Wire Crimping Dies

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a basic wire crimping tool, which came with 5 types of die. Just like this, but branded differently.

While trying to find out which dies were intended for which connectors, I've learned just how many different dies are available. So, which crimping dies do you own, and actually use regularly on any part of your TJ?

Some internet pics below, for example.

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 10.45.32.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 10.46.32.png

Update: I see that some other brands provide illustrations/guides with their dies. This one, for example, makes it pretty clear which style should be used with which type of connector.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 12.14.18 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 12.14.30 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 12.14.37 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Dies can run thousands of dollars. You need metri-pak, weather pack, molex, ring terminals, both insulated and Un insulated, that should cover 95% of everything you will need

Reactions: J.Pierce
I have a bunch of dies and crimpers that I use for work, but I've had to do very little wiring on my Jeep.
I think I did a couple heat shrink butt splice connectors when I changed my tails and turns.
I know I've never gotten into needing to repin the factory harness.
It seems like it would be rare that it would need to be done. Unless you have another need for the dies you might be better off just ordering them as needed, if ever.

Reactions: SSTJ
Dies can run thousands of dollars. You need metri-pak, weather pack, molex, ring terminals, both insulated and Un insulated, that should cover 95% of everything you will need

Nice, thanks. Would it be easy for you to say which number die would be for each of those that you mentioned?

Edit: Or are those just the ones that are pictured in this link of the set I already have?

I use dies in a hydraulic crimp tool for heavy gauge wire, stuff for battery cables and winches. I don't see the point in special tools for smaller stuff, you aren't sending a probe to mars. I've just learned to use small pliers and haven't had any issue recreating pretty much any crimp.

What are you trying to crimp?

Nothing at the moment. Just wondering what dies would be good to have on hand for the future, if any. I came across all these options when trying to figure out which of my 5 options to use for some spade connectors.

I use #13 and/or #14 extensively for non-insulated "Packard style" terminals. It takes a little bit of practice to get good crimps, and I still f them up on occasion. But for wiring in switches with spade terminals I like them a lot. Also for butt splices.

Is “Packard style” what’s shown in the corner of the images for those two numbers? If so, those are the ones I have the hardest time with.

Is “Packard style” what’s shown in the corner of the images for those two numbers? If so, those are the ones I have the hardest time with.

yes, I believe. I might have the name wrong, but that's the style for sure.

I have a basic wire crimping tool, which came with 5 types of die. Just like this, but branded differently.

While trying to find out which dies were intended for which connectors, I've learned just how many different dies are available. So, which crimping dies do you own, and actually use regularly on any part of your TJ?

Some internet pics below, for example.

View attachment 337731

View attachment 337732

Update: I see that some other brands provide illustrations/guides with their dies. This one, for example, makes it pretty clear which style should be used with which type of connector.

View attachment 506606

View attachment 506607

View attachment 506608

I use B1 staked crimps on non-insulated butt or ring terminal connectors with adhesive lined heat shrink. Quick, easy, clean, strong, waterproof. Klein crimper/stripper.

Last edited: