Window leak and some possible frame repair...

etc1006

TJ Enthusiast
Hey all, so Wednesday night we had a little rain. As I was pulling out of the driveway I hear a "splash" and look in mirror, water was spilling out of the rear wiper cover inside... Got home yesterday after work and opened up, looked around and saw slight amount of crud on glass and seal (everything looks great). Got a wet rag and cleaned well around the whole window and seal. So again it rained overnight, and yup, you guessed it, "splash" this morning. No evidence of water before it spilled out of the cover. Holes in window mounts looks fine, had no trace of water/dirt trails from leakage. We had over 5" of rain last weekend and it didn't leak a drop... Which was why I figured said monsoon drove come crud somewhere causing the leak.

Next up... Dad had plans on taking belly pan down and cleaning/treating with POR15. However he didn't get a chance. Can of POR15 is still on the step to the basement. I've been looking around on Lucy, I think he did flush the frame maybe the fall ('16) before he passed. He put a new hitch on that is also the bumper mount. I found slugs from the holesaw laying in back with the original hardware from the bumper/old hitch. However I've been looking at the belly pan mount area and its quite crusty. I found the frame caps online. Has anyone done these? Seems like a pretty good solution. I think on the forums FB page someone damn near did the whole frame... I have a flux/mig here. Lincoln weldpac 100 (or110), have the mig conversion, just never put it on flux core was fine for me at the time. I've done quite a few floorpan cracks in Fox body Mustangs and of course the seat frames to fix the "Gansta lean". Will that be sufficient to do the frame repair??

I'm up in the air with the whole frame cap thing. Maybe they work, maybe they don't. If any water finds another way to get in, it wouldn't have any way to get out with the frame caps in there, right?

I'm no welder, so I can't comment on the frame repair. All I know is that if you want to do it right, you've got to remove all the rust that is currently there, so there's no rust left over.

Reactions: etc1006 and 94c2500
The caps are not really caps...you cut out the old, and weld in the new. They should be as strong as the original, as long as they are welded in properly. If you have to ask how to weld them in properly, you're not good enough to do it, so let a professional help you.

Reactions: etc1006
My welding days for money are long behind me, LOL. Mainly just minor repair and whatnot with the mig I have. I was more in stick/tig welding in the pipe trades. I've checked out the tutuorials on the "caps" I understand having to cut areas out. Even saw a few where they used the opportunity to treat inside the frame.

Reactions: Mike_H