Winch plates, tow hooks, and bumpers

Ejforan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
With my search to find the right combination of everything for my daily. I am looking at the warn rock crawler front bumper which I’m pretty set on other than a dirtworx front. As far as I can tell I will be able to use my towhooks on that bumper which I would prefer over d-rings, though I will have both. The main question is if anyone has any experience with towhooks on the warn winch plates or if there is a better one out there for my needs. If it matters I will be getting the bumper a decent bit before any winch but it still is my end goal before a lift. Any experiences yall would like to share is much appreciated.

No experience with a warn bumper, just want to recommend a full with bumper if it is going to be your DD. Most accidents are offset impacts where a stubby bumper will allow contact point to be your tire. Possibly causing increased damage to you.
There are metal clips that can be added to your tow hooks that prevent the rope from being able to slip off.

No experience with a warn bumper, just want to recommend a full with bumper if it is going to be your DD. Most accidents are offset impacts where a stubby bumper will allow contact point to be your tire. Possibly causing increased damage to you.
Bumper material extending out beyond the frame provides little protection, it wouldn't provide enough protection in even a moderate impact to make a significant difference. Especially the sheet metal factory bumper which is a joke out past the frame rails. I've been running a stubby bumper for many years and it's of no worry to me.

Reactions: derekmac
Bumper material extending out beyond the frame provides little protection, it wouldn't provide enough protection in even a moderate impact to make a significant difference. Especially the sheet metal factory bumper which is a joke out past the frame rails. I've been running a stubby bumper for many years and it's of no worry to me.

A full bumper in regards to having the milk jugs on can make more of a difference in the rear than in the front IMO. In the front they'll probably just snap or bend and hit the tire anyway, but in the rear they can provide some protection to the tub. Mind you still not very much, but better than nothing for a DD I would think.

A full bumper in regards to having the milk jugs on can make more of a difference in the rear than in the front IMO. In the front they'll probably just snap or bend and hit the tire anyway, but in the rear they can provide some protection to the tub. Mind you still not very much, but better than nothing for a DD I would think.
I don't recall ever seeing a stubby bumper for the rear, mine is full-width in the rear. It's the front where a stubby bumper can really help on tougher trails.

I don't recall ever seeing a stubby bumper for the rear, mine is full-width in the rear. It's the front where a stubby bumper can really help on tougher trails.

I suppose, I'm just picturing some of the hacked up trail rigs that we see a lot of around here lol For the rest of the sensible Jeep world it's not usually done lol

My friend has had the Warn bumper since 2005, he likes it a lot but we did cut it down and made it even more stubby. He used to have some tow hooks on it but we added a grill hoop and stinger to it so that kinda gets in the way now. I think when he hook up to his front end we just strap low on his stinger

My friend has had the Warn bumper since 2005, he likes it a lot but we did cut it down and made it even more stubby. He used to have some tow hooks on it but we added a grill hoop and stinger to it so that kinda gets in the way now. I think when he hook up to his front end we just strap low on his stinger
I'd rather have tow hooks than a grill hoop or stinger.

Reactions: chino1969
Everything mounts to the frame,IE the stinger is frame width , the hoop mounts to the top of the frame, then tied back into the custom tube fenders the back to the frame again. Everything is welded not bolted and gusseted reinforced. We are not hacks, we think things through......most of the time lol

Plus he has a winch so, that’s also an option

Reactions: TJ Starting
For bumpers I love the look of the warn compared to most others. For any clarification I am looking at the full width because I will not be going on any crazy trails that the bumper will get caught on really. I am more interested in overland and sight seeing for as long as it is my daily and the full width is more protective to me in the parking lots the jeep is in often.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Never meant to imply a stock bumper. He was talking about a Warn. And I firmly believe a good piece of steel will offer more protection than just a thin fender with some plastic on it. A shopping cart test can confirm this.
They make bumpers that can bolt on extensions to get a stubby to change into a full width bumper. That might be an option.
A daily driver will see way more shopping carts and Honda Civics than two foot rocks in the road.

just want to recommend a full with bumper
I wheel in the forest with the stock bumper, I wish it were full width since a tree, sapling I was driving over slipped past the bumper and took out the turn signal, damaging the fender too.

Stubbys are cool but there are things a full width does better. If you need the clearance for rocks, by all means get the stubby but if a full width is not going to get hung up.... go full width.

As to the question, I too prefer tow hooks. You'd be hard pressed to be critical of Warn products.

Another option that hasn't been mentioned yet are Rock Hard 4x4 bumpers which employ a design/style that has been around since the days of the ancient CJ. They are available in three different widths - 60" "full width", 54" "mid-width" and 46" "narrow width." All are pre-drilled for tow hooks and have double welded shackle tabs which can also be used with various tow bars.

This is my 46" version, photo taken 2-3 days after I purchased my current jeep:

After first day in the dirt.jpg

See: https://www.rockhard4x4.com/Jeep_Wrangler_TJ_Bumpers_s/276.htm

By the way, last year a deer jumped out in front of me when I was driving at some speed with this bumper on the front of my jeep. The point of impact was the bumper outside the frame rails. No damage of any kind was sustained by the bumper. I can't say that for the deer. For this reason, over generalizations like "bumper material extending out beyond the frame provides little protection" have to be taken with a bit of salt. It depends upon the bumper material, the construction of the bumper, the nature of the collision and the objects/forces involved. YMMV.

Last edited:
Recently, on my first outing with the new stubby bumper, I slipped somewhere in these rocks and caught the passenger fender for the first time in 6 years.
20190831_114735.jpg

The old bumper was wider, got in the way a lot, and it protected the fenders.
20190622_121232.jpg

I think if you are in a place where a stubby bumper is a real performance benefit, it will expose other areas that will need to follow suit.

Recently, on my first outing with the new stubby bumper, I slipped somewhere in these rocks and caught the passenger fender for the first time in 6 years.
View attachment 119954

The old bumper was wider, got in the way a lot, and it protected the fenders.
View attachment 119955

I think if you are in a place where a stubby bumper is a real performance benefit, it will expose other areas that will need to follow suit.
I wouldn't classify those pictures as "daily driver" conditions. Having a stubby bumper there would be a real advantage. But for a more mundane driving environment I think full width bumpers are a better. Even the stock bumper provides more protection in a 1/4 on impact.🤔

following this thread. I've been wanting a lighter weight bumper and have been contemplating full width vs stubby and hooks vs tabs. Maybe even going back to a stock bumper minus the milk jugs plus MCE fenders for a Willy's throwback look.