-Mann seats (both from Germany, with the quality that you'd EXPECT from Teutonic design and execution), then I'd stick with the stock seats. There's some good 'yards in the El Lay area, including a Jeep 'yard in Sun Valley - you can prolly contact them and see if you can "swap out" your seats for a better example of same (plus a liberal dose of YOUR cash, of course), and just R&R them on the spot. Just make sure all your bolts are "pre-loosened" and then re-tightened before you go, so you don't run the risk of a frozen or broken bolt(s) when you get there. I'd call first too. IMHO, the stock TJ seats in decent condition aren't that bad, unless you're planning on some HEAVY wheeling...
I’m totally fine with stock seats, I just figured if I’m going to be spending money on replacing seats, I would humor them idea of swapping them altogether with better stuff. Thanks for the heads up

It seems like aftermarket (stuff that isn’t even somewhat reputable) is simply not the way. I appreciate the honesty and feedback. I would like to keep this TJ a long time, so I guess I’ll just have to save up my pennies for the real deal!

It seems like aftermarket (stuff that isn’t even somewhat reputable) is simply not the way.

Mastercraft Safety and PRP are the companies to look to for aftermarket TJ seats. Additionally, seats with high bolsters like those you posted aren't a great choice for a TJ.

Reactions: Tray Burge