• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

Winch Power Switch

FadeToGray

TJ Enthusiast
Do you guys run a power interrupt switch of some sorts for your winches?

Or is that not really needed?

Mike the Silver TJ

TJ Enthusiast
I'm really not the right one to answer but I do not. Have only used my winch once. My winch cannot be powered without the wireless controller being activated or the same remote hooked up by the backup cord. Some wire up in cab controls that can be used without the remote. I can see the usefulness of that and in that case a switch would be needed in my opinion.

JMT

The Jeep Guy
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Yes. I like having one for safety

ac_

zombicon
Supporting Member
Do you guys run a power interrupt switch of some sorts for your winches?

Or is that not really needed?
I have my winch wired in my dash. I do have a toggle that I have to click on, and two push buttons for in and out. My aux battery is wired straight to the winch with no interruptions.

You can see it here it is the "Plan B" switch and the two buttons next to it are the in and out:

Reactions: theRealCrazy

Alex01

Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I have my winch wired in my dash. I do have a toggle that I have to click on, and two push buttons for in and out. My aux battery is wired straight to the winch with no interruptions.

You can see it here it is the "Plan B" switch and the two buttons next to it are the in and out:

View attachment 92750
I did the same.
@FadeToGray 12voltguy sells great in cab switches.

Reactions: ac_

Boinked

TJ Addict
When i installed my winch i thought about it. Then came to the conclusion that the starter motor does not have a disconnect. It has a full time 12v large cable running to it and has no issues.

Just make sure the power cable for the winch is not ever going to rub on anything that could damage it.

I do inspect my winch power cable every oil change and every time after I inspect the line.

Reactions: ac_