Winch recommendations?

I don't think you would regret it for one minute if you rebuilt your Ramsey. I'm in the process of rebuilding my 80's Warn M8000, and while it's costing as much to rebuild as buying a harbor freight winch, I know this one will last me another 30 years when I'm done with it.

I don't think you would regret it for one minute if you rebuilt your Ramsey. I'm in the process of rebuilding my 80's Warn M8000, and while it's costing as much to rebuild as buying a harbor freight winch, I know this one will last me another 30 years when I'm done with it.

i think its beyond fixing. it literally broke in two pieces the second i unbolted it. i wouldnt trust it if i were to refurbish it, let alone the cost involved in shipping it and have it done. at that point i could buy a new warn winch and not have to worry.

Speaking of Warn winches, I received a CamelCamelCamel.com alert this morning for the Warn VR8-S ( with synthetic rope). $601.98 with Amazon Prime free shipping.

According to the CamelCamelCamel alert the price is within 5% of the lowest price ever on Amazon, which was $598 on 8/1/18.

Speaking of Warn winches, I received a CamelCamelCamel.com alert this morning for the Warn VR8-S ( with synthetic rope). $601.98 with Amazon Prime free shipping.

According to the CamelCamelCamel alert the price is within 5% of the lowest price ever on Amazon, which was $598 on 8/1/18.

thats a deal right there

i think its beyond fixing. it literally broke in two pieces the second i unbolted it. i wouldnt trust it if i were to refurbish it, let alone the cost involved in shipping it and have it done. at that point i could buy a new warn winch and not have to worry.
You're not understanding the process. They don't cobble it back together and no matter how bad it is manufacturers can usually make them as good as new. It's not a refurbishment where it's cleaned and shined, everything is replaced that is not serviceable. A rebuilt Ramsey would be a much better winch than a BRAND-NEW winch from Harbor Freight.

Yes yours broke in two... but they're not going to superglue it back together and ship it out to you. If it's too far gone to make it work like new they'll tell you. It's worth the effort to have a Ramsey rather than a Badlands.

You're not understanding the process. They don't cobble it back together and no matter how bad it is manufacturers can usually make them as good as new. It's not a refurbishment where it's cleaned and shined, everything is replaced that is not serviceable. A rebuilt Ramsey would be a much better winch than a BRAND-NEW winch from Harbor Freight.

Yes yours broke in two... but they're not going to superglue it back together and ship it out to you. If it's too far gone to make it work like new they'll tell you. It's worth the effort to have a Ramsey rather than a Badlands.
Let me email Ramsey this picture and see what they have to say ...

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Update? The market is flooded with Chicom winches. Search eBay with winch 12000. They all look about the same.
That's cause they all come from one of two manufacturers. T-Max is one of them. Can't remember the other one. They just change the control pack and paint it a different color.