Windshields have changed pretty much for the worse

JEEPCJTJ

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Half way between Pittsburgh and Cleveland
I almost posted this in psrivats 's post "Windshield angles in CJ5 CJ7 vs YJ TJ vs JK JL" but I'm posting it here because it's about almost every vehicle out there and I don't want to change the subject over there.

The whole purpose of any of today's windshields is to save .0001 gallons of gas while driving any vehicle anywhere. OK, I'll admit that I just made that number up but regardless of the exact number, I'm not wrong. I hate every aspect of it in every vehicle. I'm 6' 1" and there are so may vehicles where the top of the windshield is so low I have to duck down to see some traffic lights. It's not limited to Chryslers but here are several of them. My wife had a PT Cruiser that I could wear a 10 gallon hat in with no problems but sometimes I had to crouch down just to see more than 50 feet ahead of me while going up a slight upgrade. The Dodge Dakota had such a low roof and windshield it kept me looking at the full size RAMs. I was somewhat surprised that even though my Rumble Bee roof and windshield looked like a large version of the Dakota. Luckily, they are fairly high and I have plenty of room to see out and wear a hat. But even with that, I just realized that the engine in under the windshield which makes much of it hard to get to if/when needed.

Also, most windshields are now stretched more than 3 feet from the hood to the roof and hover over a similar sized dashboard, not only allowing the sun to easily shine on that dashboard but then reflect that bright sunshine from the dashboard to the driver, which doesn't help someone see through it. I don't remember ever seeing that reflection before the late 1990s.

Ha, at only 5’9, I’ve also run into the same issue. I hate how tilted back modern windshields are.

Reactions: psrivats
What a bizarre thing to get bent out of shape over...

I'm 6"1' and don't have any problems.

I absolutely agree with the OP. In fact, it stopped me from buying a Dodge Cummins pickup any newer than 1993. I hate the size and angle of the windshields, and everything @JEEPCJTJ said is spot-on. One thing that I also despise is the thickness of the A-pillars on newer vehicles. You can lose sight of an entire compact car in the blind spot created by some of these monstrosities. Yes, I know they play a bigger part in rollover safety than in days of old, but sheesh... :rolleyes:
Btw, I'm only 5'8", but long in torso. The angle that the modern windshields are at always make me feel like I'm gonna lose my scalp in an accident.

Now this...this is a windshield I can live with! ;)

johnmilner.jpg

I absolutely agree with the OP. In fact, it stopped me from buying a Dodge Cummins pickup any newer than 1993. I hate the size and angle of the windshields, and everything @JEEPCJTJ said is spot-on. One thing that I also despise is the thickness of the A-pillars on newer vehicles. You can lose sight of an entire compact car in the blind spot created by some of these monstrosities. Yes, I know they play a bigger part in rollover safety than in days of old, but sheesh... :rolleyes:
Btw, I'm only 5'8", but long in torso. The angle that the modern windshields are at always make me feel like I'm gonna lose my scalp in an accident.

View attachment 89304
Hmmm, that looks like a scene from American Graffiti. I believe a '32 Ford.

Reactions: K0LCB and Squatch

View attachment 89304

The A pillars on my wifes Honda Odyssey van are so fat and angled I've actually almost run over a couple of people at stop lights/signs. They can block out a car even at a stop sign to my right. Hideous viewing angles to the left and right. Plus I'm 6'3". So ya. I'm constantly straining my neck to see a stop light. But that's even true in my Jeep. Hopefully my set of late model seats, which are 1.5 inches shorter, will correct that.

Reactions: Squatch
. . . The whole purpose of any of today's windshields is to save .0001 gallons of gas while driving any vehicle anywhere. . . . I hate every aspect of it in every vehicle. I'm 6' 1" and there are so may vehicles where the top of the windshield is so low I have to duck down to see some traffic lights. . . .

You would really hate this car.

ind%2039R%20harber.jpg

. . . The whole purpose of any of today's windshields is to save .0001 gallons of gas while driving any vehicle anywhere. OK, I'll admit that I just made that number up but regardless of the exact number, I'm not wrong. I hate every aspect of it in every vehicle. I'm 6' 1" and there are so may vehicles where the top of the windshield is so low I have to duck down to see some traffic lights. . . .

You would really hate this car.

ind%2039R%20harber.jpg

Another big issue with the huge angle slant modern windscreens, is that they catch snow. I've noticed (in the past on my former TJ's) that snow does not quite stick to the windows in the TJ's. More vertical they are, less snow but more bugs.

What a bizarre thing to get bent out of shape over...

I'm 6"1' and don't have any problems.
You may have a different body shape than the OP. I'm 6' 2" and have long legs, so when I'm on a barstool next to a short person I could be perceived to be as short as them, until I unfold on the way up. I used to do a lot of work on the auto racing industry, mostly fuel systems but spent a few years with NASCAR drivers doing seats. I learned a whole lot about driver sizes and human body proportions. The auto makers should pay more attention to these things. Us long legged folk get jacked over when our upper legs aren't supported!

And a hearty AMEN to whomever mentioned the A-pillar widths on these new raked windshield rides. HOLY Shiite, I go from my TJ with no obstruction to the wife's Xterra where I can lose a school bus in the A-pillar and it gets dangerous. Maybe that is just me though... :)