Would you buy your Jeep again?

The one I wouldn't buy again is the JK. It wasn't bad but it felt sluggish
While I’m no fan of the JK, adding the 3.6 Pentastar in 2012 was a game changer. From 07-11 they used the 3.8 minivan engine in the wrangler. My mom has a 2003 Chrysler town and country with the 3.8 and I can’t even comprehend why a team of engineers thought using that engine in a Wrangler was a good idea.

My friend had a JKU with the 3.6 Pentastar that she let me drive and man that thing could move.

Reactions: THEREALJIM
While I’m no fan of the JK, adding the 3.6 Pentastar in 2012 was a game changer. From 07-11 they used the 3.8 minivan engine in the wrangler. My mom has a 2003 Chrysler town and country with the 3.8 and I can’t even comprehend why a team of engineers thought using that engine in a Wrangler was a good idea.

My friend had a JKU with the 3.6 Pentastar that she let me drive and man that thing could move.
Totally agree, terrible engine choice. I should have been smarter at the time and test drove a 3.6 JK before I made that purchase🤦‍♂️

Well yes I would have bought mine, I haven't had it that long, but it's rust free and in good shape.

Honestly I wish I still had every Jeep back that I have ever owned.

Reactions: ToddDerrArtist
I might skip the Rubicon for an early 3 speed auto. Otherwise it would be built about like it is and will be.

Reactions: ToddDerrArtist
Knowing what you know now about your Jeep, and Jeep knowledge in general from owning one, would you buy your exact Jeep again?

YES, I would purchase my Jeep again given the chance.

I still remember the day I found it. I was 24 years old and I was driving a 1996 Ford F150, which I hated as a daily driver. I tired to find a nice used CJ7 to have fun with on the beach, but all the ones I could find were beat to death and the owners were asking way too much. So I decided to sell my truck and just buy a newer Wrangler and buy an older pickup truck instead later on. After all, with the "new" round headlamps, the new Wrangler looked almost like a CJ, right?

My first vehicle was a 1988 Ford Bronco II (remember those?), and I loved it, so the Wrangler seemed to be the obvious choice. Except I had to have one in black (like my truck) with a hard top, and it had to have the 4.0 engine with an automatic transmission (I had to keep one hand free for the babes). But I hated the brown interiors then and I hate them now. That narrowed my choice down to a Sport model. A few months later, I found a Wrangler for sale in the local Carolina trader magazine with everything I wanted on it about an hour away that was described as having "all the toys." It had every option available, except for the Dana 44 and the 3.73 axle ratio, which might be my only regret. I didn't know anything about axles and gear ratios at the time, but it did have the larger 30" tires with Gambler wheels. (I have never needed anything more though, so I really can't complain.) It had a very cool silver stripe running down the side that I thought was unique and badass - it reminded me of something a CJ7 would have on it. I immediately bought it, and have enjoyed it ever since I purchased it in 1999. To this day, MY Jeep is still the best looking TJ I have ever seen!

As I watched the TJ change over the years, I still liked mine better. For example, I like the unique 1997/early 1998 non-cruise steering wheel and the older "slider" climate controls better than the later designs. I also really dig the seat fabric design and the Mist Gray - a color that was dropped after 1998. I like the older style turn signal switch with the push/pull headlight knob better than that cheap multifunction switch Jeep switched to later. And I like the older 3-speed automatic over the later automatic overdrive that came in the later units. I have since swapped my axle ratio from a 3.07 to a 4.10, and I plan to perhaps upgrade the rear axle to a Super 35 one day. But that is what keeps my Jeep exciting to me. I wouldn't trade my 1998 model for a newer model - not even a Rubicon!

YES, I would purchase my Jeep again given the chance.

I still remember the day I found it. I was 24 years old and I was driving a 1996 Ford F150, which I hated as a daily driver. I tired to find a nice used CJ7 to have fun with on the beach, but all the ones I could find were beat to death and the owners were asking way too much. So I decided to sell my truck and just buy a newer Wrangler and buy an older pickup truck instead later on. After all, with the "new" round headlamps, the new Wrangler looked almost like a CJ, right?

My first vehicle was a 1988 Ford Bronco II (remember those?), and I loved it, so the Wrangler seemed to be the obvious choice. Except I had to have one in black (like my truck) with a hard top, and it had to have the 4.0 engine with an automatic transmission (I had to keep one hand free for the babes). But I hated the brown interiors then and I hate them now. That narrowed my choice down to a Sport model. A few months later, I found a Wrangler for sale in the local Carolina trader magazine with everything I wanted on it about an hour away that was described as having "all the toys." It had every option available, except for the Dana 44 and the 3.73 axle ratio, which might be my only regret. I didn't know anything about axles and gear ratios at the time, but it did have the larger 30" tires with Gambler wheels. (I have never needed anything more though, so I really can't complain.) It had a very cool silver stripe running down the side that I thought was unique and badass - it reminded me of something a CJ7 would have on it. I immediately bought it, and have enjoyed it ever since I purchased it in 1999. To this day, MY Jeep is still the best looking TJ I have ever seen!

As I watched the TJ change over the years, I still liked mine better. For example, I like the unique 1997/early 1998 non-cruise steering wheel and the older "slider" climate controls better than the later designs. I also really dig the seat fabric design and the Mist Gray - a color that was dropped after 1998. I like the older style turn signal switch with the push/pull headlight knob better than that cheap multifunction switch Jeep switched to later. And I like the older 3-speed automatic over the later automatic overdrive that came in the later units. I have since swapped my axle ratio from a 3.07 to a 4.10, and I plan to perhaps upgrade the rear axle to a Super 35 one day. But that is what keeps my Jeep exciting to me. I wouldn't trade my 1998 model for a newer model - not even a Rubicon!

That’s a great write-up. Obvious that you love your TJ by reading your post

Reactions: TJRick
cadescove201.jpg

Yes!!! Bought this '98 Sahara in 2014 with about 50,000 miles on it. It was a Florida Jeep, stored in a garage.

The only thing I wished it had was a Dana 44 rear end. But, I have left it stock and drive it, Now it's approaching 120,000.

I had to rebuild the rear diff when the carrier bearings failed at around 68,000. Otherwise it's just been regular maintenance and replacing wear items. Going to need tires soon. The desire is to lift and go bigger...been there done that with previous Jeeps and 4x4's. I'm going to keep it chill and leave it alone.....OH, new replacement Bestop is on the way.

Reactions: jeepins and Squatch
Nope. No way. I'd quickly buy the same year , model and mileage for the price, but would never touch one with so many cheap, failing, antiquated aftermarket parts for that price. I'd laugh at them, and wait for one for one with more perfect cosmetics as well. I doubt I'd even make an offer knowing what I know now. Maybe offer 16,000. Maybe.

I did way better on my second Rubicon , my 06 I just sold, because of this forum and all I learned. I knew what to look for and how to evaluate it, and how to correct issues without just throwing money at it, or blindly trusting a shop.

I think that speaks volumes for this forum, and I'm proud to work here now that Chris has me on full time , even if we are all working from home these days.

Can't wait til the home office opens back up.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuncLJ