Winching out backwards

You don't. You either have the vehicle behind you pull you out, or the one in front of you pull you forward past the obstacle. I'm sure someone can dream up some other method but...

I'm going to dream something up... But for now, I'm not sure I see a way.

I'm going to dream something up... But for now, I'm not sure I see a way.
There are several ways to do it. Easiest and most obvious is to have the winch line go under the front bumper, under the axles, and then to the anchor point. Wouldn't be ideal but as a "only option or stay here and die" solution, it will work.

If you carry enough rigging, you can do it with several snatch blocks if the anchor isn't too far away. The folks down under and in Europe excel at it due to many of the off road competitions placing as much emphasis on winching as they do rig capability. Also the reason the 24volt dual motor conversions for the 8274 originated over there from folks like Gigglepin.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Interesting, indeed. Ocasionally, but luckily rarely, it would be handy to be able to winch out backwards. I have been reckless in the past.

Ok, I've got a really dumb question. How do you use a winch mounted on the front of your Jeep to winch yourself out backwards?
You can go to youtube and watch the guy hook up and winch out backwards he uses about 3 snatch blocks but in a pinch it works, pretty cool.

Reactions: Chris
x2 on this, I have seen the video and others. Kind of a Rube Goldberg (gotta be over 60 to get this) setup but it works. Never say never, there is always a way with enough imagination (and snatch blocks).

Reactions: StG58
And there you go! Went out and watched some youtube videos on the subject. Yes, it seems possible. I've seen less rigging on a sailboat though. Thanks for the input folks. Appreciate it a lot! This is one of the reasons I really like this place. Good answers to even the most random questions.

Reactions: Chris
Had a jeep I didn't care about at all. I was stuck in a pond and the only tree was behind me. It was dark and cold. I said he'll with it and ran the cable around the Jeep and to the tree. Cut the flare, but I got out.

x2 on this, I have seen the video and others. Kind of a Rube Goldberg (gotta be over 60 to get this) setup but it works. Never say never, there is always a way with enough imagination (and snatch blocks).
I agree there is always a way I wouldn't care so much but my wife and I usually wheel alone and I think she would balk at walking out for help while I waited at the jeep.:rolleyes: