Will this shifter handle work?

Rickwhoo

TJ Enthusiast
I want to replace my shift handle with something different. Has anyone found one? I want something like this... Not sure if this one would work.

614YkoaN4BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: LakeBeard
I wouldn't mind a different T-handle on my shifter but I wouldn't want another that had the button on top like some of my cars had years ago.

How about doing away with the button altogether? My TJ is manual, but I never grokked the button thing - my old MBZ doesn't have one.

I installed a similar one a few years ago with the button on the top, I just recently reinstalled the factory handle as I found that the factory handle was just more comfortable and natural to use, the only benefit I found with the other one was that my knee did not hit it quite as much. Just my thoughts and opinion, hope it helps.

I installed a similar one a few years ago with the button on the top, I just recently reinstalled the factory handle as I found that the factory handle was just more comfortable and natural to use,
X2, that's why automotive factories stopped making automatic shifters with a button on top as my dad's '62 Oldsmobile Starfire came with.

I even made sure to use a T-handle on the B&M shifter I installed onto my previous TJ.

CIMG2481.JPG

I want this setup on my 42RLE 😍
Surprisingly no you don't. Its shifting qualities absolutely SUCKED, it's next to unusable with a 32RH or 42RLE. The reason being is the B&M shifter exits its shifter cable toward the rear and it has to make a huge and long (!) front to rear loop back to to the 42RLE. The OE shifter exits to the front where it makes a short u-turn back to the transmission.

I could barely get mine to shift gears, it worked but I regretted converting to it. It sure looked cool though.

Surprisingly no you don't. Its shifting qualities absolutely SUCKED, it's next to unusable with a 32RH or 42RLE. The reason being is the B&M shifter exits its shifter cable toward the rear and it has to make a huge and long (!) front to rear loop back to to the 42RLE. The OE shifter exits to the front where it makes a short u-turn back to the transmission.

I could barely get mine to shift gears, it worked but I regretted converting to it. It sure looked cool though.
Damn, that’s a crying shame because I love the way that setup looks. What a bummer!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
X2, that's why automotive factories stopped making automatic shifters with a button on top as my dad's '62 Oldsmobile Starfire came with.

I even made sure to use a T-handle on the B&M shifter I installed onto my previous TJ.

View attachment 280245
Jerry, no offence but every B&M auto shifter I ever owned was horrible.

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Don't they work ok for GM/Ford transmissions where the shifter cable attaches at the rear of the transmission, rear to front?
I've had them in a few muscle cars and one of my race cars. I would never buy another one.
The one you want is a Winters Performance/Art Carr shifter like this one. It's a great shifter.
0e567123_crawler640x480.jpg

I've had them in a few muscle cars and one of my race cars. I would never buy another one.
The one you want is a Winters Performance/Art Carr shifter like this one. It's a great shifter.
View attachment 280263
The Winters is absolutely the best, that's what I'd go for if I was to do it for my present TJ.

Reactions: williambmac