Would you buy this TJ?

My TJ I bought from North Carolina/Virginia. When I bought it I did finger test. It was fine. Later confirmed with a boroscope. Painted with POR and Eastwood on the inside within a month of owning.

B5697C88-81DF-4C6E-9ABF-39FE669FCE15.jpeg

4EA4217B-1483-46FA-913A-B7A1DAB8EE5D.jpeg

D5EA9862-790F-4F40-B95B-F81BD46A444B.jpeg

215F5105-2EB1-41FF-9E51-225B4F2C5556.jpeg

Is this one for sale?
Yea right. I should have bought it when I saw it before I knew any better. Waited two days to have it inspected by my mechanic and it was gone. Regretted it for a long time. It was at the dealer 2 miles from house too. That one had 65k miles. Super clean and rust free. It was priced at $11500.

Yea right. I should have bought it when I saw it before I knew any better. Waited two days to have it inspected by my mechanic and it was gone. Regretted it for a long time. It was at the dealer 2 miles from house too. That one had 65k miles. Super clean and rust free. It was priced at $11500.
Damn. Did you end up finding one?? That’s what i’m worried about. Waiting on one. Problem is i see some that i’ll have to travel across the country to look for. I think i’m being too picky. It’s not going to be perfect...

My TJ I bought from North Carolina/Virginia. When I bought it I did finger test. It was fine. Later confirmed with a boroscope. Painted with POR and Eastwood on the inside within a month of owning.

View attachment 92952

View attachment 92953

View attachment 92954

View attachment 92955
Do you have any way of telling how long something with surface rust or rust within those holes will last for? For example the jeep i attached pics of the rust in back. If i bought this, will the thing crack in a year?

In my mind, if I am going to spend my hard earned coin on any vehicle, here are my checks in order. I'll walk away at every step if it doesn't pass and not proceed further.

1) Clean and clear title, carfax with no reported collisions - do it online
2) Zero tub rust - do it online, then check in person to double check.
3) Solid frame inside and out - always do it in person!
4) Bone stock OR mods have to be recent, known, and well done (I still lean towards the former so I can do it myself and then be able to know what has been done.)
5) Everything in general working order - if something doesn't work, talk them down or have them repair it.

There is tons of info out there on what to check, how to check etc. No need to repeat here.

Good luck with your search. Be patient!

So you’d say a no go because of the sprayed paint on the hinges?
I wouldn’t want one with overspray but I’m picky. To me, overspray means a repaint and repaint means a wreck or salty conditions that ate away at the paint/body.

Can someone help me distinguish if this is a painted underneath or just really clean?

View attachment 93083

Bit hard to tell from pictures. Seems to be some overspray on the fender liners, but I'm not 100% sure. If it is painted, I don't see any rust underneath the paint. I wouldn't hesitate to check out that Jeep in person from the photos.

The tires are brand new in the pictures. Wonder if the photos might be old.

Where's this Jeep at? Is it located somewhere that gets more than 1" of snow per year? I'm not expert, but I think that's been painted. Hard to believe the underside can be that flawless with 125k on it, even down south. Repainting down't always mean rust coverup though. There's plenty of guys on here that have repainted there's and it's not to cover up rust. Just a preventative measure. My Jeep got the body painted at some point by a PO (previous owner) but has no rust or bubbles under the paint.

I came across a stone white TJ just outside of STL with under 100k and looks to be pretty clean. No lift or after market junk on it. https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/elsberry-2005-jeep-wrangler/6878803287.html (Hopefully posting this in this thread instead of the "CL Finds" thread is okay.)