Wont go

Kipper

Supporting Member
Hi All
We brought our 1st Jeep about a month ago.
2005 TJ wrangler auto, and we are having a few issues and am looking for some advice.

Sunday morning decided to take it for a trip to the beach - jumped in started it up and tried to drive off. Well that didn't go well.

There is a grinding noise coming from the front end and the car wants to bunny hop when applying the accelerator - goes nowhere in a hurry.
Put it into reverse to put it back in the driveway - it wasn't having any of that - motor revs up and we go no where. put into drive again crawled forward with more grinding and clunking.

Have had the brakes overhauled a couple of weeks ago as the front left hand wheel dragged along the ground. Was told the Piston was releasing locking the brake on, had that fixed and it went like a charm until Sunday.
Anyone have any issues like this in the past?

I had a Dodge Ram that had a similar issue that one front wheel locked up, dragged, then went okay for awhile and locked again. Turned out to be a wheel bearing.

Start by jacking up the front and seeing if the wheel can be turned by hand. Find which one is stuck and pull the wheel. It should become evident where the hold up is coming from.

Reactions: brown_mule
First, was your transfer case in 4Hi or 4Lo when you noticed the Jeep "bunny hopping" during turns? The Jeep should only be in 4Hi or 4Lo when off the pavement. It will bunny-hop/steer funny if you're in 4Hi or 4Lo when you're driving on pavement. The Wrangler's 4x4 is only meant for offroad use, it should never be used on pavement.

Now, is your transfer case in Neutral or "between gears" so it grinds or the engine just revs when you try to go? Just try shoving the transfer case lever all the way forward so it is back in 2wd.

First, was your transfer case in 4Hi or 4Lo when you noticed the Jeep "bunny hopping" during turns? The Jeep should only be in 4Hi or 4Lo when off the pavement. It will bunny-hop/steer funny if you're in 4Hi or 4Lo when you're driving on pavement. The Wrangler's 4x4 is only meant for offroad use, it should never be used on pavement.

Now, is your transfer case in Neutral or "between gears" so it grinds or the engine just revs when you try to go? Just try shoving the transfer case lever all the way forward so it is back in 2wd.

Thanks for the response.
yep, understand its a 4 wheel drive, this is not my first 4WD but it is my 1st jeep
One of the 1st things I checked was to make sure it was in 2WD with no luck.
when I dropped into into drive could feel the gearbox engage with the the normal jerk forward and the normal jerk backwards when selecting reverse.

I go back to the jacking the front end up and turning the wheels by hand. Best place to start and easy. You should be able to quickly work your way to where the problem is at.

a big thanks to all on here for their help.
Jacked up the front end and rotated the wheels by hand. Didnt find anything with the diff or the wheel bearings.
Drained the gearbox oil, thought it would hurt to do change the oil anyway - it was as black as the paint work on the body. Dropped off the oil pan and ended up with a handfull of needle roller bearing parts along with an amount of metal pieces.
Think I have found the problem

Reactions: JP98 and Chris
a big thanks to all on here for their help.
Jacked up the front end and rotated the wheels by hand. Didnt find anything with the diff or the wheel bearings.
Drained the gearbox oil, thought it would hurt to do change the oil anyway - it was as black as the paint work on the body. Dropped off the oil pan and ended up with a handfull of needle roller bearing parts along with an amount of metal pieces.
Think I have found the problem

Oh man... You definitely found the problem!