Steering wobble after installing factory pitman arm

04Rubi

Replaced the drop pitman arm with factory one. Only adjusted for steering center. No wobble before just bump steer, no bump steer but wobble at 50 mph and above. 3 “ lift. 38k miles everything tight, what the heck?

Doesn't make sense but swap front and back tires....speed specific wobble is usually the tire...and by tight don't go by feel...dry test the steering by having someone move the steering wheel and watch all the connections as you change direction up front.

Especially the track bar.

Nice TJ.

I had my son work the wheel and did see a small amount of up and down movement of the tie Rod end at pitman. No drop bracket on track bar. I did order an adjustable track bar, doing one thing at a time here. Would adjusting the tie Rod to make the steering wheel straight effect my alignment? I am replacing the tie Rod end today. It seems odd I went from a tight front end with bump steer to no bump steer with major wobble just changing the pitman. It’s literally not drivable above 50.

Replaced the drop pitman arm with factory one. Only adjusted for steering center. No wobble before just bump steer, no bump steer but wobble at 50 mph and above. 3 “ lift. 38k miles everything tight, what the heck?
Everything is not tight.

Steering of a TJ is a daisy chain of components.

Now that one is fixed other weak links in the chain will show themselves.

You might have been sloppy enough that you didn't notice the wobble. Now that something is fixed other issues will show up.

What you're describing could be many things but I'd start with the tires.

Feedback from wrongly worn tires can be massive. Out of balance. Etc. Etc.

I had my son work the wheel and did see a small amount of up and down movement of the tie Rod end at pitman. No drop bracket on track bar. I did order an adjustable track bar, doing one thing at a time here. Would adjusting the tie Rod to make the steering wheel straight effect my alignment? I am replacing the tie Rod end today. It seems odd I went from a tight front end with bump steer to no bump steer with major wobble just changing the pitman. It’s literally not drivable above 50.
Daisy chain. Don't be surprised when you change the tie rod at the pitman you srill have issues.
Once that is tight the next weakest link will show itself if they exist.

First off I think I messed up straightening the steering wheel by adjusting the drag link. It has to be way out of alignment now. I think I saw a post that showed doing a at home alignment with clamping angle iron to hubs. The tires never vibrated before at ANY speed. And they can’t have but a couple hundred miles in them. Remember it only has 38k on it not 138k. My last one had 148k on it and never replaced any front end components and never a death wobble.

I replaced a dropped pitman arm for bump steer, then replaced the track bar for wobble said screw it and ordered the crown heavy duty steering setup and replaced everything!!!!!! No more bump steer, no more wobble and lots of peace of mind!!!!!

I replaced a dropped pitman arm for bump steer, then replaced the track bar for wobble said screw it and ordered the crown heavy duty steering setup and replaced everything!!!!!! No more bump steer, no more wobble and lots of peace of mind!!!!!
Got a link to that crown set up?

Ok, So I researched this some more, and I did not change my toe in by centering the steering wheel. But, I did learn how to check toe in which I am doing today.

Reactions: John Cooper
Measurements on toe in were identical, so need to adjust to 1/8”. But don’t think that little bit was giving me the wobble.

That crown set is a good deal if they are quality parts. I just paid $52 for one MOOG Rod end at advance auto. So if I replace all four that’s more than the crown set that comes with new drag link and tie Rod!

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
you said you didn't adjust the toe-in, i would think thats your problem if it's dead nuts on. any bump would make you got from toe-in to toe-out as it bounces from one to the other would give you some squirrely steering, set it at 1/8 in. toed-in and that should fix it.