Would it be bad to double clutch my NSG370 6-speed?

So would you suggest rev matching up shifting at non Hwy speeds. I am not used to this jeep yet and the power doesnt seem to match the weight of it when driving at lower speeds around town.

Thanks
If you can, do it. With the factory flywheel I did have to feather the throttle on upshifts to match the RPM. When you’re accelerating, it’s better to be a little high on the engine RPM than low, but as close as possible is best.

Down shifting generally results in a lot more wear, so I would definitely recommend rev matching while downshifting. I usually give the throttle a good quick deep stab to bring the RPMs up quickly, especially when skipping gears.

If I’m passing someone on a two lane road, I know if I shift from 6th at 2000 RPM to 3rd, I need to bring it up to just over 4000 RPM prior to releasing the clutch and mashing the throttle. The rev-matching is far faster than using the clutch to bring the engine up to that speed, and the car doesn’t lose much momentum in the process, making the pass much easier and quicker.

As for the power, don’t be afraid to rev it when you need it. For general non-highway cruising, I generally hold about 2000 RPM, more for hills, less for very low load conditions. But while accelerating or climbing steeper hills, a much higher RPM is sometimes appropriate. I routinely hold 4500+ for a minute or two on the freeway when climbing steep hills, shifting to 2500 or so coming down those hills, and then running 2700-3000 RPM on flat-ish highway. If you need to accelerate quickly, floor the throttle and don’t shift until redline. Better to rev it than lug it.

I do both, maybe I’m wearing out my transmission, maybe not. But I’ve done it since the 77 Ford truck I learned a stick on so it’s just habit. I’m not that old, but haven’t busted a clutch or synchro yet. That’ll be next season.

Reactions: Blondie70
Well shoot, I know what I’m doing this Sunday.
Do the transfer case too if you haven't done it in a few years. Takes ATF+4 automatic transmission fluid.

Consider the differential fluid as well. That is supposed to be changed every 12,000 miles, but you can usually get away with longer. Definitely change it if you don't know the condition of the fluid.

Oh, and you'll need some decently large external hex drivers to remove the drain and fill plugs on the transmission (and transfer case).

I started using redline on my 2000 tj manual a year ago and it did help.After reading these posts I now know it is not just me who does slow gear changes.I was used to my miata before this but I just take the shifts slower.