Wire crimp tool

I’ve used marine heat shrink on stuff now it has a blue inside that heats up and sals the inside. A small butane torch works great I’ll use the one from harbor freight if it breaks oh well

Loop the zip tie around what you want to hook up. Set the tool for the proper tension. Squeeze the handle and the tool sets the proper MilSpec tension and cuts the tail off the zip tie. It's pretty cool, actually. Perfect zip tie every time. Not too loose, not to tight. Trimmed flush.
they work great. being a retired a/c mech. used them many times.....but seriously not worth the time/money for only doing 3 or 4 zip-ties.

So I was looking at getting this kit and was wondering of there is any use on a TJ for the ring, fork, and hook connectors or if I should just buy a kit of butt connectors and another kit of spade connectors?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07124B886/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Our most used connectors are ring in many sizes, spade quick disconnects for relays, and butt connectors. The fork and hook work very well on bus bars if you want to use them for common ground and supply side. I don't like the look or the space they take up.

Lots of the higher end switches use screws that are not able to be removed easily since the end threads are deformed to keep from losing them, hook and forks stop you from nipping a bit out of a ring to use it.

Reactions: Captain Phoenix
A properly crimped connector is almost always better than a soldered connector (less prone to vibration breakage). To weather proof it just heat shrink over the crimp connector.

Yup.

Soldering doesn't make it weather proof either. Whether you do that or crimp you still need to heat shrink it. I use the type with adhesive on the inside. Use the right size, shrink it down real good, and no water is getting in that.

Im a big fan of open barrel crimps followed by good heat shrink. For areas where using open barrel crimps is a complete pain in the ass, I use bare metal butt connectors followed by good heat shrink.

Yes the colored butt connectors with heatshrink work but in my experience it is pretty easy to tear the heatshrink when you crimp them.

I prefer ratcheting crimp tools as it gives you a consistent crimp every time.

Im a big fan of open barrel crimps followed by good heat shrink. For areas where using open barrel crimps is a complete pain in the ass, I use bare metal butt connectors followed by good heat shrink.

Yes the colored butt connectors with heatshrink work but in my experience it is pretty easy to tear the heatshrink when you crimp them.

I prefer ratcheting crimp tools as it gives you a consistent crimp every time.

Do you have links to the brands you like to use?

For open barrel crimps i have a sand which bag with hundreds of them left over from my days as a Chrysler tech. If i had to buy more i would buy them from TE connectivity.

For bare butt connectors i use 3M.

The ratcheting crimp tool i have is from SG tool aid but I would like to get a nicer set eventually.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006O1Y1FY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

For both open barrel and butt connector crimps, the dies on most ratcheting crimpers have 2 sets of dies per crimp. I want a pair that only has a single row of crimping dies. Havent found one yet.

After purchasing a ratcheting crimper several years ago, I rarely use anything else. I use this one. Over time I have added to the collection of dies for specialty connectors.

However, I have found it it also important to have a nice sharp pair of strippers as well. For that Kleins work well for me.

Regarding heat guns, I think that the accessory kit that can be purchased with or for a quality gun is extremely valuable when trying to direct that hot air under a dash or other cramped area and avoiding melting something you don't want melted.

E94B8C16-0D44-4701-B54A-8B6B112912DD.jpeg

I have a large collection of older AMP and TE hand crimpers for various connectors. Industrial quality. They run about $800-$2000 each new. Willing to sell cheap. If anyone is interested please PM me. Selling as a lot.

E2B712EE-6407-456E-9DD4-68052DF2F238.jpeg

338A5DA0-5F04-4AF2-8C58-74E8860513B9.jpeg

B119F2F6-B419-4755-A18B-ADB5A544827B.jpeg