Wobble/Sway on ‘97 lifted TJ (not death wobble)

Redfish2224

I just purchased a lifted 1997 TJ and when driving it home I had a scary experience where the Jeep would steer side to side at speeds above 30 mph. It seemd to occur worse when I was not accelerating and braking seemed to make it worse as well. All that fixed it was a death grip on the steering wheel and allow it to slow down. If I tried to overcorrect it felt like I would lose control.
This does not sound like death wobble. Any ideas what might be the issue? I am not mechanic but here are the mods the seller made that might affect it.

6” lift
Brand new tires and Rims
Shocks
Sway bar quick detach links
Drop pitman arm
Track bar
Tie rods and ball joints
Steering stabilizer
Lowering steering unit (borgeson)

Last edited:
From your post i cant tell if you want to fix it or sell it-

You may have a broken control arm mount or very bad bushings, or track bar bolt loose- also would be good to jack up the front wheels and rock them to check the hub unit bearings- the jeep is telling you it isn’t safe.

Definitely want to fix it. I love the Jeep just want it to be safe.
Get a jack and check the front.

Also you can roll it and slam the brakes and see a lot about the lower control arm connections- dont go by prying or tugging on things- takes more force .

I’d start with inspecting bolts at every connection on the track bars, control arms, steering and sway bars.

When I am driving a low speeds and hit the brakes hard it feels like the rear end is tailing to the side. Likely the front tires turning that initiates the feeling.

When I am driving a low speeds and hit the brakes hard it feels like the rear end is tailing to the side. Likely the front tires turning that initiates the feeling.
Sounds like rear steer, i’d be all over those rear control arms and the rear track bar- aint normal

Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it. Taking it to the shop in the morning to get everything checked out. Definitely not right.

Reactions: AndyG
Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it. Taking it to the shop in the morning to get everything checked out. Definitely not right.
Please post on this thread what you find out .... when you learn we all learn

I believe you could get under it with a flashlight right now and probably say something obvious

So here’s the verdict on the wobble…the pitman arm and steering column were shot. In addition, the right rear forward arm needed to be adjusted and where the lower arm connects to the frame, the bolt hole had wallowed out and there was a 1/2” space between the bolt and the frame causing movement.

Pitman arm and steering column were replaced and the frame was welded to fix the bolt hole. Drives like a dream now.
On your cosmetic fixes on the dash and some touch up on the rhino lining and it’s good to go.

Reactions: Hopper
So here’s the verdict on the wobble…the pitman arm and steering column were shot. In addition, the right rear forward arm needed to be adjusted and where the lower arm connects to the frame, the bolt hole had wallowed out and there was a 1/2” space between the bolt and the frame causing movement.

Pitman arm and steering column were replaced and the frame was welded to fix the bolt hole. Drives like a dream now.
On your cosmetic fixes on the dash and some touch up on the rhino lining and it’s good to go.
Good job- These things can drive great but they will let you know if you got a problem-yours is a good example , it often not just one thing and it really pays to be thorough. Thanks for following up. Stay around.