Winch rope recommendations

My CJ winch had a kydex cover. No need for tape on those items.

UV protected!

I do need to protect my TJ winch and line though the more I think of it. So cal sun is also brutal. It is the smart thing to do. I spent a good deal of time to rebuild it, why let the sun eat it again?

Tell me about it. I'm more than 4000ft closer to the....

31ah-groundhogday-movies-articleLarge.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: rasband
Does it have to make sense to you? Tell me why if so.

My opinion differs from yours (obviously). If this is just a oneway thread where only your opinion matters, say so. I will simply not participate or share my opinion. It is all good bro, no hurt feelings!

One of us is incorrect in our understanding of how things work. You want to live in a free for all where all things are equivalent and nothing matters.

I'm one of "those" Smittybilt winch users. They don't come out anywhere and specifically say what their "synthetic rope" is made of, but they do claim it's UV and abrasion resistant.

1645546532297.png

I used to run a winch cover made of kydex, but it blew off about a year ago on I-25 between Colorado Springs and Pueblo and I never made another one.

Which is precisely why I don't do anodize colors. The only color that does not change when exposed to UV or fade is UV stabile black. Everything else fades or changes color.
Pretty much! Even the black anodized hawse is changing color - but its Chinesium so I'm not particularly surprised. The thimble still looks pretty good - when it doesn't, I'll probably spray some paint in its general direction.

Hell, the gold alodyne on the bolts for the pintle hook on the back bumper has completely gone off over the last year - I've never seen *that* before. As I was painting everything else black the other day, the bolts got painted too. *shrug*

Reactions: Gollywomper
I dont think 4000 feet is very relevant in the grand scheme of things. Since the sun is approx 419,040,000,000
Feet from earth. 😜
It's enough to be significantly harder on skin.

Research indicates that for every 1,000 feet of elevation gain, the sun’s UV rays intensify by 8-10 percent because of the thinning atmosphere.

Pretty much! Even the black anodized hawse is changing color - but its Chinesium so I'm not particularly surprised. The thimble still looks pretty good - when it doesn't, I'll probably spray some paint in its general direction.

Hell, the gold alodyne on the bolts for the pintle hook on the back bumper has completely gone off over the last year - I've never seen *that* before. As I was painting everything else black the other day, the bolts got painted too. *shrug*
The sun is very brutal. Regardless of items being UV protected or not. This is why I didn’t get a colored safety thimble. Scratches and fade should be irrelevant in its appearance.
It's enough to be significantly harder on skin.
yes but the southern states still generally have a higher UV index due to location. Regardless the sun is a brutal force.

1645548633987.jpeg

One of us is incorrect in our understanding of how things work. You want to live in a free for all where all things are equivalent and nothing matters.
No, not even close. I want to live in a world where only you are correct.

• Face Palm
Reactions: jjvw
I dont think 4000 feet is very relevant in the grand scheme of things. Since the sun is approx 419,040,000,000
Feet from earth. 😜
Actually, that's not the relevant point. What makes the biggest difference is how much atmosphere is above you filtering the sun - and 5000 ft is a decent chunk of the Earth's. That's why you can get crazy sunburn at altitude in the Rockies. Now, it is somewhat offset by Colorado being a bit farther north than SoCal - but not by much.

Actually, that's not the relevant point. What makes the biggest difference is how much atmosphere is above you filtering the sun - and 5000 ft is a decent chunk of the Earth's. That's why you can get crazy sunburn at altitude in the Rockies. Now, it is somewhat offset by Colorado being a bit farther north than SoCal - but not by much.
Oh I understand that. I spend enough time every year in the summer/fall in the mountains agree with that. It was more of a joke about 4000’ vs billions.
I posted the UV index showing that much of Colorado has a much higher than expected UV.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
https://www.bigfootwinchropes.com/product-page/3-8-hd-dyneema-synthetic-winch-rope
I use this guy. He is local and wheels a TJ , how could I say no. :cool:

Looks like double braid. While it seems like having the outer braid would provide abrasion protection, oil rigs have had more failures attributed to double braid and industry has switched back to single. It's much much easier to inspect single braid. Cheaper too.

As for UV, dyneema absolutely degrades, UV treated or not. The real question is if it matters. 20k line on an 8k winch can afford a bit of UV degradation.

1645558016627.png

The sun is very brutal. Regardless of items being UV protected or not. This is why I didn’t get a colored safety thimble. Scratches and fade should be irrelevant in its appearance.

yes but the southern states still generally have a higher UV index due to location. Regardless the sun is a brutal force.

View attachment 311348
Damn, Florida for the win! Well, New Mexico also.

• Haha
Reactions: WSS
Not my fault that you don't understand how something works again.
No it is not your fault. Never heard that from me. In fact you da man. Everyone here already knows this. Why single me out for my opinion?

• Face Palm
As for UV, dyneema absolutely degrades, UV treated or not. The real question is if it matters. 20k line on an 8k winch can afford a bit of UV degradation.
No way! Jjvw says this ain’t so.

I’m going with the guru. No uv protection for my high dollar ropes.

🤔

• Face Palm

View attachment 311348
I’m in that little purple (10-11) band down in so cal. We pay extra taxes for those numbers!!

No way! Jjvw says this ain’t so.

I’m going with the guru. No uv protection for my high dollar ropes.

🤔
If you read what it says, the outer layer suffers but since it also acts as a shield to protect the inner layers, it isn't as bad as it could be. Or put another way, there's a reason our muscles don't get sunburnt.

That and you can't and don't use your winch anywhere near its rated capacity, so the UV thing is a bit overblown.

Doesn't matter where it is anodized, if it isn't UV stabile black, it will not hold up.
Hell, the gold alodyne on the bolts for the pintle hook
Why are you using aluminum bolts?

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba
If you read what it says, the outer layer suffers but since it also acts as a shield to protect the inner layers, it isn't as bad as it could be. Or put another way, there's a reason our muscles don't get sunburnt.

That and you can't and don't use your winch anywhere near its rated capacity, so the UV thing is a bit overblown.
I’m messing with him. He knows it.