Woodrow's 97 Green TJ Moderate Build

200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Woodrow
A couple of little things and then a little bit of fun today. The Odyssey 34 AGM battery arrived and was installed. I actually ordered a 34/78 which has top and front side terminals but I don’t really need the side terminals so whatever 🙄. 850 CCA is slightly better than the 800 of the Interstate MTP but the Odyssey AGM should be better suited for off-roading and winching.

CB60C38A-5EA2-45BF-9FD7-E4717CBEBF09.jpeg

The old battery won’t go to waste. I’m going to fab a tray to do dual batteries in this Cummins 4BT swapped ‘94 GMC chassis cab 4x4 that we keep as a fire truck on the property. Plenty of space in there.
99EBFFA6-4992-4EB8-96BB-ACAF223F47C1.jpeg

UPS came with the new battery while I was adjusting my tailpipe due to a rattle (some clearances are kind of tight 😬). So, once the exhaust was tweaked and the battery was in, a test ride was in order. I decided a trip up the hill on the property would be more fun than going down the road because lockers!

I haven’t had the Jeep off road since I put in the front locker. All went well. The exhaust was rattle free. The wooded area of our place is pretty steep in spots and still wet; actually raining again today. Between the lockers and the SwayLoc, wow. This TJ is great. My only real comparison in this spot is my current 46hp 4x4 John Deere compact tractor. Between that and another similar tractor I had for almost 20 years, I have way more offroad seat time in tractors than Jeeps.
764E5564-251C-40CD-BA4D-0AA55A8AFE9C.jpeg

The tractor is very capable all over our land but the Jeep went places today with out drama where the tractor has struggled at times. To be fair, it weighs more than the TJ as configured. But the loader is great for self recovery and it has saved my bacon on more than one occasion by slamming it down when I get on 2 wheels.

I didn’t stop for pics up in the woods because I was too busy being entertained by the Jeep but here’s a couple shots flexing coming back down on to the road:
07C915AC-3FAF-4CC1-8589-E32A5BEA9A22.jpeg

23F81760-9CB0-4ABB-8B46-5B2A5D7B948A.jpeg

Fun stuff. I need to get this on harder trails more. Looking forward to Moab in June👍

My Jeep just started acting like the battery is going low but only sometimes. Other days it starts just fine. I really don't want to go down the rabbit hole of batteries and I really didn't want to fork over $350+ for a battery right now so I might go to Costco and see what they have.

That Odyssey was high on my list of AGM batteries tho. Where did you get it and how much was it if you don't mind me asking.

Still $365 at a couple places. Amazon, Walmart. Not horrible. I think I will just replace with a simple battery for now and get the Odyssey further into my build.

My Jeep just started acting like the battery is going low but only sometimes. Other days it starts just fine. I really don't want to go down the rabbit hole of batteries and I really didn't want to fork over $350+ for a battery right now so I might go to Costco and see what they have.

That Odyssey was high on my list of AGM batteries tho. Where did you get it and how much was it if you don't mind me asking.

See if you have an East Penn or Deka dealer near you and get an Intimidator 9A78DT. Should be able to find them in the $250 range.

See if you have an East Penn or Deka dealer near you and get an Intimidator 9A78DT. Should be able to find them in the $250 range.

Yea they're gonna be up in Phoenix about 2hr drive from here. I'm going to Costco today to see what they have. I've never seen this Intimidator battery before. Looks interesting for the price.

A couple of little things and then a little bit of fun today. The Odyssey 34 AGM battery arrived and was installed. I actually ordered a 34/78 which has top and front side terminals but I don’t really need the side terminals so whatever 🙄. 850 CCA is slightly better than the 800 of the Interstate MTP but the Odyssey AGM should be better suited for off-roading and winching.

View attachment 409055
The old battery won’t go to waste. I’m going to fab a tray to do dual batteries in this Cummins 4BT swapped ‘94 GMC chassis cab 4x4 that we keep as a fire truck on the property. Plenty of space in there.
View attachment 409056
UPS came with the new battery while I was adjusting my tailpipe due to a rattle (some clearances are kind of tight 😬). So, once the exhaust was tweaked and the battery was in, a test ride was in order. I decided a trip up the hill on the property would be more fun than going down the road because lockers!

I haven’t had the Jeep off road since I put in the front locker. All went well. The exhaust was rattle free. The wooded area of our place is pretty steep in spots and still wet; actually raining again today. Between the lockers and the SwayLoc, wow. This TJ is great. My only real comparison in this spot is my current 46hp 4x4 John Deere compact tractor. Between that and another similar tractor I had for almost 20 years, I have way more offroad seat time in tractors than Jeeps.
View attachment 409070
The tractor is very capable all over our land but the Jeep went places today with out drama where the tractor has struggled at times. To be fair, it weighs more than the TJ as configured. But the loader is great for self recovery and it has saved my bacon on more than one occasion by slamming it down when I get on 2 wheels.

I didn’t stop for pics up in the woods because I was too busy being entertained by the Jeep but here’s a couple shots flexing coming back down on to the road:
View attachment 409071

View attachment 409072
Fun stuff. I need to get this on harder trails more. Looking forward to Moab in June👍

That rig will do a lot more than your hill climbs! You're going to love Moab. I kinda wish I was going to be there in June to see it.

Reactions: Woodrow

It was in the range you mentioned($$$). I got it through Amazon as we don't have any local dealers which is a concern for warranty issues...

Last edited:
Yea they're gonna be up in Phoenix about 2hr drive from here. I'm going to Costco today to see what they have. I've never seen this Intimidator battery before. Looks interesting for the price.

Ironically East Penn is one of the largest battery manufactures (the largest in the US) and few know who they are. The Intimidator is a no frills AGM at a decent price.