Worst time you've gotten stuck?

So, this isn't a jeep-get-stuck but it's the worst stuck I've ever gotten and it has a very good lesson. Back in '73 a friend and I went to Australia to visit our high school exchange student who lived in New South Wales. We were all very adventure oriented and did tons of rock climbing, hiking, snorkeling etc. The family owned a little vehicle called a "Ute" (short for utility) sort of like a 2/3 scale Chevy El Camino.

1585750413993.png

It was an awesome little truck. The 3 of us packed all our gear in this thing and off we went to tour eastern Australia. We went up to Queensland to do some climbing in the Glass House Mountains. Nowadays this area is getting pretty built up but back then it was pretty wild. We got to the area about 10 AM in the rain and started down the trail. There were LOTS of creek crossings. Not being entirely stupid, we dutifully stopped before each one and walked it to make sure we wouldn't drop into anything ugly. After about 20 of these we got lazy (stupid) and decided that they were all probably OK and didn't get out and walk the next one. Of course, we drove into it, all ok, but as we exited the creek the Ute sank immediately all the way to the belly. We worked all the rest of the day trying every trick we knew to get out of the mud with no progress. Night falls. So does the rain. The Mosquito's arrive. The 3 of us spent the night rain soaked, covered in mud, suffering near fatal blood loss from the skeeters, sweating in the stiffling heat in a "2-man" pup tent. An awesome night to be sure. Next morning we walked out a hell of a distance, found a farm and knocked on the door. Farmer answers, takes one glance at us and says, "don't tell me, you're stuck at the 23rd crossing and need pulled out. You lot never learn, do you." He gets his tractor and we follow, walking, all the way back to the truck where he tells us "I'm gonna pull you out backwards on account of I don't want my tractor getting stuck. The other side of the creek is total bog for about half a mile." His tractor had to grunt to get us out of the hole but made short work of it. He refused our offer of payment or indentured servitude and his parting words were. "Just stop being stupid." Sadly, I'm still fighting the abrupt flashes of stupidity. At least I probably won't make that particular blunder again.

I hate mud, so I haven't really ever got my Jeep stuck in it.

I did get my dad's Lexus stuck in some mud once in college, with my girlfriend. My dad was not happy about coming to unstick me at 11:30pm. :oops:

That was 2003, no photos exist.

Last year my kid was farting around on some forest service roads, it was getting dark and he decided to turn around...in a puddle. A puddle that people w/ much bigger tires had rutted out. Luckily he had enough of a signal to call me. By the time I got there it was after dark and below freezing. I broke two recovery straps and ripped off half of his factory bumper trying to get him out that night. We finally left it and I let him ditch school the next day to go back and recover...We showed up w/ shovels and a come-along. Sandy loam sucks, you dig, it refills. Found two cell phones, 3 torn bumpers, lot's of broken straps in that ditch, it was a deep MF'er. No lockers, right front and left rear are in the air, there is 18" of water under the left front.
He lurks on here, he'll giggle.

IMG_5833.jpeg