Winter adventure in WI, MN, and Canada on the ice road from Angle Inlet to Kenora

I was just going to ask if you were retired until I read the first paragraph. You take some really cool trips, can't wait to read what you do when the trailer is ready.

I was just going to ask if you were retired until I read the first paragraph. You take some really cool trips, can't wait to read what you do when the trailer is ready.

Yup! Far from being retired. I still need to figure out how I'm going to make money. I have received multiple job offers already that are very serious and good opportunities, but I don't think I'm ready to work for somebody else again quite yet. Those offers will still be around later. In the meantime, Mrs Tox and I are going to live like college students and make videos and see where this goes.

Don't worry! The Jeeps or trailer aren't going up for sale any time soon!

Reactions: cliffish
I'm heading out this next week to help my dad scope out a new driveway in Virginia and hoping to find some adventure. Taking the truck this time though... would you guys still be interested if I post up a video? I don't want to dilute the good vibes we have going on. 🤣🎉

Reactions: Apparition
I'm heading out this next week to help my dad scope out a new driveway in Virginia and hoping to find some adventure. Taking the truck this time though... would you guys still be interested if I post up a video? I don't want to dilute the good vibes we have going on. 🤣🎉

Post away

Your opinion doesn't count. 🤣

1677725305282.gif

• Sad
Reactions: toximus

What is scoping out a driveway?

How tall are you again?

Awesome trip though. Love the ad-hoc stuff you did, that really makes a vacation. What was driving on the ice road like? Was it slippery the entire time?

How tall are you again?

6ft. The 2nd night there was enough room behind my head for the case of water bottles. So I could have probably been 7ft tall.

Awesome trip though. Love the ad-hoc stuff you did, that really makes a vacation. What was driving on the ice road like? Was it slippery the entire time?

If you've ever driven on an ice covered road it was exactly like that except no hills. If you've never driven on an ice covered road, because the temperature was above freezing, the surface became smooth with a slight amount of water on top in some areas — this makes for a very slippery condition. Near the edges there was some snow which provides traction, but there was also slush over there. There was also some ridges where the ice had cracked, water seeped up, and froze again. I was comfortable going 45mph in the straights and slowing to 20-30 in the turns, trucks with longer wheelbases were going 50-55mph so I pulled over a few times to let them pass. Braking was non-existant and would put you into a spin (what happened at the 27 minute mark), so if you want to slow down just coasting down was the only way to do so.

I was only expecting the short ice roads (more like ice paths) at Voyageurs NP, but I wasn't expecting the ice road between Angle and Kenora since I can't find anything about it on the internet. I would have preferred bringing my chains along, although obviously not required.

Reactions: Rickyd
6ft. The 2nd night there was enough room behind my head for the case of water bottles. So I could have probably been 7ft tall.
You sleep on your back or something? How did you fit between wheelwell/center console? That narrow area makes it so hard to sleep there for me lol. (Yes I am still barking up this tree)
If you've ever driven on an ice covered road it was exactly like that except no hills. If you've never driven on an ice covered road, because the temperature was above freezing, the surface became smooth with a slight amount of water on top in some areas — this makes for a very slippery condition. Near the edges there was some snow which provides traction, but there was also slush over there. There was also some ridges where the ice had cracked, water seeped up, and froze again. I was comfortable going 45mph in the straights and slowing to 20-30 in the turns, trucks with longer wheelbases were going 50-55mph so I pulled over a few times to let them pass. Braking was non-existant and would put you into a spin (what happened at the 27 minute mark), so if you want to slow down just coasting down was the only way to do so.

I was only expecting the short ice roads (more like ice paths) at Voyageurs NP, but I wasn't expecting the ice road between Angle and Kenora since I can't find anything about it on the internet. I would have preferred bringing my chains along, although obviously not required.

Sounds freaky but really unique experience. Something cool about not being able to find it online too lol. Sounds fun and you were in NO hurry, that's when ice really gets sketchy!

Checked out the section of the video. Took me a few minutes to realize that you were spinning out right there. So it's not just an ice road, it's like an entire network of roads over the water? That is so cool!

You sleep on your back or something? How did you fit between wheelwell/center console? That narrow area makes it so hard to sleep there for me lol. (Yes I am still barking up this tree)

Well, I didn't want to mention your weight... but... 🤣

I was comfortable on my back or side. The wheel well is further back than the console.

Sounds freaky but really unique experience. Something cool about not being able to find it online too lol. Sounds fun and you were in NO hurry, that's when ice really gets sketchy!

It was so much fun! Something about finding it when all of the planning the world (or internet) couldn't prepare me for it just snapped something back into place for me.

Checked out the section of the video. Took me a few minutes to realize that you were spinning out right there. So it's not just an ice road, it's like an entire network of roads over the water? That is so cool!

Yes! They go to the resorts, cabins, and ice fishing shacks. And there's several loops. Right before that at 26:30 you can see part of the network. I don't know who plows the road, but it was really well done. I suspect, but can't confirm, that the road also goes to the town of Longbow Lake.

Reactions: lBasket
Well, I didn't want to mention your weight... but... 🤣

I was comfortable on my back or side. The wheel well is further back than the console.
I am skinny as all hell lol. I mean yeah they aren't exactly next to each other but since you're at an angle they kinda interfere together. What side did you have your head on?

Maybe I need to give it another shot. Its so frickin convenient to not deal with a tent
It was so much fun! Something about finding it when all of the planning the world (or internet) couldn't prepare me for it just snapped something back into place for me.

Yes! They go to the resorts, cabins, and ice fishing shacks. And there's several loops. Right before that at 26:30 you can see part of the network. I don't know who plows the road, but it was really well done. I suspect, but can't confirm, that the road also goes to the town of Longbow Lake.
Yeah that's what I was seeing! And it was really cool when you panned through the map so you can see the geography. I was envisioning a road over a big lake but it's through a bunch of tiny ones. I guess that's MI for you.

What side did you have your head on?

🤣 Are you planning on killing me in my sleep now? The tailgate side.

Its so frickin convenient to not deal with a tent

I was super comfortable. I stacked all of my junk up on the tote and the driver's seat. If it was a multi-week trip I would want to figure out how to improve storage, water, and probably a few other things.

nice work on the video. I'd be sketched as hell about driving on ice, let alone sleeping. But I've never lived in or anywhere near a place where ice over water isn't just something waiting for the right moment to kill you.