Would you buy this TJ?

Ok. Do you find the stock TJs to be the same price as one with a lift and 33s, etc.

I'm looking nationwide, and willing to travel for a clean stone white TJ. I am not set in stone on the trim. A rubicon or sport would be preference. Not really familiar with the X, but id be more inclined to look.

My goal is to find a stone white TJ (whatever trim) with lower mileage, no rust. year between 2002-2006, don't care where the location is.

This will be a second vehicle, for fun, leisure drives, maybe mild off-roading.

Go to West Texas towards Arizona.

Well that's true on most any purchase. A salvaged title reduces the value quite a lot IMO. If it's been properly repaired that is one thing but you can't (most likely) get a loan on it and selling it is the same issue only with the new buyer, that is it's a cash deal.
And insurance on a prior salvage as well can be a big hairball. In some states and some insurance companies will only insure state minimums, so good luck getting another vehicle if yours gets totaled.

I as well would pass on a salvage title Jeep for $13k. Like most here have said, you can get a nice low mileage TJ for that kind of coin, even less. Be patient and if you’re willing to be more flexible on trim level and color, a deal can be found. I have an X and it came with tilt and cruise control as well. Don’t know how much different it is from a Sport because no one has power locks and most upgrade radio headunit anyways, and most have A/C. Only other difference I can think of is Dana 44 and/or 3.73 gears vs Dana 35 with 3.07 gears. Having that better axle and gears are great if you can find one that already has it, unless of course a regear is in your plans. So it’s not so cut and dry. Many factors go into it. So if I were you I wouldn’t limit myself to a white Sport. You may be missing out on other great TJs. Just my two cents.

It's fine to do it here. Lots of people have these types of questions. It benefits others.

I know a lot about the X because I've got a 2005 for almost 2 1/2 years now. I've built it from stock without having ever done more than change my oil a few times about 25 years ago. This has been a new adventure for me, and a rewarding one.

A 3" suspension lift will clear 32's with about 2" of bumpstop. It's a very solid setup. All you would need would be the springs, perhaps a spacer to get it just right, depending on what springs you go with, shocks, possibly an adjustable front trackbar and a rear trackbar relocation bracket and some extended rear sway bar links. If you're even mildly mechanically minded, you can do all this yourself.

I went with OME 2" 2934 and 2942 springs (with 10mm spacers), Rancho 5000X 2-3" shocks, a Metalcloak adjustable trackbar, OME rear trackbar relocation bracket, Rubicon Express rear extended sway bar links

Priced out the springs are $360, Shocks $200, MC adjustable trackbar $180, OME trackbar relocation bracket $20, extended swar bar links $30, bumpstops $30. The total there is $820. Install is free if you do it (and you can). Will it be hard? A little testy, but give yourself a day and a half and you'll have it all done. I've installed several suspension lifts now. Shops charge $100/hour or so. A good shop could get all this done in 5-6 hours. But get a quote before for sure. I do work for $60/hr, but I have no overhead.

I've gone much farther than this now, so I'm on 33's (view my profile if you want to see). But to get where you describe the above is a very solid build as many on this site can attest.
Ok good to know. I’m going more for look/feel. I like the big black tires and a step up to climb into. i don’t like the huge space in between. the attached photo is my end goal

BB018F35-7618-4309-A01E-D980A920659F.png

I as well would pass on a salvage title Jeep for $13k. Like most here have said, you can get a nice low mileage TJ for that kind of coin, even less. Be patient and if you’re willing to be more flexible on trim level and color, a deal can be found. I have an X and it came with tilt and cruise control as well. Don’t know how much different it is from a Sport because no one has power locks and most upgrade radio headunit anyways, and most have A/C. Only other difference I can think of is Dana 44 and/or 3.73 gears vs Dana 35 with 3.07 gears. Having that better axle and gears are great if you can find one that already has it, unless of course a regear is in your plans. So it’s not so cut and dry. Many factors go into it. So if I were you I wouldn’t limit myself to a white Sport. You may be missing out on other great TJs. Just my two cents.
Well i know i like jeeps. I don’t have much experience building them. i’ve only ever owned a JK. i’m buying a TJ because of the model and only the stone white interests me. I like the sharp white and black look with the tires and i want it to be a rig of leisure and occasional off roading.

Well i know i like jeeps. I don’t have much experience building them. i’ve only ever owned a JK. i’m buying a TJ because of the model and only the stone white interests me. I like the sharp white and black look with the tires and i want it to be a rig of leisure and occasional off roading.
Hey, you have several options. TJ's are really fun. You'll get there. Just do your research. Folks on here are really cool and know a lot. Listen to them because they know what they're talking about. And if someone doesn't, they'll let them know.

Doing this kind of work on a TJ is not difficult, it just requires patience and a few tools. Maybe you have a friend or a father who has some tools if you don't. Make a day of it and enjoy one another and really making your TJ your own. It takes on a whole new meaning when you build it. And going to 32's is not a big endeavor. Think about it. I'm on 33's and I'm ~$8K into the build.

Oh, and as you look for the Stone White TJ, look for 3.73 gears. They should work fine with 32's. It's when you have the 3.07 with 32's that you'll be hurting and wanting to regear, which is expensive!

Mine stock the day before I bought it 31's no lift...
IMG_4820.JPG

On 31's with a 2.5" lift
IMG_5891.JPG

On 33's with 4.25" of overall lift
BB0EAE07-981F-4A8F-A272-46E75EAEA499.jpeg

Reactions: b0xcar
OP, here's a thought, it may give you more options for a purchase - I've owned a stone white X, and my current silver TJR, and the silver looks just as good with the black accents/tires IMO. Food for thought.

Reactions: mots
OP, here's a thought, it may give you more options for a purchase - I've owned a stone white X, and my current silver TJR, and the silver looks just as good with the black accents/tires IMO. Food for thought.
I had the same exact thought since I own silver, and then I read your post! The bright silver paint code is indeed very light in color. Almost looks white in some light and some angles.

Hi folks,

I found a manual 2005 clean white TJ. 81,000 miles on it. No rust. Some mild cosmetic issues. Biggest issue.... driver side collision, i believe something with the axel. Now.... title is rebuilt. The seller states she bought it without a title from first owner (if that makes sense) due to the frame and condition and knew she could repair it. She had her brother repair whatever was messed up. They had to have it inspected 3 times by the state to get the title to say rebuilt. Her asking price is 13,000. Condition looks mint in person. Would you guys buy this?????
No... way, bought a 5 speed manual tj rubicon that was mint with 100,000 miles for $13,000 no rust, had all the options, hardtop buttons, lockers, Dana 44’s, factory autodiming mirrors, factory subwoofer, it was fully loaded from the factory, previous owners never took off the hard top or doors and it had never been in a collision. That Jeep is far past mint seeing as its “rebuilt” and the frame was “repaired” you never know how poor of a job they could have done or if they took shortcuts when fixing the frame that will bite you in the ass later. Definitely not worth $13,000

Hey, you have several options. TJ's are really fun. You'll get there. Just do your research. Folks on here are really cool and know a lot. Listen to them because they know what they're talking about. And if someone doesn't, they'll let them know.

Doing this kind of work on a TJ is not difficult, it just requires patience and a few tools. Maybe you have a friend or a father who has some tools if you don't. Make a day of it and enjoy one another and really making your TJ your own. It takes on a whole new meaning when you build it. And going to 32's is not a big endeavor. Think about it. I'm on 33's and I'm ~$8K into the build.

Oh, and as you look for the Stone White TJ, look for 3.73 gears. They should work fine with 32's. It's when you have the 3.07 with 32's that you'll be hurting and wanting to regear, which is expensive!

Mine stock the day before I bought it 31's no lift...
View attachment 92509
On 31's with a 2.5" lift
View attachment 92510
On 33's with 4.25" of overall lift
View attachment 92511
I must have missed when you changed springs? Thought you were running the OME Springs....

I must have missed when you changed springs? Thought you were running the OME Springs....
I am, 4.25” overall lift. 2.0” OME, 1” Spacer, 1.25” BL. Don’t worry man, you’re right on it! Haven’t missed a thing

Reactions: Mike_H
Title issues = nope.

Except in the rare case that it will be an off road beater only. Even then not even close to 13 grand.

I am, 4.25” overall lift. 2.0” OME, 1” Spacer, 1.25” BL. Don’t worry man, you’re right on it! Haven’t missed a thing
Not to hijack but do you prefer your setup over a 4-4.5” spring only lift?

Not to hijack but do you prefer your setup over a 4-4.5” spring only lift?
For 33’s yes. I prefer to have a suspension + body lift so I can do a tummy tuck. This will be a nice build and will get me pretty much anywhere I want to go on the planet. If I were going to 35’s I’d either hiline what I have or go to a 4” suspension lift + a 1.25” body lift.

Reactions: 04 LJ
@04 LJ , it’s that darn skid that hangs so low that drives me crazy. Maybe I’m opening up a can of worms doing a tummy tuck, but with my 6 speed I don’t think so. It is already really capable with the regear and lockers, best mods I’ve done, but it will be even better with the tummy tuck and under armor.

@04 LJ , it’s that darn skid that hangs so low that drives me crazy. Maybe I’m opening up a can of worms doing a tummy tuck, but with my 6 speed I don’t think so. It is already really capable with the regear and lockers, best mods I’ve done, but it will be even better with the tummy tuck and under armor.
I’m sure you’re right. I’m not locked or regeared yet. VERY rarely drive my Jeep tho so the need for a rehearing doesn’t hit me as hard as it does some who use their Jeep as a DD. I like my 33’s and like the idea of the “tummy tuck”.

Reactions: JMT