Winter camping

dylansalrin

Orthopedic Circulator
Supporting Member
Going this weekend on a 2 day trip on the trans-Wisconsin trail. Has anyone camped in the winter before? I have temperature rated sleeping bags and mats and all but I heard about someone putting fire bricks from the outside camp fire in the tent overnight as a heat source. Would that work?

I camp in winter all the time...

A good (as cold rated as you can get) sleeping bag is by far the most critical item. If it's really cold you just need a few tarps rather than a tent, if it's not that cold then you'll need to take wetness into account and a tent may be a better idea. I've camped at -20 with just a tarp and a sleeping bag and been bone dry and toasty warm. I would go against the advice of the above poster and NOT pitch your tent close to the fire, if you care about the watertightness of your tent. IF (and only if) you think it's necessary you can bring a heated up rock or water bottle into the sleeping bag with you to keep you warm, however, remove it once it reaches body temperature or else you'll be heating it, not the other way around (only really a concern for super cold nights).

Take more warm clothes than you think you'll need. Know how to start a fire from scratch. Know how to tell dry wood from green wood from rotten wood. Dead trees that are still standing are the best firewood. If you're hiking bring poles, snowshoes and crampons. You never know when you'll come upon a massive ice sheet. Also if you're hiking don't let yourself sweat, rather, remove layers as you get hot. Hiking and finding/sawing/splitting firewood warms you up quickly.

Camp fuel doesn't work as well when it's very cold. Neither do running streams. Neither do foods like fruits, eggs or vegetables. Neither do beers (though liquor is fine). I've even had meat freeze solid on me on very cold days. Sometimes moving your camp stove closer to the fire can help it work better, but as you may expect, you have to be extra careful.

Learn how to make a simple lean-to shelter. Pine boughs make great soft seating in a pinch.

That's all I've got on the top of my tongue at the moment!

I camp in winter all the time...

A good (as cold rated as you can get) sleeping bag is by far the most critical item. If it's really cold you just need a few tarps rather than a tent, if it's not that cold then you'll need to take wetness into account and a tent may be a better idea. I've camped at -20 with just a tarp and a sleeping bag and been bone dry and toasty warm. I would go against the advice of the above poster and NOT pitch your tent close to the fire, if you care about the watertightness of your tent. IF (and only if) you think it's necessary you can bring a heated up rock or water bottle into the sleeping bag with you to keep you warm, however, remove it once it reaches body temperature or else you'll be heating it, not the other way around (only really a concern for super cold nights).

Take more warm clothes than you think you'll need. Know how to start a fire from scratch. Know how to tell dry wood from green wood from rotten wood. Dead trees that are still standing are the best firewood. If you're hiking bring poles, snowshoes and crampons. You never know when you'll come upon a massive ice sheet. Also if you're hiking don't let yourself sweat, rather, remove layers as you get hot. Hiking and finding/sawing/splitting firewood warms you up quickly.

Camp fuel doesn't work as well when it's very cold. Neither do running streams. Neither do foods like fruits, eggs or vegetables. Neither do beers (though liquor is fine). I've even had meat freeze solid on me on very cold days. Sometimes moving your camp stove closer to the fire can help it work better, but as you may expect, you have to be extra careful.

Learn how to make a simple lean-to shelter. Pine boughs make great soft seating in a pinch.

That's all I've got on the top of my tongue at the moment!

Man. That's a lot of info! Thanks! I just looked at forecast and it will be pretty warm, high of 50, night of 31*F so I'm thinking my sleeping bag (already rated for -10) and warm clothes should suffice. This time it's just overlanding, just a convoy of jeeps and no real hiking. Thank again for the info, I will definitely use it all in the future!

Reactions: JP98
Dress in layers, and don't forget to peel layers and ventilate as required. You can go hypother mic in surprisingly warm weather by not staying dry. Get an old army wool blanket to throw over your lap or over your shoulders in camp. It's easy to grab or she'd as required.

Reactions: dylansalrin
I'm an avid backpacker and have found through trial and error that on long treks and keeping my pack at a preferred weight of 20lbs , I'm only good down to 35 degrees, that's with a hammock.
Since going to a hammock i simply can't get comfortable in a tent.
But i will say, the use of a tent will allow much lower temps to be tolerable unless you invest in under quilts.
If funds allow i would invest in quality down, sleeping bag and coat. No man-made material has yet to compare to the warmth to weight ratio of goose down.
Few other things I've learned over the years, eat well and drink plenty of water to stay warm.
I also remember this old saying......it's easier to stay warm then it is to get warm :)
Hope you enjoy your trip.

I'm an avid backpacker and have found through trial and error that on long treks and keeping my pack at a preferred weight of 20lbs , I'm only good down to 35 degrees, that's with a hammock.
Since going to a hammock i simply can't get comfortable in a tent.
But i will say, the use of a tent will allow much lower temps to be tolerable unless you invest in under quilts.
If funds allow i would invest in quality down, sleeping bag and coat. No man-made material has yet to compare to the warmth to weight ratio of goose down.
Few other things I've learned over the years, eat well and drink plenty of water to stay warm.
I also remember this old saying......it's easier to stay warm then it is to get warm :)
Hope you enjoy your trip.

Thanks! Time is running short and the trip is this Saturday, I have a down comforter but it was quite a bit of $$ and it's fairly large to bring on a camping trip for one night ha. Will defiantly dress in wool though. Really appreciate all the advice! I am super pumped

The colder it gets the less moisture in the air so you don't have to worry so much about moisture coming from outside your shelter as much as you creating moisture inside from exhaling so keep good ventilation. Also, lay your clothes next to the sleeping bag, that way you can pull them into the bag about 15 minutes before you climb out. Get dressed in the bag to save body heat.

Reactions: dylansalrin
I keep a toque and a pair of socks in my sleeping bag. Seems crazy in the summer but I know I'd forget to bring them for cold camping trips.
Comfortable pajamas are the 'rough' grey wool underwear tops/bottoms (called Stanfield's in BC) .... and toque and socks.
Have used this combo for many sheep hunts ..... combined with a lightweight bag and small tarp. No tent.