Wobble between 55-65 mph

GTTJ

Supporting Member
I've had a wobble in the steering when driving between 55-65 for awhile and need some thought on what I can look at to help out. It's not so bad that I have to speed up or slow down to drive. Bumps don't make it better or worse.

I've got an RE3.5" lift with adjustable control arms, Currie steering, Currie trackbar, relatively new ball joints and running 35's.

Bad tire or bad tire balance. Speed sensitive vibrations are pretty much always bad tire or bad tire balance related. Even when the tires have been recently balanced or recently re-balanced.

So as long as I don't have 2 bad, I should be able to rotate the tires and at least get the issue out of the front end, right?

Reactions: pagrey
If you rotate both tires front to back and there is no change in speed or intensity there is almost no possibility it is balance. Realistically shakes that come on at 55 mph are almost always balance related (dynamic balance). If you have an older RE lift it's very possible the bushings are getting worn, that'll allow a small balance problem to become a big one. You can rotate your tires anywhere you want. If they are bad then they shouldn't be run, if they are good then you can put them anywhere.

If you rotate both tires front to back and there is no change in speed or intensity there is almost no possibility it is balance. Realistically shakes that come on at 55 mph are almost always balance related (dynamic balance). If you have an older RE lift it's very possible the bushings are getting worn, that'll allow a small balance problem to become a big one. You can rotate your tires anywhere you want. If they are bad then they shouldn't be run, if they are good then you can put them anywhere.

Thanks. I just rebuilt all the control arms in the last 500 miles. I had this wobble before and after the rebuild. I did find some worn bushings so I was hoping that would be the cause but it wasn't.

I'll try rotating the tires so I can at least confirm that is the issue.

Reactions: pagrey