Would changing my pitman arm correct handling issues?

rapidroy5858

I have read several posts stating that a lowered pitman arm is the wrong choice on a tj lifted less than 6 inches.
My new to me 06 tj has a 3.5 inch skyjacker lift and it wants to wander and dart over bumps and dips, it appears it has the dropped pitman arm but not a dropped track bar , would changing the pitman arm to stock help correct the handling issues?
I also plan to set the toe on it.
Thanks

20230124_211757.jpg

As a start install a stock pitman arm, set the toe in, set tire pressure in the 28 PSI range. Then take if for a drive and let us know how that worked.

Reactions: AndyG
Above is the first perfect starting point-

At some point you’re going to want to figure out how much caster the jeep has- caster Is what creates essential tracking force.

Reactions: tr21triton
Yes, DEFINITELY get rid of that dropped Pitman arm and install the factory Pitman arm. That DPA is causing bump steer which is when the steering is forced left/right when you drive over bumps/dips in the road.

Also installing a suspension lift decreases the toe-in angle so if it wasn't readjusted afterward it needs to be done since a bad toe-in can cause a vehicle to not track well. Here's how to easily and 100% accurately do that yourself with nothing but a tape measure, a big pair of pliers, and a wrench. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-align-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.85/

You can have your caster angle checked if you want but usually a 3.5" suspension lift will only slightly reduce it but reducing it is fine for bigger tires like you're running. The bigger the tire the less caster angle that is required so my bet is yours is likely fine... unless the above two steps don't cure the problems, then get your caster angle checked to see what it is.

Reactions: sideproject
I had to follow ALL of this advice, had to take off DPA, check toe in and I had to replace a lot, but the DPA removal was a huge change. Their suggestion is spot on, and the psi as well.

I might need to reduce my Caster, it's at 6.5 ish, I feel like I raised it to fix things, hmm, with 35's might need to look at backing it off some and see.

I had to follow ALL of this advice, had to take off DPA, check toe in and I had to replace a lot, but the DPA removal was a huge change. Their suggestion is spot on, and the psi as well.

I might need to reduce my Caster, it's at 6.5 ish, I feel like I raised it to fix things, hmm, with 35's might need to look at backing it off some and see.

Caster needs to be tested and evaluated. I run up to around 8 degrees for a lot of the 40" tire builds we do and it is common to dial in around 7 with 35's that run hubs.

Caster needs to be tested and evaluated. I run up to around 8 degrees for a lot of the 40" tire builds we do and it is common to dial in around 7 with 35's that run hubs.

Roger that. It drives awesome now (I've replaced a ton) and I have a Savvy Under Armor on order and already have the Savvy MML and 1.25" BL so I'll leave it and test/eval when S UA comes in and I get it on my TJ.

I think there is one thing that I would love to make sure people understand is these things will drive as good as any modern small, light truck- So many people dismiss things because they think a jeep just can’t drive as well but these things were designed on the same platform that all modern coil spring trucks now run. These are not leafspring vehicles like they were for decades. I don’t know of any vehicle that the aftermarket and shops have affected so badly- You won’t get in seven out of 10 Corvettes that drive terrible.

Yes, DEFINITELY get rid of that dropped Pitman arm and install the factory Pitman arm. That DPA is causing bump steer which is when the steering is forced left/right when you drive over bumps/dips in the road.

Also installing a suspension lift decreases the toe-in angle so if it wasn't readjusted afterward it needs to be done since a bad toe-in can cause a vehicle to not track well. Here's how to easily and 100% accurately do that yourself with nothing but a tape measure, a big pair of pliers, and a wrench. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-align-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.85/

You can have your caster angle checked if you want but usually a 3.5" suspension lift will only slightly reduce it but reducing it is fine for bigger tires like you're running. The bigger the tire the less caster angle that is required so my bet is yours is likely fine... unless the above two steps don't cure the problems, then get your caster angle checked to see what it is.

We hav

a pair of bolt on toe plates, not sure if they will bolt in the tj but i will try.
Caster was checked in Nov 22, it was 6.5..but im not sure if that was before the 3.5 lift and dpa work.

Reactions: John Cooper
A;

Did you miss the link in my above post #4 that gave a link to how to adjust your toe-in? Here it is again... https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-align-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.85/

I did miss it sorry.
Ty for the link I will read through the procedure.
I also noticed today that the jeep has a noticable lean to the right side , 3/4 to maybe an inch.
I will have to figure that out as well.
To confirmin the pic I attached I do have the dpa?
Thanks so much for the help

I did miss it sorry.
I also noticed today that the jeep has a noticable lean to the right side , 3/4 to maybe an inch.

Yes you have a DPA, swap it out for a stock one, throw the DPA as far as you can and never look for it again!!!!!!

I did miss it sorry.

That lean you are referring to is the right rear corner. This is very common. I think it's pretty much every TJ. There is nothing wrong that I know of. The only way to level it out is to add an additional spacer on that corner to level things out.

Yes, get rid of that DPA and do it ASAP!

That lean you are referring to is the right rear corner. This is very common. I think it's pretty much every TJ. There is nothing wrong that I know of. The only way to level it out is to add an additional spacer on that corner to level things out.

Yes, get rid of that DPA and do it ASAP!

You can put one of these in the right rear if you have a 4” lift.
https://www.rockjock4x4.com/CE-9131RH3