Wobble at 40-45 mph

RW4

Just purchase a 2006 TJ with 101K miles. Runs well but at these speeds the steering wheel shakes badly.

Had the dealer replace Tie rod, Drag Link, Steering Shock. Ball joints are tight or at least not needed at this time I believe.

Am I looking at the right components or is it more contributable to wheel balance issues?
Thx!

Just purchase a 2006 TJ with 101K miles. Runs well but at these speeds the steering wheel shakes badly.

Had the dealer replace Tie rod, Drag Link, Steering Shock. Ball joints are tight or at least not needed at this time I believe.

Am I looking at the right components or is it more contributable to wheel balance issues?
Thx!

Speed dependent vibration is usually a balancing issue. You need to make sure your wheels are true and the tires are properly balanced. TJ is very finicky when it comes to tires being balanced and you might not get it right on the first shot if some kid does it at a chain tire shop.

I agree with tire balance. Also do a dry steering test. Have someone sit in the vehicle and turn the steering wheel back and forth just enough to not move the wheels while you look over the front suspension. Look for joints with slop in them.

Another vote for tire balance. I purchased LJ, and had bad shimmy at around 45. I got new lift, and still had it. Got new wheels and tires, and they put in those dumb balance beads. Still had shimmy. A shop took the beads out, and balanced the wheels. Was MUCH better, but still had it slightly. It seems harder to balance smaller wheels. They told me the 15s were giving them a tuff time. I had for a yr, and went to 27s with 35s. The shimmy is completely gone now. I am glad I followed advice from forums like this one and stayed on the balance issue. I've read where alot of guys replace part after part, looking to fix the shimmy.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 94c2500