Winch rope recommendations

Standard nylon webbing isn't doing a thing to protect a rope from the rocks. We already addressed that.

Most recovery experts including Warn would disagree with that. I debated steel wire vs. synthetic rope with recovery experts for 18 months before throwing in the towel and going to synthetic rope.

You underestimate the protective sleeve and way over estimate the resilience of the rope fibers.

I did two recoveries using a snatch ring without the protective sleeve between the soft shackle and ring and there were number fibers frayed. I did 4 with a new SS, this time using the protective sleeve and there was zero frayed fibers.

I carry a 3x4' outdoor matt, rubber floor mats, and a smaller outdoor mat. Those are mostly used when doing repairs on the trail, but sometimes to protect the winch rope.

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
What are you using for snatch blocks? Are you concerned about turning one into a projectile?

I use snatch rings, even with my 12K Platinum winch. Frequently to get an anchor rig for free but mostly to nearly half the load on the winch.
More interestingly, how often is he finding a need to perform the Spanish Burton?

Never yet, just for fun.
2023-03-18 15.58.58.jpg

Most recovery experts including Warn would disagree with that. I debated steel wire vs. synthetic rope with recovery experts for 18 months before throwing in the towel and going to synthetic rope.

You underestimate the protective sleeve and way over estimate the resilience of the rope fibers.

I did two recoveries using a snatch ring without the protective sleeve between the soft shackle and ring and there were number fibers frayed. I did 4 with a new SS, this time using the protective sleeve and there was zero frayed fibers.

I carry a 3x4' outdoor matt, rubber floor mats, and a smaller outdoor mat. Those are mostly used when doing repairs on the trail, but sometimes to protect the winch rope.

If the sleeve did anything, why bother with the bigger thicker mats to protect the rope?

And you accidently argued against snatch rings. Woops.

If the sleeve did anything, why bother with the bigger thicker mats to protect the rope?

And you accidently argued against snatch rings. Woops.

Same reason I have 33's on my TJR, 38's on my JLR, and 43's on my stretched LJR. If 33's work, why have bigger tires. LOL.

It's not binary, the heavy floor mat is more protective when it's needed.

Same reason I have 33's on my TJR, 38's on my JLR, and 43's on my stretched LJR. If 33's work, why have bigger tires. LOL.

It's not binary, the heavy floor mat is more protective when it's needed.

And I try not to waste my time with things that don't do anything like obtrusive sleeves don't protect anything and rings that can damage the rope.

Meaning you are the posturing fantasizing prepper type. Got it.

No, I actually measure the load on hard pulls. Waiting for a mud bogged truck. So far nearly double the pull doesn't overload any of my 12K winches. How do you measure load on your winch?

No, I actually measure the load on hard pulls. Waiting for a mud bogged truck. So far nearly double the pull doesn't overload any of my 12K winches. How do you measure load on your winch?

Neither did you.

LOL, want to put $10K on it? Ever heard of measuring current? With my Bluetooth current meter I can measure current. Guess you never took physics.

How big is the amp load when you stall your winch?