Woodrow's 97 Green TJ Moderate Build

I tried the hand/thumb throttle thing & couldn't get it to work well for me.

View attachment 411168

I also tried it in front of the shifter.

View attachment 411169

Mine was a kit but not the TeraFlex one. But more or less the same thing. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to try installing on again of not. I've got to see how sensitive the 6 pack is first. And how well I do trying to drive it with my right leg.

Yeah, the main thing is overcoming obstacles in the least eventful way. Whatever works for you.

Thumb throttle on an auto doesn't seem useful except for winching? Dangerous otherwise

Your foot bounces on teh gas pedal as you go over rough terrain with an auto as much as a manual, so for that aspect a hand throttle is valuable.

Reactions: Woodrow and Rickyd
Why does that matter? Not tracking.

I also have a onboard welder so I used the hand throttle to fun the welder.

Think about what happens when you rev it up and then put it in gear Like we both just said,its for accessories. Not for driving with an auto.

😉

Think about what happens when you rev it up and then put it in gear Like we both just said,its for accessories. Not for driving with an auto.

😉

Well you do have to have a brain to use the hand throttle. And as JMT just said your foot can bounce just as much in an auto as a manual so YES you can use it to drive with.

• Haha
Reactions: Ocho
Your foot bounces on teh gas pedal as you go over rough terrain with an auto as much as a manual, so for that aspect a hand throttle is valuable.

I find how i brace my heel on the floor and side of foot on the tunnel helps quite a bit with the bucking from a bouncing foot. Always annoying when it happens though

I think you are . The fact if it's a auto or manual IMO is a moot point.

Not really. Each type of trans is going to act differently with a hand throttle. I wouldn't want to fumble a shifter or lever to get my jeep to stop. Compared to just pushing in the clutch and being able to feather the power.

You know all this you grouchy ol bastard.you just want to argue with me,lol. #LS swap! 🤣

Sorry woody!

• Face Palm
  • Haha
Reactions: Woodrow and Wildman
A lot of drama over a hand throttle. 🤣

The main goal, however you do it, is to go over obstacles as uneventfully as possible. It works well for me most of the time, and other times I want the pedal. The hand throttle gives you more than one option.

Sorry for the disruption to your thread @Woodrow

Finished installing the hand throttle. I needed an adjustable cable stop which I found rooting around in a bike mechanic’s spare parts bin at a local shop. Then I pulled the throttle cable bracket off the intake to drill it and mount the cable stop.
IMG_3786.jpeg

The rest of it was straight forward. I had a nice new spare Shimano shifter cable and housing on the shelf in the garage. That was run from the friction shifter mounted previously through the shift boot, console, firewall grommet, along the regular throttle cable, to the bracket and throttle body.
IMG_3787.jpeg

IMG_3788.jpeg

IMG_3789.jpeg

It works as expected and has nice smooth action. Time will tell on the location and shift lever. I did try the driver’s side as @JMT suggested but it felt a little awkward to me and I had to mount in higher there so it seemed more noticeable in normal shifting. But hard to say without more seat time.

Finished installing the hand throttle. I needed an adjustable cable stop which I found rooting around in a bike mechanic’s spare parts bin at a local shop. Then I pulled the throttle cable bracket off the intake to drill it and mount the cable stop.
View attachment 411615
The rest of it was straight forward. I had a nice new spare Shimano shifter cable and housing on the shelf in the garage. That was run from the friction shifter mounted previously through the shift boot, console, firewall grommet, along the regular throttle cable, to the bracket and throttle body.
View attachment 411616

View attachment 411617

View attachment 411618
It works as expected and has nice smooth action. Time will tell on the location and shift lever. I did try the driver’s side as @JMT suggested but it felt a little awkward to me and I had to mount in higher there so it seemed more noticeable in normal shifting. But hard to say without more seat time.
Humans are very adept. How are you manipulating the lever in that position? Do you use your pinky and ring finger?

Nice install. It looks good around the throttle. Nice tight fit. No play.

Reactions: Woodrow
Humans are very adept. How are you manipulating the lever in that position? Do you use your pinky and ring finger?

Nice install. It looks good around the throttle. Nice tight fit. No play.

Index and long to pull
hand throttle 2.jpg

and push
hand throttle 1.jpg

with palmar base of thumb stabilizing hand against the passenger side of the shift knob.

Some little things:
1. Re-aimed the head lights. No pics, but they’ve been a little mal-aligned ever since I took the grill off for the engine swap (over 18 mos ago🙄) Better now.
2. Oil change. Nice to have the starter and block ground wires out of the way of the filter. Also sent an oil sample to Blackstone labs for analysis. The Golen stroker has 8000 mi on it now and I’d like to see how its doing and if the zinc level is in the range I think with the additive.
IMG_3840.jpeg

IMG_3843.jpeg

3. Picked up a Bartact velcro holder for the fire extinguisher. It seems nice and secure. No more rolling around under the seat. Also it’s made in USA which makes me happy.
IMG_3854.jpeg

4. I pulled the silicone covers off my shock shafts. I’m not sure why I didn’t do it before. I’ve never used covers on fork stanchions or shock shafts on motorcycles and mountain bikes. The rear boots were holding some water, too. Since the shafts are exposed, I can clean and lube them ever now and then, just like the bikes.
IMG_3855.jpeg

IMG_3841.jpeg

SRAM butter is a mountain bike thing that is always on my shelf. They used to call it Judy butter way back before SRAM bought out RockShox.

About your winch plate setup. Could you put a bull bar on it?

If you mean a winch guard like this one from Savvy which uses the tow hook bolts to mount, I'm sure you could but like everything, it may or may not require some minor mods.
IMG_0020.jpg

Yes.

I guess it depends on the winch. Yours looks like it wouldn't have the clearance.

That particular winch (Warn 9.5XP) has a big motor for a mid frame winch (6.5hp, I think). @Blackjack could be more informative, I am sure. The clearance on the motor/passenger side is tight but I think its do-able.

Reactions: R3ID05TJ

View attachment 411616

Just a tip.
I did the throttle connection a little different, my OCD got to me when I saw the HT cable bind up when the FT was actuated. I went to a wrecking yard and picked up the little cover that attaches the spring like in your photo. I found the HT cable threaded through it like the spring does and it clips on the opposite side of the FT cable. I then put an cable lock that is used on RC airplane linkages.

This set up allows the cable to slide through the cap and not bind up when using the FT.

hand throttle  1.jpg

Hand Throttle 2.jpg

Last edited: