WINTER TIRES BC

billiebob

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
It used to be in BC you either had Winter Tires OR Carried Chains.
No more. The new signage says......
4 Wheeler... Winter/Snowflake/M&S tires
Commercial Trucks.... Carry Chains

DSCN0188.jpg

It used to be in BC you either had Winter Tires OR Carried Chains.
No more. The new signage says......
4 Wheeler... Winter/Snowflake/M&S tires
Commercial Trucks.... Carry Chains

View attachment 1566

What is M+S?

I've used my All Terrain tires in some crazy snow and never once needed chains. Do you feel chains are necessary with your tires at any point?

M+S goes back decades to when you ran summer tires or mud and snow tires. They still make M+S tires today.

Chains, for commercial trucks??
Yeah... ever see an 18 wheeler without them?

Hence the new signage

Not sure who pushed the new signage..
4 wheelers running summer tires and carrying chains?
Or commercial trucks running winter grips on the 8 drive tires and trying to pull the other 10... or in Canada the other 24 tires up a mountain grade. Anyway, today Wrangler TJs MUST run Winter/M&S/Snowflake tires for 6 months.... in BC.

Oregon, Washington, Idaho, BC.... pretty similar winters.

Last edited:
M+S goes back decades to when you ran summer tires or mud and snow tires. They still make M+S tires today.

Chains, for commercial trucks??
Yeah... ever see an 18 wheeler without them?

Hence the new signage

I understand that commercial trucks need chains but have you ever needed chains on your Wrangler?

Rarely but yes. There are conditions where the snow is liquid. Without chains you simply slide off the mountain. I run chains for 235/85R16s. A bit over the top but real inexpensive and bulletproof. Fit 33s like they were made for them. I never carry them but will take them when I know i will need them....

I have never needed them on a highway. Only on a mountain pass / forestry road in the off season. A few of my customers work there, in the back country running SnowCat or HeliSki or BackCountry operations. Me, I prefer to drive in with my tools. Man I love my TJ.

10pm... christmas eve... just walked the dog.
Full moon, fresh 1" of snow, just below freezing, christmas parties breaking up, what a gorgeous night.
Love living in the forest, in the mountains, by the lake.
Richard even went for a quick swim.
Wish I was a dog.

Reactions: Chris
That's what I figured. I assume that you would never need chains on a main road or highway with a nice set of AT tires. I've driven through some crazy snow with my Duratrac tires and never needed chains. I always carry them just incase though.