Winch

The Smitybilt is a low end winch. What are your plans/needs for a winch? That would help in selection. I will say that if you plan on doing a lot of wheeling it would be best to go with something like Warn.

Reactions: StG58
I had an XRC8 for a number of years. it broke twice (handle pin) and stopped power spooling out but always got the job done. It would not work for the new owner and dunno why.

I also abused a milemarker to its death twice and had a superwinch for a while.

I would not be buying another xrc8 due to how cheaply it is built.

Save your money for a quality winch and the brand has already been mention.

I had an XRC8 for a number of years. it broke twice (handle pin) and stopped power spooling out but always got the job done. It would not work for the new owner and dunno why.

I also abused a milemarker to its death twice and had a superwinch for a while.

I would not be buying another xrc8 due to how cheaply it is built.

Save your money for a quality winch and the brand has already been mention.
The only question remaining for @surferdude is: Is this winch Jeep Costume Jewelry or a working tool? The answer to that question should guide his selection.

Smittybilt is the very last winch brand I would install, it wouldn't even make my short list of ten or twenty potential winches to install. Smittybilt can't even reliably provide replacement parts for their line of Chinese winches.

If you can possibly afford it, you can't go wrong with a Warn. If it's just a little out of your price range, it'd be worth saving a little longer for. Warn's M8000 is a good solid lower-cost Warn winch that is manufactured in Oregon, it's very hard to beat. I'd also avoid anything from Harbor Freight Tools like their Badland winch line. More Chinese junk. I can't say all Chinese products are junk but my personal opinion is that HFT's and Smittybilt's Chinese winches are. Unless their main purpose is bumper decoration, then I guess they'd be ok. ;)

Reactions: LTTJ
I hate anything made by Shittybilt, I truly do. However, I realize that most people are only after the cheapest price, so I just accept that for what it is.

If I was going to go with something other than Warn, I'd probably go with the Engo SR9S: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZG2ZS5/?tag=wranglerorg-20

However, for that price you could almost get a Warn M8000!

I always liked Engo, especially after they remodeled all their winch housings this past year. When the 4wp store opened here in MN a couple weeks ago, I went to the grand opening event and they REALLY tried to sell me a smittybilt winch. If they have to push THAT hard to sell their winch, it should tell you something.

Reactions: Kyle_W
I hate anything made by Shittybilt, I truly do. However, I realize that most people are only after the cheapest price, so I just accept that for what it is.

If I was going to go with something other than Warn, I'd probably go with the Engo SR9S: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZG2ZS5/?tag=wranglerorg-20

However, for that price you could almost get a Warn M8000!

That M8000 has a good price!
Use the cable until has more funds for the Synthetic... That way will have a nice decorated bumper!

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
I always liked Engo, especially after they remodeled all their winch housings this past year. When the 4wp store opened here in MN a couple weeks ago, I went to the grand opening event and they REALLY tried to sell me a smittybilt winch. If they have to push THAT hard to sell their winch, it should tell you something.

4WD fellas push hard on anything is for sale on that store, $100,000 monthly sale quota no ask for less.

When my buddy's Smittybilt winch failed to spool out when he got hung up going down Big Sluice, it was at that point I was thankful I chose a Warn M8000 on my jeep. Just my 2 cents. I used my winch twice on that trip. Worked like a champ.

Don't fear Craigslist. I bought an xd900I for 450$ last saturday. Hardly used by the look of it. Only bummer is the positive lead is faded, not nice and red any more.

Full disclosure, it did not have a remote so there is a chance I might have been screwed(I really doubt it, the small pawn shop said they tested it). Ill find out when the remote I just ordered gets here. If its shot I'll call warn, get the parts and fix it. I'm 600$ ahead so there is lots of room.

Reactions: JP98
On this topic, what kind of care/maintenance do you guys use on synthetic rope? My thinking was to keep it covered to protect it from UV light as well as dirt that can get in the rope and gradually weaken it by rubbing the threads. I know that happens to rope climbers, so I assume it would be true for these ropes too...I've heard of guys spooling out there rope and cleaning them after wheelin trips. Not sure if that is something I would want to do???

On this topic, what kind of care/maintenance do you guys use on synthetic rope? My thinking was to keep it covered to protect it from UV light as well as dirt that can get in the rope and gradually weaken it by rubbing the threads. I know that happens to rope climbers, so I assume it would be true for these ropes too...I've heard of guys spooling out there rope and cleaning them after wheelin trips. Not sure if that is something I would want to do???
I pull mine out every few months to inspect and clean unless I got it really muddy or know that I picked up debris. Then I unspool and clean when I get home. You want to unspool and inspect your line whether it's cable or synthetic from time to time. It's a safety thing. It's like having an everyday carry gun. Whether you have fired it or not you take it out, clean and inspect because you want it to work right when you need it.

Reactions: JMT and Reece
I have a Smittybilt X20 w/syn line. I've only used it twice. first time was to pull a full size f150 that was buried in mud by the lake, not muddy water, red clay thick mud. Only angle I could get was about 45 degrees. I winched him out sideways like that and was amazed at the power it had. I know it wasn't smart to use it like that on that angle but it was the only option at the time. After I finished bragging on the X20 I took a closer look at it and it had twisted and broken the housing in half. The motor was stronger than the housing. I called Smittybilt and after a little coaxing and a few pictures they sent me a new one and told me to keep the old. Now I have a new one and spare parts. I thought they handled it pretty well considering the bad rap their customer service has. I've used it on one trip since to pull some jeeps up a slick hill. Eazy pezy.

If I had it to do over I would definitely buy a Warn instead but having a new winch with another for spare parts it just doesn't make sense to trade up right now. At some point I'll get a warn.

I do rinse my synthetic lines off semi-regularly, that's really all I do. I'm not all that concerned with UV, they are treated for UV exposure. Not to mention most of the world's navies and maritime fleets converted to synthetic dock lines (also treated against UV exposure) years ago and they pretty much lay in the sun 365 days a year.

Reactions: JMT and StG58
I do rinse my Synthetic line after all my offroad trips. If happen to be used unspool the used amount and rinse in a bucket. As @Jerry Bransford mention UV is not a concern as synthetic is treated for it. Have to mention that does exactly the same when use to have a cable winch.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT