California Would it be a bad idea to wheel in Johnson Valley if I’m not rock crawling?

LA305

I am based in LA and looking for a spot I can go offroading this weekend. I am in stock height TJ with 31s so not looking to do any crawling or super serious trail driving there as I know it is a intense spot, but wondering if there are any trails or washes that would be fun to drive without going into the serious trails?

Usually I do forest roads and moderate trails, love Gorman for example and looking to vary it up a bit. Anza Borrego is an extra 1.5 hour drive for me so wanted to see what JV has to offer. After reading the threads about it here, sounds like it may not even be worth going with my rig as it currently sits.

On google maps and trail apps it looks like the trails in the valley and on some hills that could be fun, plus the empty lake beds and sand dunes to mess around on, but is there any way to access those spots without doing some serious rock crawling which my Jeep couldn't handle?

You could stay on the fire roads at JV and visit places like back door. Watch people wreck their shit lol.

Fissure Mtn is pretty easy at JV. More of a scenic trail, but there are a few easy obstacles. Don't know if 31's would cut it.

I'd say go to either Cleghorn or go to Big Bear and run Gold mtn. Also some easy stuff at Calico. Kramers Arch and Tin Pin Alley.

Next Saturday (4/24) there's an easy run lead by Randy, Notarubicon.
Checkout: https://www.notarubicon.com/event/t...ld-dale-pinkham-thermal-canyon-beginner-easy/

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
X2 to the advice to go to other locations like Big Bear or the easier canyons next to Calico Ghost Town. I haven't done Cleghorn off the I-15 but I think it's very likely suitable for your TJ and it's a heck of a lot closer for you. It's 12-13 miles long and ends up at Silverwood Lake IIRC.

Reactions: suicideking
Search up SLASH X CAFE, make it a destination from some point. Camp rock rd and Bessemmer mine rd make good start points for a day run. Hodge rd for a short trip. Check the weather, avoid the heat. Go soon or wait till fall.

There is a fun run! Man, I have not done that run for at least 20yrs. It is on my list again. Last time I did that was in my Scout.
For sure! But it has been at least since 2000 for me, also.

It’s probably paved with a strip mall at The Pinnacles and a Starbucks at Devil’s Slide by Deep Creek.

• Haha
Reactions: WSS