Winch Orientation

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Weird question...looking at my M8000-S instruction sheet and it has the orientation of the winch mounted on the plate so the Control Pack is on the driver side, and the Clutch Lever is on the passenger side.

However 99% of all photos I see of this winch mounted have the orientation the 180 degree opposite, with the Control Pack on the passenger side, and Clutch on the driver. It obviously CAN be flipped either way.

Is there a right or wrong way, is it preference, or whats the deal? If it is supposed to be mounted just like the picture then why is everyone mounting it the other way?

Example Driver Side: https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-5010.htm
Example Passenger Side: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/bumper-winch-and-tires-complete.7936/ (I know this specific bumper appears to want it this way, and probably can't go the other way, but you get the idea of the orientation of the winch).

WARN.jpg

For me the reason I ask this is only coming down to me not being able to mount my Brush Guard in conjunction with the winch...it fits under the BG but interferes with the clutch lever side of the winch. Wondering if I flip the winch 180, will it then be able to fit, since the winch plate is slightly offset on one side. Then I saw this image and started questioning things.

Last edited:
This is mine mounted.

Edit: I don't see why you couldn't go 180* other than all the safety labels will be out of view.

IMG_20180320_210102058-800x600.jpg

This is mine mounted.

Edit: I don't see why you couldn't go 180* other than all the safety labels will be out of view.

View attachment 36433
X2. Mine look identical to this as well.

Yeah but don't you see that you guys have a different orientation according to the Warn instruction sheet? Your 180 degrees from the way its supposed to be. I'm trying to understand if the way you have it set up is the right way or if it is indeed supposed to be arranged the other way? Just curious...or is it an error on Warn's end?

Like I said in my edit, if I put it like the instructions you posted none of the safety labels would be visible.

I just went to Warn's website and all their images show the control box on the passenger side, plus, if you look at their installation instructions they also show it on the passenger side.

Attachments

• 98975_A0_Premium Install Guide.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 329
Reactions: EJD
Like I said in my edit, if I put it like the instructions you posted none of the safety labels would be visible.

Same here. If I had it facing the other way, the safety labels wouldn't be facing forward.

I've owned a few winches in my life, and on every one of them the control box was on the passenger side (though some winches it's in the center).

Don't quote me on this, I personally don't really give a rats about the safety labels myself, Also if you hide the winch behind the stock bumper in say my Ram, you wouldn't see the safety labels at all. but I think the orientation has to do with your bumper. Some bumpers will have a steep front, and you could change the orientation to suit the mount. Maybe your winch isn't going on a truck, but it is going in a trailer instead, but the mount is different. I think technically you can mount it which ever way you want as long as the mount will accommodate it. I think typically they get mounted like we have them mounted (on the left), but I think you could actually mount it in the front and run the cable through the bottom and it will still work as long as the mount could handle the load. I mounted mine like @CodaMan's, but it is really the only way I could on the Warn stubby I have.

IMG-0202.JPG

Ha see I keep my warning labels covered!
Honestly I don't think it matters which way you orientate it. it will still work. What will matter is how you wrap your cable if you orientate it backwards. I think the winch will work either way. Just if you are going to put on the opposite way, you will have to wrap it the opposite way I believe.

Theoretically if you are mount it like the right, that would be like you are mounting it upside down of which I think you could do. as long as your mount can support that.

Last edited:
I just went to Warn's website and all their images show the control box on the passenger side, plus, if you look at their installation instructions they also show it on the passenger side.
See thats interesting there...good find. So there are 2 sets of instructions from Warn instructing the user to orient it different ways...I was only trying to figure out why on mine is it telling me to install it the other way from everyone else. Or is there a right or wrong way...

It very much does matter, most winch braking systems are very specific about what direction they are most effective. There should be some sort of labeling on the drum as to the direction the winch rope/cable should be wound onto the drum, if this is reversed the brake system will not be operating as designed. I only know this because Pierce (the manufacturer of the fire trucks my department buys) installed all 8 of our heavy rescue companies winches backwards. The cable was wound onto the drum in reverse from all indicated markings. I called Warn (the winch we use is an industrial, 16,000 fire and rescue winch) and talked with them about it. They said although the braking will work (at least for a period of time) it will not hold as well as if it were oriented in the correct direction. YMMV

We can all postulate, but I think the only definitive answer will come. from Technical Support at Warn. EJD should telephone them and report back. (800) 543-9276

BTW, every Warn winch I have owned has been installed with the control box on the passenger side. I always thought it better that way because wiring to the battery was simpler. I hadn't considered braking capability.

Reactions: ac_ and EJD
It very much does matter, most winch braking systems are very specific about what direction they are most effective. There should be some sort of labeling on the drum as to the direction the winch rope/cable should be wound onto the drum, if this is reversed the brake system will not be operating as designed. I only know this because Pierce (the manufacturer of the fire trucks my department buys) installed all 8 of our heavy rescue companies winches backwards. The cable was wound onto the drum in reverse from all indicated markings. I called Warn (the winch we use is an industrial, 16,000 fire and rescue winch) and talked with them about it. They said although the braking will work (at least for a period of time) it will not hold as well as if it were oriented in the correct direction. YMMV

That is why I said if you mount it upside down or backwards, it would have to be wound differently.

We can all postulate, but I think the only definitive answer will come. from Technical Support at Warn. EJD should telephone them and report back. (800) 543-9276

BTW, every Warn winch I have owned has been installed with the control box on the passenger side. I always thought it better that way because wiring to the battery was simpler. I hadn't considered braking capability.
Haha funny you said that, I was just on the phone with Warn cause I needed clarification and they specified that, "there is no right or wrong way to mount the winch, so long as the cable is wound accordingly to the orientation you have chose".

So you would not have it fully set up and then switch it 180 degrees without completely unwinding the rope and re-wrapping the rope the other way. They also said most folks have it set up so the control pack is on the passenger side and the clutch lever is on the driver side, but can go either way and there is no difference except for preference and fitment of certain bumpers, accessories, or the relocating of the control pack to a certain area.

They also said the labels are not intended to stay on the winches either they're just there for initial setup as a reminder and not something you need to be referencing often enough to leave on there if you don't want to, you can remove them for a cleaner look.

Last edited:
Then I have learned something, because that is not at all what they told me nor what is in the manual that was supplied with the winches on the heavy rescues. I wonder if the winch model itself makes a difference?

Then I have learned something, because that is not at all what they told me nor what is in the manual that was supplied with the winches on the heavy rescues. I wonder if the winch model itself makes a difference?

I am pretty sure that is with all winches. Winches weren't made specifically to go on trucks. That is probably where mostly they go and originally they probably were, but they can be hung upside-down in trailers, barns, garages. They have been used as engine hoists. They are made to be oriented in different ways for different applications.

I am with you and understand that, what was conveyed to me by Warn was the braking system. Apparently there are different styles, one type (the kind we have I believe) is inside the drum braking, according to what I was told this will work in both directions but is more effective one way then the other..... apparently I may have been misinformed however.........

Reactions: ac_
I am with you and understand that, what was conveyed to me by Warn was the braking system. Apparently there are different styles, one type (the kind we have I believe) is inside the drum braking, according to what I was told this will work in both directions but is more effective one way then the other..... apparently I may have been misinformed however.........
The main thing Warn stressed is that you want to make sure the rope is being spooled under the drum regardless of which way you have it set up. That is essential. Spooling over the drum and it will rip the mounting bolts off and be very dangerous.

Ok, so another update here from Warn today. My initial inquiry has gone far enough up the ladder apparently to people that know what they're talking about and have called me on the phone today to inform me that I have been previously MISinformed by other Warn customer service reps and can NOT install it like my photo above. (With the control pack on the driver side, and clutch lever on the passenger side).

They have informed me of a technical error on their end which happened in the middle of 2017 of which the instruction sheet was imaged wrong by tech people at Warn, they have since corrected the image on a new instruction sheet, and were not supposed to let any (of the ones I have received with my winch) out the of the factory.

The reason it cannot be mounted the other way is while technically is "could" work, it would lead to premature failure of the brake. So just a nice update there, and a waste of time installing it as directed on my end. They have also since my request, issued me a new winch in replacement for any damage I may have caused to the brake on the one I have by installing it backwards (per instructions) and using it that way.

Last edited: