Would anybody south of the border be interested in buying a Canadian LJ Rubicon?

Vinman

TJ Enthusiast
Just a random thought at this point but if I were to sell my LJR currently in Canada would there be any point in advertising it south of the border? Guys up here buy vehicles down there and import them to Canada all the time but curious if you guys do the same.

I wouldn’t bank on anyone from CA as a potential buyer. The additional cost to import combined with rust and forget trying to register it in this state

Reactions: Starrs
I wouldn’t bank on anyone from CA as a potential buyer. The additional cost to import combined with rust and forget trying to register it in this state
Rust is definitely not an issue in Western Canada if the vehicle is decently taken care of. Now anything east of Saskatchewan I wouldn’t touch.

Given the small amount of effort needed to post things on the Internet, if I was in your shoes I would.

When I bought my LJ, the only thing that would have stopped me from driving up to BC was the assumption that all Canadian Jeeps must be rusty. If someone posted lots of pictures of the frame and explained that as you just did above that Canadian Jeeps from West of Saskatchewan are not necessarily rusty, I'd have been open minded. But I would go so far as to put "Rust-free" in the title otherwise I might not have even opened it.

A CA buyer would probably be the hardest because of all the CA emissions rules, but not everyone in the US is in CA. ;-)

It's a bit of a myth that all vehicles in eastern Canada suffer from rust. Many older ones do but there are plenty of them that do not. My oldest Jeeps ('88 MJ & '89 XJ) were well taken care of and are rust free. I drive both through the winter and am more concerned about someone sliding into me than I am about them rusting out.

It's a bit of a myth that all vehicles in eastern Canada suffer from rust. Many older ones do but there are plenty of them that do not. My oldest Jeeps ('88 MJ & '89 XJ) were well taken care of and are rust free. I drive both through the winter and am more concerned about someone sliding into me than I am about them rusting out.
i wouldn't say its a myth. me being for Newfoundland myself ( please don't make fun lol), the salt on the road plus the dense salty ocean air deff takes a toll on your vehicle no matter how hard you try to stop it. get a rock chip in the paint and 3 months later is blistered..

It’s def harder on the east coast with all the road salt. I still have a completely rust free mint 93 XJ in Toronto but it’s been rust checked 27 years straight and babied otherwise ... wish my 04 TJ was as in as good shape out here in Alberta

i wouldn't say its a myth. me being for Newfoundland myself ( please don't make fun lol), the salt on the road plus the dense salty ocean air deff takes a toll on your vehicle no matter how hard you try to stop it. get a rock chip in the paint and 3 months later is blistered..

The myth, or assumption that ALL vehicles in eastern Canada are rusty is not true. Even though we use road salt and brine on our roads there are plenty of older rust free cars. If you take care of them properly they won't rust. I have mine sprayed at Krown once a year and wash them regularly in the winter and they're fine. My '88 MJ has no rust on it at all and my '89 XJ has a few stone chips up front but underneath there is zero rust. I have had the tops of the fenders on my '03 TJ & '04 LJ rust out but that's a design flaw (which is easy to fix). The last rusty car I drove was the the early '80s. It was a Toyota Celica and they were known to have problems back then.