Worst Possible TJ Build

I did however see what was possible the worst YJ build I've ever seen. A guy took it to a shop to get it stretched and put on coil overs with new steering.

There is not a single aspect of it done correctly. If the shop didn't have their logo cut into every bracket, I would have taken pictures to show just how bad it was.

The worst part is they disassembled about half the rig rendering it un-drivable by removing the ABS pump, brake lines, ARB compressor, and a bunch of other essential stuff to put the hoops in.

They asked me to fix it. I told them I would minimally rework the steering to get it where the trackbar mount didn't hit the frame on small bumps but I wouldn't touch the rest of it because I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut about the shop's shoddy workmanship and design.

And, with a "Rubicon" decal on the hood, and big "Zombie Response Team" decals on the doors?

And maybe not a bumper / tire carrier. Maybe a 37" tire on the spare tire carrier (remember that 4 puck body lift?), with no bumpstop extensions, that's completely sagging - saw one the other day.

Reactions: dylansalrin
Don't forget the tire glitter.
FB_IMG_1488464098409.jpg

97-06 TJ
Manual trans
Atlas t-case
gearing of choice
RE, Rock Krawler, or Clayton Long Arm suspension
Tera passenger knuckle
Shortened Trackbar
Steel belly skid, corners, rock rails, swing out tire carrier with hi-lift attached and 2 5 gallon gas cans.
Big Tuffy box in back fully loaded.
Smittybilt winch on front with steel cable and giant hook.
35" BFG Muds
Steel rims

"off to replace my Rokmen steel corner guards, rocker guards and swing out tire carrier" LOL

Seriously, I have been wanting to replace them with Savvy. And I love the looks of the Exogate tire carrier.

Reactions: Chris
"off to replace my Rokmen steel corner guards, rocker guards and swing out tire carrier" LOL

Seriously, I have been wanting to replace them with Savvy. And I love the looks of the Exogate tire carrier.
Everyone is welcome to fulfill their own needs with what they deem appropriate. The thread title is the worst build possible, I put up my example and curiously, the rig in the first post we actually started with for my helper.

98 4 cyl auto with too much rust.
stretched to 102
35's
Dana 35 with a Super Kit
HP 30 27 spline front
Box for Rocks doubler
Motor cut loose and moved forward 8" to keep drive shafts the same length as before the addition of the second t-case.
Nearly flat belly skid.
Mid arm suspension
All aluminum armor
Outboarded Fox RR steel body shocks.

The internet build would struggle a fair bit following him through JV. It is a light, agile, capable rig that only has a few issues with top end. (we fixed that part not long ago)

Reactions: Chris and StG58
Not the heaviest possible but I have seen that one. A friend had a TJ with every gadget known to man bolted onto it and when it was weighed, the rig was 6400 lbs.

No, what I described is what me and my helper call the typical internet build and we've seen a bunch of them so the list was easy. They do all that and then wonder why it struggles to get over the trails in Big Bear.

Why we think it is the worst possible build is there is a whole bunch of money and time spent and the end result doesn't reflect it with improved performance.
6,400 pounds is right in the range of what my Suburban weighs in at. With a 454 in it and all the heavy duty running gear. Puts the Jeeps build's power to weight ratio right up there with a 60's VW Bus.

Last edited:
Everyone is welcome to fulfill their own needs with what they deem appropriate. The thread title is the worst build possible, I put up my example and curiously, the rig in the first post we actually started with for my helper.

98 4 cyl auto with too much rust.
stretched to 102
35's
Dana 35 with a Super Kit
HP 30 27 spline front
Box for Rocks doubler
Motor cut loose and moved forward 8" to keep drive shafts the same length as before the addition of the second t-case.
Nearly flat belly skid.
Mid arm suspension
All aluminum armor
Outboarded Fox RR steel body shocks.

The internet build would struggle a fair bit following him through JV. It is a light, agile, capable rig that only has a few issues with top end. (we fixed that part not long ago)
It's all about the execution, isn't it @mrblaine? Occasionally, you can polish a diamond out of a dog turd if you know what you're doing.

Obviously it all comes down to what you're doing with the vehicle.

Mall crawling doesn't require any functionality, just looks. Overlanding is going to require something totally different than doing Johnson Valley.

I guess the point is that what might be pointless and impractical in Johnson Valley (or similar), might not be as pointless in a completely different location / scenario.

However, I think that for the most part we are all in agreement that there's some very common things that people do to TJs that is just stupid in general (i.e. a Dana 35 with 37" tires), and we can all laugh at that.

Not to mention that there is a silly "fanboy" look that usually entails lots of LED lights, an angry eye grill, a high-lift jack mounted to the hood, a snorkel, and some other nonsense.

Obviously it all comes down to what you're doing with the vehicle.

Mall crawling doesn't require any functionality, just looks. Overlanding is going to require something totally different than doing Johnson Valley.

I guess the point is that what might be pointless and impractical in Johnson Valley (or similar), might not be as pointless in a completely different location / scenario.

However, I think that for the most part we are all in agreement that there's some very common things that people do to TJs that is just stupid in general (i.e. a Dana 35 with 37" tires), and we can all laugh at that.

Not to mention that there is a silly "fanboy" look that usually entails lots of LED lights, an angry eye grill, a high-lift jack mounted to the hood, a snorkel, and some other nonsense.
Well said. There is a difference between Blaine and his assistant building an otherwise looked down on TJ, and an Internet warrior slapping together a bunch of random parts for who knows what use. Targeted application and experience come to mind.

Reactions: Kyle_W and Chris
I can't believe none of you mentioned the transformers decale! I thought that was mandatory?

I've never seen that! What I see is the "zombie response team" or a vintage looking circled star on their doors (reminiscent of the stars put on Willy's), "Wrangler" on the hood in a terrible font, or a crap load of other worthless stickers.

Reactions: Forty
Ha... I do indeed dislike the Transformers stickers. Those things annoy me.

Reactions: Forty