Winter adventure in WI, MN, and Canada on the ice road from Angle Inlet to Kenora

toximus

I live in my Jeep
Supporting Member
map for forum.jpg

This was a trip for the books!

—-

I started making videos to bring you guys along on my adventures. Most of the content in the video is different from this post, so feel free to enjoy both!

—-

Recently my job has become very uninspiring. I've worked there for over 15 years and 13 of those years were highly rewarding and I enjoyed the challenges, however 2 weeks ago I was at the end of another dumb meeting where my new CEO just couldn't understand an issue and wouldn't trust me on it, so I quit on the spot. Because I don't need that in my life.

I've been wanting to go on a trip to Angle Inlet, a small enclave of the USA, in Minnesota. So I took the passenger seat out of the khaki TJ to make room to sleep in and went on a weekend trip to go check it out and made a few fun stops along the way!

My bed:

20230216_174832.jpg

My first stop was at a Artesian Well in Ashland Wisconsin to fill up my water bottle.

1677560587665.png

1677560708966.png

Wisconsin Point Lighthouse sits way out on a peninsula in Lake Superior.

2023-02-27_23-09-31.jpg

The first night I slept out on the ice on a frozen lake in Voyageurs National Park.

1677561667102.png

The park kindly had a fresh pile of wood for fires out at their island campsite.

2023-02-27_23-12-48.jpg

The next morning, making my way up toward Canada, I found myself in the small town of Ranier MN. A train was departing the station and my Jeep wanted a quick selfie with it before heading on.

1677561995361.png

I then crossed the border into Manitoba Canada north of Warroad and crossed the border back into the USA at the North West Angle into Minnesota. The border between the US and Canada is cleared of trees down the entire length from coast to coast.

1677562275308.png

Once I got into town I used the self service customs booth to enter into America!

The telephone on the outside of the booth is for entering into Canada.

1677562517768.png

I stopped by the general store and went across the street to mail a post card at the post office.

1677562787317.png

1677562737957.png

I drove on the Northern most road in the contiguous US and found the Northernmost Point.

1677562990770.png

Talking inside the local bar I discovered that there's an ice road that goes to Kenora ON. So, seeking adventure, I decided to go!

1677563301331.png

1677563471971.png

The ice road went on for 45 miles (after correcting for my many wrong turns)! It even went through gravel roads that crossed islands.

1677563624417.png

Finally around sunset I made it to Kenora!

1677563714393.png

From Kenora, I decided to take the road back to the US through International Falls. Shortly after departing I ended up in a blizzard. I thought I was going to have to spend the night in Canada.

1677563830953.png

Thankfully the snow cleared up. And then I came across a couple of farmers by themselves out in a field enjoying shooting off a bunch of huge fireworks. I pulled over and watched for about 30 minutes. Every 5 minutes they'd shoot off a "grand finale" but it was clear that they had no intentions of stopping anytime soon. But I had to get going.

1677564283582.png

Coming through Ashland again, I came across an ice race happening on Lake Superior next to the artesian well.

1677564544214.png

(The "69er" car was having a hard time keeping it on all fours! DCSD?)
1677564651807.png

1677564474731.png

This trip was a great reminder of the unexpected adventure and fun that is out there waiting to be discovered!

Last edited:
Great video. Looks like a fun trip.

I'm struggling with seeing someone eat Chinese without chopsticks. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: RINC
Great photos and looks like a fun trip, I need to watch the video later today!

I need to do a solo trip. The more I go on "vacation" to visit my in-laws, the more I think I need to get out into the woods for a night and just be by myself...maybe bring a dog. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

Does the dog get a vote?

😉

Cool trip in my old stomping grounds! I lived in Roseau for three years when I worked for Polaris, and spent many cold winter days testing snowmobiles on Lake of the Woods and the Angle - fond memories, for sure! The interesting thing about the Northwest Angle is that it may be the only place in the U.S.A. where you have to go into Canada to get there by land vehicle (boats and snowmobiles can stay in the U.S.A. by traveling across the lake). We had employees at Polaris who drive the 50 or 60 miles one way, much of it on gravel, to get to work, having to go through the port of entry twice daily!

Reactions: Apparition
Cool trip in my old stomping grounds! I lived in Roseau for three years when I worked for Polaris, and spent many cold winter days testing snowmobiles on Lake of the Woods and the Angle - fond memories, for sure! The interesting thing about the Northwest Angle is that it may be the only place in the U.S.A. where you have to go into Canada to get there by land vehicle (boats and snowmobiles can stay in the U.S.A. by traveling across the lake). We had employees at Polaris who drive the 50 or 60 miles one way, much of it on gravel, to get to work, having to go through the port of entry twice daily!

Now that sounds like a dream job to me.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Now that sounds like a dream job to me.

I've had several dream jobs over the years, but even dream jobs become just jobs in the end. My current gig is not a dream job, but I have a lot more free time, I don't have to travel, and it doesn't beat the snot out of my body. As a result, I've been here three times longer than any other job... ;)

What device are you using for navigation? I enjoyed the video, going to have to visit the artesian well on a weekend road trip.

I need to do a solo trip. The more I go on "vacation" to visit my in-laws, the more I think I need to get out into the woods for a night and just be by myself...maybe bring a dog. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

That's what I'm talking about man! Do it!

Reactions: Mike_H

Port Roberts, WA is another place that you have to drive thru Canada to get to from the US. There is another spot somewhere in upstate NY.

What device are you using for navigation? I enjoyed the video, going to have to visit the artesian well on a weekend road trip.

• In the US where I have phone reception, I use Google Maps paired with an Alpine iLX-W650 touch screen radio.
  • In Canada, I used a standalone Garmin GPS.

If you can time it right, I found out that they do the ice race every Sunday ("ice willing" they said.).

Reactions: SubLime
  • In the US where I have phone reception, I use Google Maps paired with an Alpine iLX-W650 touch screen radio.
  • In Canada, I used a standalone Garmin GPS.

If you can time it right, I found out that they do the ice race every Sunday ("ice willing" they said.).

what Garmin are you using? I'm looking to update mine.

what Garmin are you using? I'm looking to update mine.

Garmin 1090 (replaced by 1095). I have about 10,000 miles on it. It's an RV GPS which I got for hauling our 38ft long, 11ft tall trailer. Because you REALLY don't want Google Maps to drop connection and you randomly try to find your way and end up where you can't turn around. With the trailer, aside from avoiding low overpasses, I've turned off all of the RV related warnings (like sharp turns).

It does have a normal "car mode" and lots of nice camping features like iOverlander data. The screen is a massive 10" but actually feels very usable now that I've gotten used to it — although it is more appropriately sized for the truck. So I'd recommend it, but it is also probably "too much" GPS in multiple ways for a Jeep.

Last edited:
Reactions: SubLime