Windshield hinge removal and powder coat questions

hand impact drivers suck compared to the screw knocker...I have used both, the screw knocker will just rattle and with a little pressure, the screws will just start to spin out, no hammer involved...
I 100% agree with you.👍 Absolutely no argument from me. That is why I stated clearly that for people with no air compressor there is another option. If they have no air then I think you will agree the impact screwdriver would be more effective than just waiting for a strong gust of wind while holding your Tommy knocker.🤔😉😉

They are hard to remove. I replaced mine with kentrol hinges.

How long have you had your Kentrol hinges? I'm pretty disappointed with my hood hinges; they're chipping all over the place.

Harbor freight air Chile’s, or northern tool, eBay and look for a 3x or 4 x river fun, the higher the number, the harder it hits and the slower it hits. Air chisels hit the fastest and lightest.

Would this one be appropriate?

Thanks for your help, by the way. Aside from nail guns, I have almost zero experience with air tools. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. I've got a Craftsman air compressor at home. I don't know the model number off the top of my head.

Sheesh, that would've been an incredibly aggravating, more expensive waste of time.

Much appreciated, sir!

Any tips when using this device?
Not a problem. @astjp2 might be able to recommend a better one (I'm not really sure what stores offer what in the US).

Use good bits, and let the tool do its job. Apply firm pressure to the handle to loosen the bolts, but don't put all your weight into it. You want the vibrations/impacts loosen it, not you trying to force turn them out. Even using one of those tools, you do still stand a chance of it stripping out on you. Much less of a chance though.

Reactions: Jeffreybomb
I believe a pneumatic needle scaler also uses the same drive system and that can be used for (obviously) scale and rust on metal surfaces.

Reactions: derekmac
I just ordered both the screw knocker and the air impact hammer. I'm really hoping they work. I've had windshield mounts for long range KC Hilites lamps just sitting around, waiting.

How long have you had your Kentrol hinges? I'm pretty disappointed with my hood hinges; they're chipping all over the place.

Would this one be appropriate?

Thanks for your help, by the way. Aside from nail guns, I have almost zero experience with air tools. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. I've got a Craftsman air compressor at home. I don't know the model number off the top of my head.
All you need is 90psi at the tool, so if you have a hose that is not too long, 110 psi at the compressor should be good

Reactions: Jeffreybomb
So the air-powered impact hammer didn’t really help, but I did start knocking screws out with the help of a Craftsman battery-powered impact wrench.

To my amazement, three of the six screws popped out. When I moved on to the fourth, though...

824DB6A1-F890-425D-903A-173F0992BFB1.jpeg

And yes, the bit was impact rated. I was pretty displeased.

Edited to change impact hammer to impact wrench. Whoops.

Last edited:
So the air-powered impact hammer didn’t really help, but I did start knocking screws out with the help of a Craftsman battery-powered impact hammer.

To my amazement, three of the six screws popped out. When I moved on to the fourth, though...

View attachment 114734

And yes, the bit was impact rated. I was pretty displeased.
Who made the bit? I usually get them by the dozen...

Who made the bit? I usually get them by the dozen...

Masterforce. Maybe I should consider a handful of T40s.

Got a nice set of bits off Amazon and have to say, was really impressed with how well this tool got all the screws out. Not a single broken one so far with it.

Got a link? I'm going to be returning this set to get my $25 back. There's no reason this shit should be snapping off four screws in.

Masterforce. Maybe I should consider a handful of T40s.

Got a link? I'm going to be returning this set to get my $25 back. There's no reason this shit should be snapping off four screws in.
Picked up a couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078Z3BLHL/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Expected to break a few but it still looks like new after removing every hinge bolt on my TJ. Make sure you’re only turning very gently and you’re not letting the bit hop out. I took a small tack hammer and gently made sure the bit was completely seated in the head prior to starting. All the paint and debris in it made some heads need a bit of cleaning to get good contact.

Yeah, screw taking them off. I'm about to have a chip fixed and the rubber trim replaced on mine so the weekend before I'm pulling off the rubber trim around the window (it's only for looks as told to me by the Safelite guy on our Jeeps), sand the hinges down, mask and paint with black wrinkle finish paint and call it a day. You'll never know the difference.

Reactions: Don Ashcraft