Work light recommendation

Have the below light and a corded work light. I take the harbor freight light on all trips. Got mine on sale for about $20.

63958_W3.jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/390-lumen-magnetic-slim-bar-folding-led-work-light-63958.html

Thanks, that looks pretty darn useful. We don’t have Harbor Freight here (and they don’t ship here) so I’ll look for something similar. But keep suggestions coming!

I have an older, cordless, fluorescent work light (pre LED) that has served me well for years.

The light I use the most under the hood of my LJ is this Ryobi 18 volt light.
357B590B-828A-4190-BCAA-658F9205A98C.jpeg

It runs off any of their 18 volt batteries and can also be plugged into 120v.

The built in hook works well hooked under the hood of my Jeep.
FE238AB3-5846-42DF-BB26-DA3359F64824.jpeg

This picture was taken with the garage lights off to show how well it works.

I originally used a lot of cordless lights but I got tired of chasing around batteries and chargers. Now I use the standard plugin type work lights (with a long cord), but replace the bulb with an LED so it can take the shock load. Additionally, some of them come with a built in receptacle so you can plug in a grinder or whatever you need using the same cord.

1585062515846.png

I originally used a lot of cordless lights but I got tired of chasing around batteries and chargers. Now I use the standard plugin type work lights (with a long cord), but replace the bulb with an LED so it can take the shock load. Additionally, some of them come with a built in receptacle so you can plug in a grinder or whatever you need using the same cord.

View attachment 148122

I've used one of these styles forever too. Do you know what bulb you used? I've been looking for a really bright, sturdy LED.

So far I have been just using regular house hold LED bulbs from Costco I believe, nothing special. I have only destroyed one so far and it was from welding spatter melting through the plastic lens. Overall they are very tough and also don't get hot which was always a problem before.

Thanks. I thought maybe it was some type of heavy duty bulb.

Have the below light and a corded work light. I take the harbor freight light on all trips. Got mine on sale for about $20.

View attachment 147665
https://www.harborfreight.com/390-lumen-magnetic-slim-bar-folding-led-work-light-63958.html
I have one of these too. Great light.... bright, flexible, magnetic. Adding this has made me add USB ports in the shop too so I don't have to take them in the house to charge them by the phones, tablets & other USB devices.

Reactions: Apparition
I have one of these too. Great light.... bright, flexible, magnetic. Adding this has made me add USB ports in the shop too so I don't have to take them in the house to charge them by the phones, tablets & other USB devices.
Same, conveniently the magnetic light magnets to the power strip over my workbench so it’s always hanging there ready to go.

I also have one of these setups but hardly use the light because it’s battery powered and not as bright as the HF light.

“and also don't get hot which was always a problem before.”

But where’s the fun in that? ;);)
A whole generation will never know the “excitement“ of working with an old school trouble light under a dash or on your back and having the light come unhooked and the metal globe come in contact with your face!