Would my air bag explode if I pushed a car with my bumper?

Angio4x4

Goodmorning everyone. Guys, I have a question, the Tj is equipped with Air Bag, the one of the detachable passenger on command on the dashboard, while the one on the driver's side cannot be disconnected. I wonder, if I wanted to push a car with my bumper, would my Air Bag open? What kind of impact does it take to make it burst? Or do you just need a force on the bumper?

The airbag is triggered by a deceleration sensor located in the cabin. There are no sensors in the bumper, like newer cars have.
You should be fine to push something out of the way, as long as you don’t ram it with a lot of speed.

Just be aware there are energy absorbing holes in the frame behind the bumper that are designed to allow the frame to collapse in a crash. If you hit it with some speed you could deform the frame

Reactions: Chris and Angio4x4
Hi, thanks a lot for the answer, in truth it can happen to have to push some cars in no-parking, or someone broken down in emergency, so I would place myself slowly to the car and then push it away but I was afraid to blow up the Air Bag in this condition

It takes a major frontal impact to cause the airbags to deploy. And as said above the sensor is not in the bumper, it's inside under the console at the very front.

Reactions: Angio4x4
Just pop it in 1st and 4low and roll up to it and then push. If the other vehicle is in park or otherwise immobile the 4low will help you overcome the traction of the other car. If you have lockers you can use those as well to gain extra grip. With both lockers locked you can probably push cars heavier than yours even when they are parked with the parking brake on.

A better way might be to grab a tow strap and pull or winch them out of the way

Related:

Last edited:
Of course, I will use the 4wd low to push, unfortunately sometimes I have no chance of being able to hook the towing strap and I have to push the cars away. With the Defender I do not have this problem because it is not equipped with Air Bag, but with the Tj I have always been afraid to do so. However, it is not a habit to push cars with the bumper, but sometimes it is impossible to do otherwise, whenever possible I connect the towing strap to turn the cars on.