Winch cover or not?

Thumper4fun

TJ Enthusiast
Just installed my new Engo SR10S winch and now I'm trying to decide if I need a cover or not. I prefer the look of the winch uncovered but will it get loaded up with mud when off-roading. So the question is do I need a winch cover or not? Please share your thoughts/opinions.

Reactions: mikespine
Generally speaking, whether advertised as "waterproof" or not most winches are already waterproof. At least fresh water won't hurt them though salt water is another story. Dirt or mud won't hurt them either, within reason, but if you have a synthetic rope, a cover could be beneficial.

First, mud getting into the strands of a synthetic rope could eventually weaken them through abrasion. And while good quality synthetic ropes are treated against UV exposure, using a cover would protect it from UV exposure more if your Jeep sits outside in the sun.

Last edited:
I guess I should have given more info. My TJ is not a daily driver and typically sits quietly in the comfort of my garage.

Reactions: JMT
Even with steel cable it's a good idea to wash them out occasionally. Doubly so with synthetic. Crud in the lay is abrasive, and will ruin a good cable. (Says the guy who doesn't run a winch) I'd wash the running rigging on my sailboat twice a year or so.

I prefer open to the air. Any cover is more likely to trap moisture..... sort of like a Jeep frame. Keep it open and wash it when you wash yer Jeep. But my experience is based on steel cable.

Reactions: Dcook65
You’ve got most of the info you need in @Jerry Bransford post above. Since your TJ is a garage queen, but it sounds like you get in the mud, you might get a cover to keep mud off the rope. It can work its way into the rope and break it down. Climbers, rapelers and the like know all about rope maintenance and care and similar principles apply.

If you live in a wet climate covers have a tendency to trap moisture under them which is worse than getting them dirty.

I’ve been thinking about a cover just to protect the line. The sun and heat here destroy things and I’ve been worried about the line decomposing. I know I have to replace the winch strap on my boat about every 7-8 years.

I’ve been thinking about a cover just to protect the line. The sun and heat here destroy things and I’ve been worried about the line decomposing. I know I have to replace the winch strap on my boat about every 7-8 years.
Sumbrella works great and is easy to work with, the OP lives in a garage so it would be a waste of time.

Reactions: Airjunky
Cover, what does it hurt? It’s garaged, not 200” of rain/year. You’ll be fine. I cover mine

Probably just as dry as an umbrella would keep you dry if you jumped in a pool, I bet it does great for UV, but my steel cable soaks up the rays just fine. I bet your cover looks nice though.

Covered in the winter and off for the rest of the year.