Wiring issues related to replacing a 2003 4.0 with a 2006 4.0

gilski

Trying to swap my sons 2003 jeep 4.0 for a low mileage 2006. Unfortunately the guy I bought the engine said it was a perfect swap. Now I realize there are wiring issues.

Trying to swap my sons 2003 jeep 4.0 for a low mileage 2006. Unfortunately the guy I bought the engine said it was a perfect swap. Now I realize there are wiring issues.
Convert the 06 back to an 03 and move the sensors and what not over. What wiring is confusing you? I believe you will have to move or rework the IAT sensor but not much else or if there are other things, they aren't hard to solve. You have both motors, right?

Reactions: Chris
I have both motors. Do I change the cam sensor as well? I'm probably confused on wiring somewhere I read that a guy spliced and cut a new harness. It sounds like straight forward on getting all the 03 electrical components on and hookups matching. If ECM reads the same should be fine.

I have both motors. Do I change the cam sensor as well? I'm probably confused on wiring somewhere I read that a guy spliced and cut a new harness. It sounds like straight forward on getting all the 03 electrical components on and hookups matching. If ECM reads the same should be fine.
The only mechanical differences will be the torque converter bushing on some of them in the end of the crank. I believe all the 42RLE converters need the bushing, so that may be a non issue. The other difference is the camshaft synchronizer versus the OPDA. Both fit and work in the same hole that the distributor is used in.

The OPDA will need to be removed and replaced with the Camshaft Synchronizer that the 03 uses. In other words, you should only have to play with two possible connectors, one for the IAT which is in the intake tube in the 05-06 and possibly the TPS connector. I'd have to check but I know there are some small differences in the throttle body over the years and I believe that also relates to the sensor which then may require a different connector but not if you move the manifold from the 03 onto the 06.

The PCM won't know what you did since you are keeping it all the same as it was before.

Reactions: -T. and CodaMan