Wiring KC Apollo Pro 6" Halogens to Factory Fog Light Switch?

doc54

I ordered some KCHiLites 6" Apollo Pro lights to mount on my A-pillar/cowl. I was wondering if it would be possible to use the supplied KC wiring harness (with relay) and simply connect it to the factory fog light switch on the bezel (I have removed the OEM fog lights and will not be using them). I would prefer to keep the look of the stock switch rather than drilling a hole and installing an ugly after-market one. I've been looking online for an answer of whether or not this would work, but I'm finding mixed answers. I have attached the wiring diagram provided by KC. To my understanding, I should be able to disconnect the factory wiring to the switch and connect the new wiring from the harness to it. Is this correct? I haven't had a chance to try wiring it in yet so any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

KC Wiring Diagram.png

First, see if your OE factory fog lamp wiring is providing +12v to the plug for the fog lights. Pull the switch on and measure for 12 volts at the plug and make sure it goes on and off with the fog light switch. If it does you can connect that switched 12 volt wire to the green wire to control the relay. Make sure the relay has a good solid ground connection for the black wire that leaves it.

If you don't get 12 volts at the fog lamp connector, there may be no fog lamp relay inside the PDC. If it's not there, temporarily 'borrow' the horn's relay and plug it into the space marked for the fog lamp inside the PDC and see if you get 12 volts at the plug then. If you do, just buy another relay, they're easy to find.

You could do this without even using most of the KC wiring or relay by extending the light wiring to hook up straight to the factory fog plugs. You could cut the plugs off the KC harness, plug them into the lights and run them to the chopped off factory fog plugs (butt splice together). Or if you found adapter plugs you could adapt the extended wiring to the factory fog plugs to leave everything stock.

However, be advised that in that setup, you will only be able to use them when lights are on, and they will shut off when the high beams go on. I believe there is a relatively easy way to make them work on both high or low beam but I believe they will still be limited to only working when the lights are on, if you are okay with that.

And yes as Jerry said you will need to make sure the vehicle is actually powering the fogs currently, you may or may not need to add the relay if you don't have it yet.

Personally, if it were me, I'd put those on a stock looking switch that goes below the radio, and put some real fogs on the bumper, hooked to the fog wiring. But that's just me.

Last edited:
I had the factory fogs on the stock bumper, they did work with the factory toggle switch, until I changed bumpers. I do have two blanks above the cigarette lighter (Jeep came with factory soft top) so I could purchase a new OEM looking toggle switch off eBay and wire it right to that. Would that be any easier than using the fog light switch I already have? I’ll have to think about it and may go that route if I plan to put another set of fogs on the bumper. Thank you.

The wiring harness from KC does include a relay by the way.
Yes but to use the factory switch the factory relay has to be there unless you are comfortable digging into the factory wiring at the factory relay socket location to bypass it .

So it seems it would be easiest to buy a new switch that will fit in the OEM spot. I think I'll do that since I may add fogs back to the bumper in the future. Thank you again.

Reactions: Sancho
So it seems it would be easiest to buy a new switch that will fit in the OEM spot. I think I'll do that since I may add fogs back to the bumper in the future. Thank you again.
I did that.

Check amazon for generic oem type switches.

If you want a greater selection that are not oem style... but rocker switches... check out www.otrattw.com

Good guy.