Windshield Frame Replacement

Alski

Looking ahead- and getting the best advice for TJs - I’m eventually going to have to replace my windshield frame, so just curious everyone’s experience with this. Although mine is still in decent shape, I’m torn on buying new or used (if used, what years been known to fit my 05 - or are all years the same) and if new, I know to avoid Crown Automotive garbage. Any reputable new ones out there? Appreciate it.

Reactions: matkal
If it's still in decent shape I'd try some preventative maintenance... I just folded down my 05's windshield for the first time a few weeks ago after the windshield cracked. There was no visible rust until I folded it down, and it was beyond repair.

I bought an early style frame off ebay and am in the process of swapping it out, along with a hundred other things.

The earlier style (pre 03 or 04?) don't have interior trim, so they use different visors and mounting points. There's a bit of drilling required to fit stuff back up. I'm just going to keep the side trim and lose the top trim and grab a pair of older style visors. The earlier windshield frames appear to hold up better.

I was in your same position. My windshield frame looked good on the outside. I had a glass company come out to replace my windshield and they showed me the rot on the inside of the frame. I tried two aftermarket frames, and the bolt holes did not line up. I luckily found a mint frame from a 1999 wrangler complete with visors and the interior trim for $300.00. I'm just waiting on the body shop to paint it.
From what I have read, the pre-2003 windshield frame tend to last longer. I found mine on fb marketplace.

Almost any OEM part is hard to find - if existent- these days on TJs.

Bummer..I had a nice one with bad glass I damn near gave away after trying actively to sell it for months..here in the pnw if the glass is bad people won't buy them. Given the info I would just buy a reproduction and I don't think one brand is going to be better. You may be surprised to learn they all come from the same place with different names attached. This is very common in the world of aftermarket sheet metal.

Reactions: TJ4Jim
Looking ahead- and getting the best advice for TJs - I’m eventually going to have to replace my windshield frame, so just curious everyone’s experience with this. Although mine is still in decent shape, I’m torn on buying new or used (if used, what years been known to fit my 05 - or are all years the same) and if new, I know to avoid Crown Automotive garbage. Any reputable new ones out there? Appreciate it.

You should be able to (try to) find a good used one hopefully in your color. There is a difference between early and late model W/Ss but not too big of a deal. The older ones dont have the A pillar or header trim pieces. You can easily live without or cut the slots to make it work with your trim pieces.