Worn Yukon Axles

ranger101

TJ Addict
Looking for a little bit of advice here I guess. Started tearing my TJ down for gears today and when I pulled my axles I noticed the drivers side has some terrible wear on it. A little back story on the Jeep, I owned it for a few years and sold it. The person I sold it to snapped a rear axle and replaced them with Yukon 4340 axles. This is the current condition of the drivers side axle:

That spot is where the bearing rides. The passenger side axle is completely fine and has normal signs of wear on it. These axles have maybe 10k miles on them at the most. What should I do here? Contact Yukon and try to get a replacement? What would be causing this?

Also, what kind of unit is this? I’m assuming it’s not just an open diff? No real markings on it
1BEB7AD3-782D-483D-AFEA-0350C14E9E39.jpeg

That wear problem is what happens when a manufacturer effs up and manufactures a Dana 35 axle shaft with 4340 steel. The outer surface of 4340 is not surface hardened enough to prevent wear like that caused by the Dana 35's bearings riding directly on the axle shaft's surface instead of a race surrounding the bearing like the Dana 44 uses.

The fix for that is to replace those shafts with those made with 1541H steel which is surface hardened.

Reactions: Chris and StG58
So you think I’m just lucky that it’s wearing normal on the opposite side? I wonder what the original shaft looked like after 170k miles...

They’re case hardened like Jerry was saying. It hardens the outer surface while leaving the inner material a bit softer.

How long do you guys think I could get away with this axle? I’m going to contact Yukon and try to get one ASAP either way, but just curious.

Does your buddy have the old original axles? Kept for an emergency spare maybe? I would have him call Yucon. All the billing and any possible repare/replace would be in his name.

In other words, the 4340’s are weaker than stock in that aspect?
Weaker is not a good word to use. The problem is the type of steel alloy used. Some are good for higher hardness surface hardening and some are good for hardening through the whole axle. For a direct bearing surface, it is better to have the surface or case hardening alloys.

Both can be made to work, it is much more difficult to get the through hardening alloys to work unless you are very good at heat treating. The results generally wind up too soft on the surface for direct bearing contact, or too hard throughout which can make them brittle.

The end result of using a through hardening alloy for direct bearing contact is perfectly shown by your pair of axles. One is okay, one isn't and that inconsistency is why manufacturers should stick to case hardening alloys like 1541H for direct bearing contact.

Cool deal. For the time being I’ll see what they say about a warranty for this one and plan to swap them for the 1541’s soon.

Any help on identifying what assembly I have in there? It’s similar to a TrueTrac but I’m not 100% sure. Definitely doesn’t look like a normal open diff to me.

I haven’t. Tried calling a few times and left a couple messages but never heard back. I ended up keeping it in there for my beach trip last weekend but I’m going to get a replacement ASAP.

So I’m back to address this issue. I found a replacement 27 spline 4340 axle but it has the ABS ring on it where mine doesn’t. Does anyone know if the ABS ring is removable? The alternative is spending $100 more for the same axle without the ring.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078UAUU0/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Why are you even looking at 4340 shafts after being told your initial problem was due to having 4340 and that you want 1541H? A tone ring can be left in place, it doesn't interfere with anything.

I don’t know really. I honestly didn’t price them out until just now. Yukon never replied to me about my worn axle after multiple phone calls/messages which really discourages me from going with them again. Point me in the right direction of who else to buy from. G2 has a kit with new bearings for $300

I don’t know really. I honestly didn’t price them out until just now. Yukon never replied to me about my worn axle after multiple phone calls/messages which really discourages me from going with them again. Point me in the right direction of who else to buy from. G2 has a kit with new bearings for $300
Contact Ricky at www.4lowparts.com and ask him for his discounted price on the Revolution 1541H shafts.

Reactions: ranger101
Both numbers that I could find said that the number was no longer in service. I did find a set on eBay for $175 though. Not sure how that would compare to his pricing but it’s cheaper than the single Yukon 4340 I was going to purchase.
What did Ricky say when you contacted him as suggested above? I seriously doubt 1541H shafts are no longer available.